IGNORED

Been Rough, but its coming together!

Hazenson

Well as some may remember, Wife, youngest daughter, and I moved to N.C. almost 3 months ago now. Well after the dust settled, we started looking hard for work. I scored first by picking up a job running a earth mover (scraper) for a place just North of us, 52 miles one way. I workeded for 2 weeks with 3 other guys, who all found this job on craigslist. The boss made lots of great promises and told us all how great his company was, and how well we were all doing, But at the end of 2 weeks he couldnt pay us. We then discovered that it was only a 4 week job and he did this to a crew before us. We were all done. We all felt pretty dumb for falling for his BS. We all had to make a dozen calls to people and eventually got our pay 6/7 weeks later and of course we were shorted with only about 50% of what was promised. I swore then that Id never take or even look at craigslist for another job and went back to other methods.

After about a week and half of not working, I started to get real nervous again, and a fella called me about a mechanic's job. I have all the tools and used to do this also. He said the guys that worked there made between 55 and 60k a year. I was pretty excited. I loaded up my tools and went to work. I worked there for 3 weeks and discovered he, also wasnt on the up and up. We was on call for 24/7 and wasnt making much. Calculated up my hours verses pay and it came to about 6 dollars an hour. I busted my tail for them too- wanting to show how dedicated and a hard worker I was. During the time I was there I asked him how he got my info- said that I had answered his ad on craigslist, ( i put in so many apps that I was no longer sure). Did I mention Dont ever even look on Craigslist for a job??

Well during my last week there and while I was waiting for my first check (paid every 2 weeks so had to wait almost 3 to get one) I got a call from UPS. I talked to a very nice man named Junior, he was interested in me for a machanic spot that had just opened up. After 2 weeks of interviews and tests, I found out that I was chosen out of the other 7 or 8 apps. I am very excited to say that I start Monday! I will be doing what I like, for a company that has been around for 105 years. I get benifets, and can join the union after 45 days.

Meanwhile wife has found a job, working in a office for the second largest construction company in the state, they love her and it looks great. Daughter also found a job with a computer tech company that works with airports around the east coast. her job really looks good also.

So after a long scary past year and a half since wife and I both lost our jobs in Michigan, things are looking good and we're very excited about the future again!!

Good to hear that things are looking up.

Not all CL jobs are crooks. the big warning signs are all new employes starting at the same time and or you being the only employe. I have found some good temp jobs to supplement my income from CL. just have to be careful.

Guest scarylarry

Daughter also found a job with a computer tech company that works with airports around the east coast. her job really looks good also.

I'm sure her and me will bump in to each other at some point...

If she holds on and picks up work knowledge she could land a job at a airport..

Thanks all, we're all keeping our fingers crossed - gonna take a bit to get feeling secure again but I think we're all on cloud 9 at the moment. On the other hand, I dont think we'll ever take our jobs for granted- was a good lesson, specially for my daughter

Good to hear you, wife, & daughter are doing well again. I know 1st hand about that panic mode feeling after being out of work a year asnd half like you all have been. Not a comfortable feeling at all & can be quite depressing at times.

Anyhow good luck for all of your future employment.

Larry

I think you folks should be very proud of yourselves to take such a gamble of just pulling up stakes and moving on to the unknown, hoping for success, like you did. That take courage and a lot of confidence. Now, congratulations for having things finally going your way and here's wishing you the best of luck in the future. You deserve it! Owen.

I think you folks should be very proud of yourselves to take such a gamble of just pulling up stakes and moving on to the unknown, hoping for success, like you did

Funny you mention this, becuz that was very hard. We bought our house, just 2 weeks shy of 25 years to the day we actually left. We had roots so deep that I never would have imagined leaving. Wife and I remodled that house from top to bottom, new well, septic system and almost anything you can think of. We always dreamed of hearing the sound of lil feet running around of grandkids, but when oldest daughter moved away and youngest had plans of it, we decided that we just wanted to be close to them. Nieghbors, friends, and family thought we had lost our minds, almost all looked at us like we were just crazy. I was very unhappy that my kids couldnt find work, even tho they both had degrees. Im sure mom and I could have found something to get by, but with out my daughters close it didnt seem worth it anymore. But were all together once again and that makes it all worth it.

Wow! I am really sorry to hear about your bad experiences and being taken advantage of. I am just glad that you are the person you are. Congrats onthe new jobs for the whole family and good luck to you all. Hope the new jobs and new location are all that you hoped they would be. :080402gudl_prv: