IGNORED

Any other HD touring bike members here?

eazyduzzit

Just wondering if there are other Harley riding members on this forum. I had Royal Star Tour Deluxe before I bought the Harley 2 years ago.

I realize there is some Harley bashing that goes on. I've probably even done it myself, but it doesn't bother me. I know all bikes have their benefits and drawbacks.

I have a GW 1800 right now but I will be looking at the HD's for my next ride..that is a long while off right now cause I love my wing, but who knows.. if a good deal comes my way, I will be on an HD too..I have never rode one but sure like the looks and sound of them and have had many friends who ride them..

Yeah, I was looking for a bike with full fairing, trunk, stereo and rider/passenger communication. I test rode a new Wing, an Electraglide and a Venture but I was really looking for used. I found this 2 year old (at the time) Ultra at three grand less than most people were asking at the time. It was low mileage and like new. It's a great bike.

Our present bike is an 06 RSV, but Harley is definitely in the running for the next bike. Had a 76 FLH back in the late 70's that I sold in 81 after getting a Yamaha XS-1100. I think Harley quality has improved to the point that they deserve a good hard look for our the next bike. Of course I could just be getting nostalgic in my old age.:backinmyday:

I picked up an '08 Road King classic a couple of months ago and so far I'm fairly happy with it. It gets better fuel mileage and has better wind management than the RSTD.

I've tried Honda twice and the RSTD and with all three I felt dissatisfied with either the lack of something, ergonomics, or an annoying sound. I really felt like metric manufactures could care less if you like their bikes or not or that they could careless about making them better. With that the only other option was an HD. I believe Yamaha could produce a better bike, but I get the feeling they don't care and there's so many sorry dealers its just not worth dealing with.

The Stratoliner is a perfect example, great looking bike but no cruise control and to small of a fuel tank. Two easy fixes! The RSV and the RSTD with the gear whine and carbs again two easy fixes that the company could fix. But they have the mindset of an auto company of we'll build it and if it doesn't do well we'll discontinue it instead of making it better.

Edited by jfoster

I bought a 2011 Road Glide Custom 2 years ago. Best thing Ive done in a long time. No desire to ride my RSTD anymore (son rides it). Not bashing the RSTD or Yamaha at all. But the fit for me is much better on the HD. I would consider the Road Glide Ultra vs. the Custom if I did it again mainly for wind protection. But I like the Custom because its lowered. Guess I will have to add lowers to my custom and change my air breather if I want to eliminate more wind. Most of all its nice to have all the options, factory or aftermarket if I do want to make those changes. If anybody is thinking HD, check out the Road Glides with the fixed fairing. It is the hottest selling HD touring bike right now I would bet. The word is out on how nice the fixed fairing rides. The handling is superb, but all you 1st genners probly have inside knowledge on that.

After 30+yrs of riding, bought my first HD this spring.

Always liked the looks and sound but was afraid of their reliability,

was used to the low maintenance of Honda and Yamaha.

I think HD has come a long ways in the last few years on workmanship.

And price wise on comparable bikes they are in line with the GW if not lower.

I still have my Gold Wing tho, going to ride them a year then decide on one. :confused24:

Here is a pic of both bikes on a recent trip with my son

yammer'which one to ride :puzzled:

[ATTACH]71513[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]71514[/ATTACH]

I bought a 2010 Ultra Limited 2 years ago and I have been very happy with it. I like the lower center of gravity and low end torque for riding around town. The '09 and later models have a new frame which gives the passenger room that is comparable to the RSV. I also like the wide range of options that are available to personalize the bike. Still have to copy all those cassettes tapes to CDs though.