IGNORED

what oil to use?

wolfdogstwo

You are going to get a lot of different answers.

Sort of like asking if you should buy a ford, chev or dodge.

The big thing is to be sure that the oil you use does not have any anti friction additives. Our wet clutches don't like that stuff!.

I use 40 wt diesel oil....Rotella

Edited by Trader

A lot of Venture riders use 10W-40 diesel oil (Rotella or equiv) because it is a bit cheaper and does NOT have friction modifiers like car oil does. Also, the diesel oil has a higher level of zinc, which the bikes need to lower transmission wear. Some use Mobile 1, but I've never used synthetic engine oil. The easiest Motorcycle oil for me to find is Valvoline 10w-40. You can find it at Advance auto and also Farm & Fleet around here. It costs about $5/qt, and in an engine oil test I saw about a year ago, it had the lowest wear of any conventional oil tested.

Then you have to find an oil filter......You can buy the Yamaha filter. I haven't bought them at my dealers for the last 15 years. When I used to buy them there, they were up to $12/each. I've also used the Fram 6002 filter cartridge, which is about $6 @ Farm and Fleet. Advance Auto and Auto Zone used to carry it for about the same price, but the last time I looked, it wasn't on the shelve with the other bike filters. Some people (including me) have had problems with the Fram car oil filters having cardboard spacers and being restrictive. The Fram 6002 bike filter is well made with as much filter media as the Yamaha filter. I wish I could find the Wix filter for our bikes, anybody have an idea where?? Also, how much are the dealers getting for Yamaha filters and Yamalube lately?

Frank D.

A lot of Venture riders use 10W-40 diesel oil (Rotella or equiv) because it is a bit cheaper and does NOT have friction modifiers like car oil does. Also, the diesel oil has a higher level of zinc, which the bikes need to lower transmission wear. Some use Mobile 1, but I've never used synthetic engine oil. The easiest Motorcycle oil for me to find is Valvoline 10w-40. You can find it at Advance auto and also Farm & Fleet around here. It costs about $5/qt, and in an engine oil test I saw about a year ago, it had the lowest wear of any conventional oil tested.

Then you have to find an oil filter......You can buy the Yamaha filter. I haven't bought them at my dealers for the last 15 years. When I used to buy them there, they were up to $12/each. I've also used the Fram 6002 filter cartridge, which is about $6 @ Farm and Fleet. Advance Auto and Auto Zone used to carry it for about the same price, but the last time I looked, it wasn't on the shelve with the other bike filters. Some people (including me) have had problems with the Fram car oil filters having cardboard spacers and being restrictive. The Fram 6002 bike filter is well made with as much filter media as the Yamaha filter. I wish I could find the Wix filter for our bikes, anybody have an idea where?? Also, how much are the dealers getting for Yamaha filters and Yamalube lately?

Frank D.

Is this the type of oil you were referring to in your first paragraph?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_rotella&174;-t-15w-40-heavy-duty-motor-oil-shell_8020590-p?searchTerm=rotella

Thanks!

I will be headed to walmart on Saturday to get me some, and then change my oil. I just got my venture not quite a month ago and have no clue when the oil was last changed. I wanted to do it sooner but have been way too busy. But with severe thunderstorms in the forecast tomorrow, it looks like a good day to get it done.

• 1 month later...
Regardless of what vehicle you drive, stick to vegetable oil for all your cooking needs.

:witch_brew:

But I get waste oil from work for FREE.

On a more serious note I quit using synthetic because I find the engine runs quieter on regular oil and when you think about it regular was good enough long before synthetic came along and dirty oil is dirty oil regardless which one you have and needs to be changed in a reasonable time frame.

...except that a real synthetic typically has a better additive package and goes much longer before needing to be changed. A true synthetic holds it's viscosity for a longer period of time, adheres better to metal surfaces, and the list goes on... One is not comparing apples to apples with conventional oil and a real synthetic... IMO.

• 3 weeks later...