IGNORED

clunking in the bottom end

Noises are hard to diagnose by description. Maybe you could also record it and post the file so we all can hear it. Also, how many miles are on the bike, and what oil are you using? Does the clunking go away when the bike is in gear and the bike not moving??

Frank D.

I wish we could hear the noise......why don't you post a video with sound.

I just got finished replacing bad carburetor diaphragms on the 89, and when I started it up the first time, it sounded like it was going to come apart. What I found was that the cylinders were way out of balance (syncronization). 2 of my cylinders were almost shut off, so the bike was idling basically on 2 cylinder--I had synced it with a couple of leaky diaphragms, and now that was fixed so the idle speed for those cylinders was wrong. What this caused was the engine speeding up and slowing down, causing the normal play in everything to go back and forth. It sounded nasty. Another way to explain this--when the 2 good cylinders would fire, the engine would instantaneously speed up, and then the 2 weak cylinders would drag it down again. Then the cycle would repeat over and over. After I syncronized the carbs, it sounded sweet. Are you sure your bike is running on all 4 cylinders, and that the carbs are synced?

If the noise is heard when you are in gear and sitting still, it's NOT the transmission bearings. Can you tell which side the noise is coming from? Ventures don't have primary chains, the engine drives the clutch via gears on the right side. I suppose there is a possibility that your cam chain is loose, but it hasn't been a problem for Ventures. The cam chain is in the center of the motor.

Frank D.