IGNORED

Thermo switch replacement

wolfdogstwo

I am going to replace the thermo switch on my 1989 VR 1300.

How big of a job is it to do? Do I need to take the right side of fairing off to get to it?

I guess it went bad when the PO had it. It has a toggle switch on the left side of fairing to turn fan on and off. Thanks.

I am going to replace the thermo switch on my 1989 VR 1300.

How big of a job is it to do? Do I need to take the right side of fairing off to get to it?

I guess it went bad when the PO had it. It has a toggle switch on the left side of fairing to turn fan on and off. Thanks.

Fairly easy to replace. You might want to consider putting a lower temp fan switch in it when you do this. I replaced mine a couple of months ago and bike now runs much cooler, like 2/3 way up gauge. Down side is the fan will run more, thus putting more load on the charging system.

Below is text from a thread I copied about a low cost replacement switch.

Picture shows fan switch on an MKII, it is the large hex head dual prong unit at bottom of coolant junction block.

Gary

Lower Temp Fan Switch

Like many, I noticed my water temp gets very close to the redline before the fan kicks in. Once it does, it cools down nicely but I feel more comfortable with the fan coming on at a lower temperature.

The thread for the switch is 16m x 1.5. Using that info, I did some searching. I found a good cheap alternative on ebay that switches on the fan significantly earlier than the stock one. The one I got was from a 1988 Chevy Sprint, part number Beck Arnley 201-1367.

Closes @ 185 Deg. F; Opens @ 194 Deg. F