IGNORED

possible wheel bearing issue

jilldwr

Hey all,

I've got a 1999 RSV with 46k miles and I noticed yesterday that when I do 60 mph, I get a humming noise from the rear tire. when I lean to the right the humming becomes MUCH louder, & when I lean the bike to the left its just a little bit louder. When I speed up to 70 mph or slow down to 50 mph, the humming goes away. I believe it's been there for awhile, I just usually have the stereo playing :whistling: and have never noticed it.

Does this sound like a worn wheel bearing? and when it hits its harmonic frequency at 60mph it humms?

Is replacing the wheel bearings a difficult task?

Do I need to purchase any special tools to accomplish this?

Thanks

D.W.

I would say tire noise as well. What brand tires and how many miles on them? Once tires get a flat spot in the midlle they can make some noise on the transition point. Do you know if the drive hub splines and pins were cleaned and greased when the tire was installed? Attached some before/after photos of my drive pins on my 06 RSTD at 22,000. The pins go into rubber bushings in the wheel, the splines that mate to the final drive are on the other side hidden in the photos. Clean and grease everything really well and be sure the rubber bushings are seated in to the wheel. There are metal inserts in the rubber bushings that the pins slide into and used a 45 cal bore brush to clean those. Thought I took pictures of that but I didn't. There is a TSB here in the Tech section on removing and cleaning this part and checking the bushings.

RSTDdog

Yes, I just removed-cleaned-regreased those last month. I wondered about tire noise but my tires don't really have flat spots yet. I'm running metzlers & the tread crosses the centerline with lots of depth in the grooves. I just had them installed last year with about 3k miles on them.

Would tire noise only occur at a specific rpm? I would have thought it would be a little more constant, like at any speed.

How many miles should a set of bearings last?

Yes, I just removed-cleaned-regreased those last month. I wondered about tire noise but my tires don't really have flat spots yet. I'm running metzlers & the tread crosses the centerline with lots of depth in the grooves. I just had them installed last year with about 3k miles on them.

Would tire noise only occur at a specific rpm? I would have thought it would be a little more constant, like at any speed.

How many miles should a set of bearings last?

I had a 99 RSV, and the right rear wheel bearing went out at just under 50k. I'd be pulling it down and replacing them if I were you. Not that bad a job.

Well, I used that Honda grease everyone raves about so they should be good. I pulled the drive shaft as well and greased the splines in there too.

To change the bearings, is there any special tool I need to buy first, was planning on using a threaded rod with nuts and washers to press the new bearings in but not sure how difficult to get the old bearings out?

I did not buy any special tools, just drove them out using what I had. Just be aware that one side has a large internal snap ring that must be removed before removing the bearing on that side. It is easy to not see the snap ring if there is a lot of grime on the hub. :whistling::whistling:

And then you'll feel like an idiot when you can't get that bearing to budge!:confused24:

You need to pull the wheel, then drive the bearings out from the opposite side. The spacer in between the bearings moves over to allow you to set a driver tool on the bearing inner race. Not all that bad of a job. Bearings are available from your local bearing dealer and at a lot better price.