IGNORED

Clicking sound when starting??? 1st Gen

My bike has started clicking if it does not start right up. So far I have continue to try to start it and it starts and the clicking stops. I have been told that the 1300 do not have a silonode (sp) but has some of typ of gear engage system instead and that is what might be causing the noise. Anyone now or had any similiar problems?

Thanks

Ventures don't have a solenoid like a GM car does, the starter drive is like a ratchet. Is the noise on the left side of the motor?? If so, your probably have the starter drive going bad. Dano has an upgraded custom starter drive that most of us install when we have this problem. You can just replace all the damaged parts with Yammie parts, but they will break again. Dano's system is bullet proof.

Or is the noise just in front of the battery?

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44547&highlight=starter

Frank D.

That clicking will soon turn into a hammering sound as things get worse. If at all possible look into Dano's upgrade engage clutch mod. It's not as pricy as it may look at first glance. Sure the parts alone are not bad if you try to do a rebuild. I had rebuilt one of mine and it ended up failing again. That may have been my own fault as getting the OEM engage aligned properly into the rotor can be a bit of a trick. Last time I checked a new OEM enagage clutch was about $167.00.

Dano's mod runs under $300.00, or it was when I bought mine. He does the machine work to your rotor to mount the new engage, installs the engage centered into the rotor and a new, a different 72 tooth ring gear. He can also supply the needed gaskets for the install.

I was the first here stateside to have this mod done and have been very pleased with the quality and performance of it. Never a miss or any issue with it at all.

But if it comes down to needing a new engage clutch.... Dano's mod is the best answer for the problem.

Mike

Thanks for all the help. This has to be the best board around.

I had after I posted my question figured out how to use the forum a little better (still learning so this reply my be in wrong place) and found out what you guys pointed too from your previous post on that subject. My bike has less than 23,000 miles on it but had set up for a long time and been working out bugs now for about 9 months.

I have a friend who does my work for me and he thought that was the problem. He has worked of Kaw's but this will be his first Venture and I will show him all the post on this and if we decide on using the kit rebuild by Dano I will need the address so.....

Not sure how the PM function works or I would PM Dano and will try to figure that as well but if not can someone post a mailing address or phone info???

Again my thanks for the speedy replies, great help, and bothering to answer a question you all had answered before. Means a lot to see that kind of folks in today's world.

My bike has been way too costly and way not riden enough and still one repair after another but has to be the best riding bike I have ever ridden as far as a old and messed up back is concerned and I like the way she handles also. I sold a 2002 goldwing and had 3 others as well so not sure how the newer Ventures ride comparied to the late models Gen 1 but nothing I have ever riden comes close.

Thanks again guys I try to find how to the PM thing lol.

Roger

This will take you to his profile page. His number is shown there. Across the top is a selection of functions and you can chose the "contact info" to send him a PM or e-mail from there.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=2796

I bought my '84 at the end of '06. Pretty much non-running and a lot of parts torn down in boxes. Had it running by that next spring and with the advice and info offered here, not to mention a ready supply of odds and ends no longer available from the stealers it's been a ongoing project since then with improvements and upgrade mostly created by many of our members. I've got five years of riding in on the bike now with a bit over 30,000 miles on it since I brought it home on a trailer.

These old girls are a heck of a ride when they come together. I'm hanging onto this one no matter what else ends up in the stable.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth