IGNORED

IMC headset question

Wrench

Is anyone here using the IMC helmetless headsets? I really like wearing a half helmet the majority of the time, and this headset looks like what I've been wanting. I had the JM/Yamaha sets with the '04 Venture, but sold them a little over a month ago before I knew I was going to get another Venture. In fact, the guy I sold them to is how I found out about the '99. I've been scouring the 'net tonite looking at them on several sites and most reviews lean towards using a mic mute, which the previous owner had installed. I'd be willing to give up a little of the audio quality to have the helmet flexibility. The wife and I have been talking, and she kinda wants to go back with what she had since she only wears an open-face. Any experience/info, good or bad, is appreciated. Also, does anyone have a '99-'00 style cb antenna? The chrome threaded "cup" that unscrews and lets them fold over was seized up on both. I got the radio antenna freed up, but the little hinge connector inside the cb twisted and broke. I'll probably never use the cb, but I would like to be able to fold both antennas down to cover it up.

I have a set and I don't like it, the sound is good however theey were made to use without a helmet and using it with a half helmet hurts my ears and if I use it with my scorpian half helmet it gets unbearable real quick. I broke down and bought the IMC half helment ones and I really like those.

I have used the J&M as well and the were fine, but, the speakers are really REALLY big and takes alot of work to get them to fit in your helmet. ie: cutting out foam.

We recently bought the scorpion transformer helmets and I purchased the IMC ones that were made for the Scorpion helmet. The IMC ones fit better as the speakers are not even half the thickness of the J&M ones. In my opinion, they have better sound quality too. There is only one downside to the IMC ones and that is if you are running a stubby shield or no shield, the wind noise is louder than the J&M ones. I ran with the small 8" smoke shield in town and for travelling the tall clearview shield. My solution was that when I ran the stubby shield, I turned the intercom volume down about 3 notches and all was well.

Hope this helps.

:080402gudl_prv:

I have a the IMC helmet-less headset and don't like it. I use it with my half helmet and after an hour I have to take it off because it hurts my ears. I've never ridden without a helmet so I can't say how that would be.

Having said all of that, the sound quality is fantastic compared to the J&M in my 3/4 helmet. BUT! the mic pics up everything. So with a mic mute or 0 intercom volume you'd be ok.

We use them with the half helmets and I like them fine. the speakers are pretty good quality and the mic does pick up wind. we have the mic mute so we just shut them off. My wife has complained about her ears getting sore. Mine seem to work just fine. I bought them from sierra electronics and they were around 75 dollars.

We've been using the IMC for over a year now with one small problem. My wife's mic stopped working (Told her that I didn't see the problem...OUUCH!!! Won't say that again!). When I checked I found a small uninsulated wire coming from the mic so I soldered it and it has been fine since. Had J&M previously and didn't like the thickness of the speakers. We both have full face helmets and the sets made for those. The sound from them is at least as good as from the J&M's but, yes, the mic's are sensitive. We're quite happy with them.

Andy

My wife and I have been using the IMC's since 2009 and about 25k of miles. They're pretty good overall (especially for the price). The fireiwire style plug developed a short so I only have one ear and IMC wouldn't sell me just the plug. They insisted I buy the whole assembly. Wires coming out of the helmet are flimsy. We use with modular helmets and I usually have mine open all the time. More bass would be nice. Would buy again.