IGNORED

Not to bash Harley's but.....

Trader

Yesterday I pulled up beside a group of Harley's at a stop light. One guy was yelling and gesturing to the bike in front of him. (beside me)

The guy beside me bent over and picked up a chrome plug that fell off the end of his handle bar.

And here I thought you guys were just joking about Harley's losing parts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ventures, like Harleys, Hondas, and all other makes and models loose parts on the highway and or break down.

Same as Fords, Chevy's or Chryslers..Im thankfull for Tow Trucks..

My 05 Venture left me on the road twice and had bolts from the rear fender fall off on the highway.

The fuel pump went out about a half mile from my house, and I had to push it back home. It broke down again on the way to Ft. Collins and I had to tear it apart on the side of the hwy with a police officer and a few other VR members watching me. Luckily I got it running and was able to complete the trip with out any other problems.

I have seen many a post here on the site where someone on a Venture broke down, lost a part or had to be towed home.

It know it seems to always be the "norm" to mention or laugh when a Harley looses a part or breaks down, but being a VR member, we all one in the same. I have been guilty myself for bashing Harleys.

Trader, I am not bashing you or anyone for posting that a Harley lost a part or broke down.

As a VR family member, we say we dont care what you ride and that all are welcome here on the site, and anyone is welcome to ride with us.

I am going to do what I can from now on to "walk the talk".

So far, I have been very lucky in that my GW has not left me stranded

ECK you make a good point.

I guess what makes it funny is when you think of the prices we pay for bikes now a days. I remember a few years ago following a guy on a Bourget or Big Dog or one of those $60 thousand dollar bike flying down the road and the poor rider trying to catch a big chromed bolt that came flying off his handle bar riser. He almost had it too. Oddly he didn't go back to get it. when you pay that kind of money for a hand built machine i guess it's not to much to hope that all the parts have been installed properly. :thumbsup2:

Harleys have always had the reputation of losing parts, mainly because of the mass amount of vibration. I had both of the front brake caliper bolts fall out on my Suzuki Volusia, the trunk hinge screws were a problem with my '04 Venture, and there was always something coming loose on the Roadstar, man, it vibrated really bad. I've been going over the '99 Venture I just bought, checking the usual suspects and found the driving light bar was loose. I usually go over my bikes during the winter and check as many of the bolts/fasteners as I can. Just a dab of blue Loc-tite will go a long way to keep everything in place and give you some peace of mind. And don't forget torque specs on the important stuff too!!

... Just a dab of blue Loc-tite will go a long way to keep everything in place and give you some peace of mind....

See if I say it before anyone else.... DON'T use Loc-tite !!!! It will eat the abs plastic !

As for Harley bashing....it is right that no matter what you ride/drive, at some point something will vibrate loose or you'll have a problem. Probably because of the "Harley" attitude we make fun of them and break downs, oil leaks, loose parts get amplified in proportion to the hollier than thou attitude a number of Harley riders seem to have.

Ventures, like Harleys, Hondas, and all other makes and models loose parts on the highway and or break down.

Same as Fords, Chevy's or Chryslers..Im thankfull for Tow Trucks..

My 05 Venture left me on the road twice and had bolts from the rear fender fall off on the highway.

The fuel pump went out about a half mile from my house, and I had to push it back home. It broke down again on the way to Ft. Collins and I had to tear it apart on the side of the hwy with a police officer and a few other VR members watching me. Luckily I got it running and was able to complete the trip with out any other problems.

I have seen many a post here on the site where someone on a Venture broke down, lost a part or had to be towed home.

It know it seems to always be the "norm" to mention or laugh when a Harley looses a part or breaks down, but being a VR member, we all one in the same. I have been guilty myself for bashing Harleys.

Trader, I am not bashing you or anyone for posting that a Harley lost a part or broke down.

As a VR family member, we say we dont care what you ride and that all are welcome here on the site, and anyone is welcome to ride with us.

I am going to do what I can from now on to "walk the talk".

So far, I have been very lucky in that my GW has not left me stranded

Yes Eck, In theory and principle I agree with you.

But, I think Harley bashing is just a natural reaction to the HD brand loyalty snobs mentallity toward riders of anything else that we see so often from die hard HD riders. I myself love to play a game I call smoking Harleys with my first gen at every chance I get. Just to let the Harley Snobs know it was a 25 year old metric Yamaha that just blew them off the road.:7_6_3[1]:

Only in the safest, friendliest sort of way of course. :whistling:

Ummm, Dragonslayer, I don't use it on ABS, and I've never had a problem using it (other than using RED by mistake one time, oops!).

Another choice:

Clear or black RTV works just as well..a little dab on the threads and will not destroy the plastic..and th ebolt will nto come loose..

Edited by Eck

Yes Eck, In theory and principle I agree with you.

But, I think Harley bashing is just a natural reaction to the HD brand loyalty snobs mentallity toward riders of anything else that we see so often from die hard HD riders. I myself love to play a game I call smoking Harleys with my first gen at every chance I get. Just to let the Harley Snobs know it was a 25 year old metric Yamaha that just blew them off the road.:7_6_3[1]:

Only in the safest, friendliest sort of way of course. :whistling:

It is not the bikes, it's the "SOME" of the people riding them..

Bashing a particular (stupid) Harley RIDER is one thing, and not all HD riders are snobs in my opinion, however, the intent of my comment in the above post was reffering to bashing the HD model type bikes in general.

Not all Harley riders are dumb though.

Was having breakfast with friends last weekend and a group of five Harley's parked near my bike. Watched them thru the window for 10 minutes as they looked closely at my 09 RSV. 10 minutes ! Leaning over it looking at the dash, feeling the seat, kneeling looking at the motor, chrome, and shaft drive....

Guest tx2sturgis

I remember a year or two ago, that a member posted that his windshield came loose and hit him in the head while riding...caused some injuries too!

Don't remember THAT ever happening on a Harley...

Speaking of Bourgets, True Story:

Many years ago, an acquaintance brought a new $40,000 custom Bourget (non-harley) chopper into the HD dealer in Amarillo because of a breakdown...I happened to be in the shop when they were in the process of disassembling the primary drive. I asked the owner what happened, and he told me he was riding it and it just made a HELLUVA racket, and quit moving, altho the engine was still running, barely.

As we watched, the mechanics pulled off the cover, and the crankshaft sprocket was destroyed, and the reason was obvious: The tabs on the tab washers had never been bent up to secure the hexbolts that hold it on the hub. So they unscrewed, and were slung into the primary drive chain and the sprockets, causing massive damage.

A simple oversight by an assembler caused hundreds of dollars in damage.

The owner of the bike called the Bourget Company, in Phoenix I believe, while I was standing right there. They told him 'sure, its covered under warranty, just bring it in.'

BRING IT IN? 'Yes' they said...'we need to see the damage ourselves'...Are you frigging kidding me? Amarillo is about 800 miles or so from Phoenix...its not exactly a trip across town.

The owner told them F******U and hung up.

It was much cheaper to pay for the repairs than to haul the bike on a 1600 mile roundtrip! And of course the builder KNEW that.

Live and learn. At least Harleys have a decent dealer network and the warranty is good in damn near any Harley dealer you ride it into. I know this first-hand.

The few times I have had issues in Amarillo with my RSV, the idiot at the Yamaha dealer there, first asks me if I bought it there, and then when I say no, he proceeds to give me the runaround.

My point is, ANY bike can have problems. Its the dealer network and the people who stand behind it that really make a difference.

Rant Mode Off.:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Live and learn. At least Harleys have a decent dealer network and the warranty is good in damn near any Harley dealer you ride it into. I know this first-hand.

I know of three Harley owners in my small network of riders that I know that would argue with you about the warranty and "decent dealer network" you mentioned.

Two of which say that they will never buy another Harley again.

Not all Harley riders are dumb though.

Was having breakfast with friends last weekend and a group of five Harley's parked near my bike. Watched them thru the window for 10 minutes as they looked closely at my 09 RSV. 10 minutes ! Leaning over it looking at the dash, feeling the seat, kneeling looking at the motor, chrome, and shaft drive....

Hope you made sure nothing was missing from the bike before you rode off....:yikes::canada:

Yeah....Harley's, Yamaha's, whatever.

Anything that is an electro/mechanical device is going to break down...and if it's mobile it's going to lose a part or 2 over time.

The fact that our bikes are getting on to 30 years old is a testament to how well they are built.

I wasn't trying to be nasty...just having fun.

But Harley's just make it so easy!:whistling:

HD's are beautiful bikes. But #1. They are overpriced in my book. and #2. Quality needs to come up alot more to justify the price. Even if they sold for $5k less than a Yammi, they would not be worth it because of the quality innconsistancies.

I will stick to my metric bike for awhile longer.

It is not the bikes, it's the "SOME" of the people riding them..

Bashing a particular (stupid) Harley RIDER is one thing, and not all HD riders are snobs in my opinion, however, the intent of my comment in the above post was referring to bashing the HD model type bikes in general.

Yes Eck, Your right. There is always a negative element in any microcosm of any sub culture of society or society as a whole. My up bringing tells me it is wrong to judge all by the actions of a a few. If it was OK to do so we all would be subject to condemnations by others for whatever reason. The Make, Model or brand does not make the man.

But in reality, perceptions end up being reality. Stereo types end up being the definition of the group. These stereo types are perpetrated by the marketing of the brand. I quote," You meet the nicest people on a Honda" What image or brand loyalty does HD market. The resulting stereo types are what they are not because of my opinion but the opinions of the majority that see the group for the characterizations, attributes and attitudes they project.

We do the same even in this forum family of individuals who openly applaud each other. I give as an example the good natured jabs and condemnations between the 1st and 2nd genners or the dark siders and the rest of us. I know I am truly guilty of the same. Hopefully, when I do it, it comes across as good natured ribbing and not mean, hurtful or destructive condemnation.

Do I care what you ride? Absolutely not. Do I think any less of you because you now ride a GW instead of a Yamaha? Absolutely not. Would I reject the thought of HD riding friends and refuse to ride with them? Absolutely not. Do I enjoy out running HD's? Absolutely........ I can't help it. Don't hate me because 1st gens are so much faster.

Because I know, That I could be riding a HD too ........ If I wanted to be a follower instead of a leader.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

My last three bikes have all been Yamaha's. Never been left on the road by any of them. My Roadstar split the driving lite bar until I brike down and got one with a tube frame instead of a flat bar. My Venture never lost anything off it, but I only had it for a year and a half before it was totaled. My current RSTD has about 21000 on it and it just keeps running better everytime I take it out. One of my family has a CVO Ultra which I love. Runs great, handles very well and sounds like only a big V twin can. The front wheel also shakes across the paint strip if it is sitting on one at a lite and I can buy a whole lot of Yamaha's for 40000 dollars. But when it comes to vibration, NOTHING beats the old BSA Lighening and Triumph Bonneville's I had. Anything and everything could vibrate off them. I remember riding so long at speed that when I finally came to a stop my legs didn't want to work. I don't have a problem with Harleys, its there riders that I have a problem with. Most don't seem to realize there are other great bikes out on the road too. The ones that do know that are the bikers to me. The others are just holding handle bars

Speaking of dumb. I've read posts; won't mention where, where someone was asking how the oil was checked. They weren't harley owners either. My point is regardless of the type bike one may ride has nothing to do with their IQ. Who knows that 2013 Harley FLHTCUI Screamin Eagle may be all the poor fella can afford.

All my die hard Harley buddies are slowly switching their brands, a lot more rice burners and from guys who used to comment they didn't even want to b seen with a rice burner, most seem to go to wings.

Age and branding change with time

Time tells all tales and heals all wounds:backinmyday:

I was told Harley's had the oil leak problems fixed,so I went out and bought my son a 2001 883 sportster a few years back just so he could say he has a Harley.He rode it 200 miles and had oil all over the side coming out of the air cleaner so when I went to the dealer to get oil and a filter for it I asked about it and the guy say's yes they screwed up and put the breather tube in the bottom of the air cleaner when they should have put it in the top.He told me how to fix it plug the hole in the bottom and drill a hole in the top and insert the tube or do like most people do and everytime you change oil put a kotex or sanitary napkin in the bottom of the aircleaner to soak up the oil.I did then I sold it. Imagine the crap I hear from Harley riders when I talk to them and they find out my name is Harley and they say Cool what do you ride and I PROUDLY say a 2001 Royal Star Venture.