IGNORED

Battery Life ... ?

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Greetings

I had to replace my Battery today, on the road, and was wondering if 4 years on the OEM Battery is normal or below normal, for a well maintained Battery?

Guest Slab_Ryder

Sarges, you are not wrong with the Wonkeyness before it goes. Lost my highway lights, then Cruise, then Radio , then everything. One thing snowballed to another. Lucky for me I knew I was 20 mins walk from a dealer!!

On my last bike 07 Kawasaki 900 vulcan It gave no warning. I went out one day to start and it engaged starter more than just the click noise. But second time nothing. I cleaned terminals still nothing. checked it with volt meter 0. So I took it down to be checked it was DOA. I think it was about maybe 4yr old then.

Ventures, both 1st and 2nd gen are very hard on batteries. The charging systems are marginal at best and when you start adding lights and all the other electronics we like to use, it taxes the charging system and thus the battery. As a rule of thumb, for me this is, I change them out after 3 years no matter how good they appear to be. I have had several be absolutely fine and then the next day are junk, no warning, no nothing. 4 years is a decent run, and for this bike I believe you got your monies worth out of it...

:2cents:

When I had the '04 for sale last year it was sitting on the dealers floor and someone left the key on accy. and ran it down. They jumped it for me and I brought it home, put it on the charger, but the battery was toast. It was the original battery and I had never had any problems til then. Yes Squidley, the charging systems are pretty weak. I swapped out the spot light halogen bulbs on the Roadstar from 35watt to 55watt because I couldn't find 35's anywhere locally. I put a voltmeter on it and watched the charging system at work and it could just barely keep up with the 55's on. I ordered the 35's and all was well after that. I have asked this question on another site, with no clear answer, and I'm just curious. Why does the Venture use sealed beam spots and the Roadstar use halogens? The housings are even different so you can't change from one type to the other. The '99 has 30watt sealed beams in them. Just another "inquiring mind" thing.:confused24:

I've got the original battery in my 2006 with 56k miles & it's still going strong. Have I now jinxed it by saying that? :think:

Yep, you sure did. You might have to buy two batteries just to make up for the extra life you got out of this one!:rotf:

Six years on bike battery is very good.:080402gudl_prv:

• 5 months later...

Replaced my battery (again) today with a Batteries Plus X2-AGM-20HL-BS. It has a two year warranty. Paid $124.99 with a $10 off coupon. I know I can get $30 - $40 less expensive online. But I wanted a local place to deal with. The last two batteries I had were YUASA YTX20L-BS and only lasted a tad over three years. Thought I'd try something different this time around. I use a battery tender and the bike has an alarm system so I know it always uses some power.

• 4 years later...

I tried to my Venture today and all I heard was a click...the 2nd time I pressed on the start button, another 'click' then all went dark. I noticed 2 months ago that my battery conditioner has been constantly turning on while plugged in on the bike. I thought this did not look normal to me. I am now leaning towards a very weak and dying/dead battery. Need to ride tomorrow, so I will have to pickup a new one locally.

I tried to my Venture today and all I heard was a click...the 2nd time I pressed on the start button, another 'click' then all went dark. I noticed 2 months ago that my battery conditioner has been constantly turning on while plugged in on the bike. I thought this did not look normal to me. I am now leaning towards a very weak and dying/dead battery. Need to ride tomorrow, so I will have to pickup a new one locally.

So this is a reply to my own post....

I cleaned both battery terminals the other day and rode since then with no ill effects at all. I noticed very minimal amount of dirt and corrosion on the terminals - cleaned with a small wire brush and wiped clean and then reinstalled connectors. It is just amazing no matter how small the dirt is around the terminals, it still has a significant effect on the starting ability of the battery. FWIW, this is my 2nd battery and has lasted about 4 years now. The bike has 51K miles to date.