IGNORED

The Beagle has landed

Miles

Okay, so the first leg of my Three Flags Classic rally ride is completed. Left my home yesterday, just outside of Olympia, WA., and made it down to El Paso, TX. in slightly under 24 hours. That was 1,727 miles from home to El Paso.

Had horrendous head winds through Idaho, fuel mileage down to 28mpg. Lots of wind in the higher mountains, and...BigLenny...I have to agree with my compatriot MikeWA that simple physics on a naturally aspirated bike will show you that riding in much higher elevations will show you a lack of power on your '07 RSTD. I certainly felt that lack of power crossing passes at 6,000 and 7,500 ft. Passing power was affected, and I had to drop a gear more times that usual to go the speeds I wanted to.

No rain to mention, but the heat was a killer. It was 98 in Boise, 92 in Cortez, CO, and mid 90's in El Paso. There was one particular (fun to watch) lightning show in far southest Utah, but I avoided being struck, (ha ha). Being from western WA., I really like riding in 60's degree weather. The hotter it gets, the less miles I am wanting to do. Give me a solid 60 degrees, and I can bust out 1500 + miles every day.

So I made it to El Paso, and now we wait for all the "normal" riders to show up over the next two days. The we leave here at 3:00 am on Friday, head to Buena Vista, CO., then to Little America, WY., and then Dillon, MT., and finally end in Nelson, B.C.

Entire round trip for me, home to home, should be about 4,500 miles. Other than lack of power at higher elevations, the bike ran excellent. The greatest asset on this ride has to be my new Russell Day-Long Saddle. My 10th seat from them, and by far the best yet. Never once had one second of discomfort in 1,727 miles in under 24 hours.

Time to get into my motel room, and get some sleep. If I can, still UP from the ride.

Had horrendous head winds through Idaho, fuel mileage down to 28mpg. Lots of wind in the higher mountains, and...BigLenny...I have to agree with my compatriot MikeWA that simple physics on a naturally aspirated bike will show you that riding in much higher elevations will show you a lack of power on your '07 RSTD. I certainly felt that lack of power crossing passes at 6,000 and 7,500 ft. Passing power was affected, and I had to drop a gear more times that usual to go the speeds I wanted to.

Miles,

Thanks for the info. I had it in my mind that even though I haven't ridden at the 7000+ altitudes that are out in the west, I was sure that I would experience a power loss when I got out there. However, some that responded to my question said that I shouldn't feel a difference at all.

It looks like for right now, we are gonna head west tomorrow afternoon, and forget the idea of an eastern vacation. That would only change if Isaac gets a more promising forecast of staying north-northeast once it comes up through Ar, Mo, Il.

Okay, so the first leg of my Three Flags Classic rally ride is completed. Left my home yesterday, just outside of Olympia, WA., and made it down to El Paso, TX. in slightly under 24 hours. That was 1,727 miles from home to El Paso.

No rain to mention, but the heat was a killer. It was 98 in Boise, 92 in Cortez, CO, and mid 90's in El Paso. There was one particular (fun to watch) lightning show in far southest Utah, but I avoided being struck, (ha ha). Being from western WA., I really like riding in 60's degree weather. The hotter it gets, the less miles I am wanting to do. Give me a solid 60 degrees, and I can bust out 1500 + miles every day.

So I made it to El Paso, and now we wait for all the "normal" riders to show up over the next two days. The we leave here at 3:00 am on Friday, head to Buena Vista, CO., then to Little America, WY., and then Dillon, MT., and finally end in Nelson, B.C.

Entire round trip for me, home to home, should be about 4,500 miles. Other than lack of power at higher elevations, the bike ran excellent. The greatest asset on this ride has to be my new Russell Day-Long Saddle. My 10th seat from them, and by far the best yet. Never once had one second of discomfort in 1,727 miles in under 24 hours.

Time to get into my motel room, and get some sleep. If I can, still UP from the ride.

Dude figuring 10 minute stops for gas ect every 200 miles that is averaging 90 mph. Even if you don't stop for gas that is over 70 mph average. Even runing slabs that would be hard to do.:confused24:

Dude figuring 10 minute stops for gas ect every 200 miles that is averaging 90 mph. Even if you don't stop for gas that is over 70 mph average. Even runing slabs that would be hard to do.:confused24:

Hunter 1500...so, what are you saying?

Hunter 1500, it has been a long standing rule in the long distance/endurance riding community that we do not discuss the speeds that are ridden on any ride.

I may have made a better statement in my original post by simply stating that I made it from Olympia, WA, to El Paso, TX. in under 24 hours. That was...I would not have posted the actual miles ridden. It is easy enough for those that read...to do the math.

We have found, especially in the current time of social media, and political correctness, that posting speeds ridden only draws a negative light to our lifestyle.

I am willing to discuss this matter with you in a PM, but not on an open forum.

I will end this by simply stating that there are different levels of riders, as with any faction in society. Long Distance/Endurance riders simply ride a different style of riding than most others, and it is proven that the LD/E and IBA riding communities have the best safety records for riding...per mile ridden...than any other riding group, as a whole.

Thanks for listening,:)

RiderInTheSnow, it was nice to meet you on this years Three Flags Classic. I wish that more members of this forum would ride the Three Flags.

Glad to hear you are home, safe, even if it is in Winnipeg. At least that is where we will end the ride next year.

Take care,

Miles