IGNORED

Another 1st Gen gas smell

So I know it is somewhat of a common problem on our 1st Gens. They are just so dang fast the gas fumes in the tank cannot keep up with the bikes. :shock3:

My bike has developed the “gas smell in the garage” syndrome. It seems to be getting worse. I have checked the diaphragms, checked for overflow from the carbs. Adjusted the idle screws. Trying to decide the next step.

So, what are the solutions that you guys have found ? What is the next couple of steps I should try ? :confused24:

Your probably experiencing flatulence. It's probably caused by a lactose intolerance from stopping at all the Dairy Queens and consuming large amounts of ice cream. Just something that happens with age.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

So I know it is somewhat of a common problem on our 1st Gens. They are just so dang fast the gas fumes in the tank cannot keep up with the bikes. :shock3:

My bike has developed the “gas smell in the garage” syndrome. It seems to be getting worse. I have checked the diaphragms, checked for overflow from the carbs. Adjusted the idle screws. Trying to decide the next step.

So, what are the solutions that you guys have found ? What is the next couple of steps I should try ? :confused24:

KIC & battled the dreaded stink for a few months. I had to keep the garage cracked so that the stink wouldn't overpower the garage. My 84 only has 15K miles now but it is 28 years old.

I tried a lot of things. Seafoam treatments (as you know) are a must. I cleaned the airbox. Tightend the rubber carb boot clamps.

Then when I replaced the fuel filter, I got the bright idea of replacing the fuel lines ALL OF THEM, even though they looked good. From the Petcock to the carbs & every piece in between.

All the old lines (cloth braid) I pulled off looked fine but were probably OEM. After I replaced them and the clamps the smell got lighter. It would take a few hours not DAYS for the smell to clear. After a week the stink cleared up altogether. It appeared the pump to carb hose was V E R Y lightly weeping.

I guess to took a week for the carb & everything else to dry off.

Give it a shot, at best for a few bucks it takes care of it, at worst you replace your filter (I used a Purolator F10024) & lines & don't have to worry about them for a long while.

There's a line going from the petcock to the fuel filter. It runs under a seam in the tank. The seam has a protector on that spot where the line goes under it, so that the line isn't cut by the seam and the swing arm. If you lost the protector, then you may have a little bitty hole in it there. You should see wet if that is the case.

Your probably experiencing flatulence. It's probably caused by a lactose intolerance from stopping at all the Dairy Queens and consuming large amounts of ice cream. Just something that happens with age.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hey.... who left the door open and let the 2nd Genners in here ???? :rasberry:

I too suffered this problem. Here's what solved mine.

Take the carb drain screws all the way out. Inspect the screw tip, it's probably rusted and needs replaced. But what really solved it for me was the rubber o-ring on that screw.

It was rotted and cracks galore. Replaced them and no more gas smell.

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody know what length of hose I will need to replace all the gas line ? What size hose is it ?:confused24:

I would like to buy it prior to tearing the bike apart. :detective:

Best to order the OEM fuel lines, all of them !! makes the job a lot eaiser, trust me , I been there.

I replaced all my lines with 5/16th gas line.

I had the "gas smell" and it was the petcock .... beyond repair so I bought a brand new one.

The lines are 8mm, and some have special shapes pre-bent into them. They are also horribly expensive and regular fuel line plus stainless steel worm drive clamps can easily be made to fit.

I had to search to see what a "worm drive clamp" was. Then I felt really stupid when I saw the pics. :whistling:

That's mu fault ... sorry 'bout that.

I still get confused. Even after seven years+ in the US I still sometimes use the English terms for things.

I get confused too :D

I work on old acvw's and the braided lines in the trunk need changed when they get old...The look fine but if you rub your fingers over them they smell and the smell comes out of the front trunk and into the cabin...I guess these old cloth lines do the same...I love working on vintage items:301: