IGNORED

Key question

Wrench

I just bought a '99 RSV, and the original owner had replaced the ignition switch, leaving me with a different key for the rest of the locks. My question is, since they are double-sided keys, if two locksets can be cut on the same key? I know there are more pins/tumblers in these locks, but on older Ford vehicles you could cut 2 different vehicle ignition keys on one key, one on one side, one on the other, it would require a blank key to start out with. Just an inquiring mind thing.:confused24:

Guest tx2sturgis

One of the reasons that the keys have two identical sides is because they wear down some after many years of use. Assuming a person uses both sides about the same number of times, the key should last about twice as long as a key with only one usable side.

I think its a great idea, but I would have a master key cut, make sure it works, then put it in a safe place after having several working duplicates made.

Then if you still have the bike in 5 or 10 years and need a new key, use the master to have a new duplicate key cut, since making copies of worn down keys is sometimes a gamble, although a good locksmith can compensate for the wear when he cuts a new key.

It should work out fine.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
You can only do that if the locks all use the same blank.

True, and my assumption is that the new ignition switch uses the same blank as the old one...

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks tx2, I thought that it should work, I'll have to see my dealer about getting some blanks. MiCarl, it's a 2nd Gen, and the 2 keys are the same, just different cuts.

You bet, and any decent locksmith will have those blanks...although the head of the key will most likely be a normal flat shape, not the fancy plastic head the factory keys have.

Guest tx2sturgis
Yes you can cut a different cut pn each side, however why not just take the replacement ignition cylinder to the same smith and have it keyed to the rest of the locks?

It's very easy. And yes i have:confused24:

Again, I had assumed the new ignition switch was already installed in the bike.

Removing it and having it changed to fit the other locks would seem to be a bit of a pain...I would think that it might be easier to remove the lock cylinders from the trunk and saddlebags and maybe have them modified.

But what do I know?

Again, I had assumed the new ignition switch was already installed in the bike.

Removing it and having it changed to fit the other locks would seem to be a bit of a pain...I would think that it might be easier to remove the lock cylinders from the trunk and saddlebags and maybe have them modified.

But what do I know?

Lets see?

Remove 2 seat bolts, 3 tank bolts and 2 ignition replacement screws and unplug 1 switch to take to the smith.

Take the left saddlebag lid apart 3 scrivetts "they suck" then two bolts and remove lock

Repeat above 2nd bag

Repeat above tour pack

Remove left helmet lock 1 easy bolt

Repeat above lock 2

Remove gas cap easy enough

Pay locksmith for 1 lock tumble kit or ........6

Hmm?:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
Lets see?

Remove 2 seat bolts, 3 tank bolts and 2 ignition replacement screws and unplug 1 switch to take to the smith.

Take the left saddlebag lid apart 3 scrivetts "they suck" then two bolts and remove lock

Repeat above 2nd bag

Repeat above tour pack

Remove left helmet lock 1 easy bolt

Repeat above lock 2

Remove gas cap easy enough

Pay locksmith for 1 lock tumble kit or ........6

Hmm?:whistling:

:rotf:

Ok, do it that way...see do I care!!

I will have to admit I forgot about the gas cap AND helmet locks...In 5 years of ownership of my Venture I only tried to use the helmet locks one time. I had a female guest rider who wanted to lock up her expensive HD helmet and so I tried to operate the helmet lock...they both opened but would not latch closed.

I regarded them as useless before, and REALLY useless after I tried to use them.

If yours work, and you use them, fine.

I cant see the logic in locking up a cheap helmet, and expecting an 'expensive' helmet to be secure with those locks seems silly to me...someone could always cut the strap if they really wanted that helmet.

But again...what do *I* know??? :bowdown:

Upon further inspection I found that I had 2 ignition keys and only 1 key for the rest of the locks. I stopped by the locksmith and she told me that she could re-key the ignition to match the locks, which would be a better solution than using a double-cut key. For now I'm just going to have an extra lock key cut, then get the ignition done this winter. Thanks for all the input.