IGNORED

PayPal acct hacked

1BigDog

Last week I received a suspicious email from PayPall saying my security needs updating. Notice the spelling in PayPall. I fordwarded this scam email to PayPal and thought all was well. I never opened the link.

Decided to check my emails today and found several notices from PayPal about a new recurring 50 buck withdrawl. Went to my account and found I was hacked. Somehow they got my password and set up an automatic withdrawl. So far my bank account was charged 100 with another 100 pending. PayPal had me update my security info and put a stop on this new account and is going to issue the refund within 7 days. You guys may want to look at your accounts as well. First time I ever had an issue with PayPal and they resolved it swiftly.

I ran into a paypal issue a couple months ago.

I bought something from a legitimate web site, however that site's web page had been hacked and their paypal payment web script replaced with one that redirected my payment to someone else. Since I didn't know the registered email of the good web site, it wasn't immediately apparent to me.

I spoke to the 'seller' a couple days later and he admitted to having had some web page problems that his programmer had to fix.

I reported it to paypal as 'merchandise not received'. They replied that they were cancelling the 'bogus' email user account. About 2 weeks later I got a refund.

Guest tx2sturgis

Paypal, eBay, Facebook, Mastercard....all easily fixable.

But if those bastards ever hack my VentureRider account, I'm gonna hunt the peckerwoods down and feed them piece by piece into a tree shredder!

Grrr....

Paypal, eBay, Facebook, Mastercard....all easily fixable.

But if those bastards ever hack my VentureRider account, I'm gonna hunt the peckerwoods down and feed them piece by piece into a tree shredder!

Grrr....

I'll help if I can use your shreder too :cool10:

I don't know if it would help on a reaccuring charge type of set up, maybe during the set up of the payments, but I've taken one extra step to protect myself on the PayPal accounts.

They offer an electronic security key that rolls out an six digit code for every transaction, like a digital garage door opener. The number displayed on the key screen must be entered for every transaction during a purchase or payment. You only have 30 seconds to enter it or request another code.

I've had this for several years and never a problem. Maybe just lucky but I'll take all the protection I can get these days.

Worth checking into.

Mike

I have used the credit card sized key generator for about 2 years also.

I think there is a one time charge of $5 or so, but it is free after that.

Basically it adds a random 6 digit code to your password.

Not sure about the 30 second limitation though, I know you can't use the same code twice.

Gary

I had a problem with my e-mail getting hacked, and have finally narrowed it down to some dude that replied to a couple of ads I had posted on Craigslist. The first one happened a couple of months ago, and then again with a different ad this past week, both times after I replied to his request for more info about the ads. I reported it to Craigslist, but haven't gotten anything but an acknowledgement so far. About 6 months ago my bank card got hacked, but just for what appeared to be a tank of gas and a magazine subscription in northern Fla., I hadn't been to Fla. for well over a year at that time. The bank found out it happened at a convenience store where I bought gas for the bike from time to time, and they apparently had a history of this. I got my $$'s back, but just found the purchases to be kinda amusing.

Edited by Wrench

This is the reason I keep a ZERO balance in a separate account at my bank.

Then when I do a Paypal. I transfer the money to it. right after

I pay for something. ( the exact $$ amount) been working great this way for 4 years now.

I pay for something. ( the exact $$ amount) been working great this way for 4 years now.

:sign yeah that:

That's the same thing I do. Even if they hack the account they ain't gettin nuttin'

Cant believe the Ba*** of this hacker. PayPal blocked his name (Dave Whitehurst) and up popped another recurring transaction under the name Nuebux. Same email addy as dave with a phone listing from the 250 area code. At least they aint getting anywhere fast as PayPal is blocking any unauthorized transaction till its investigation is complete. Had the bank cancel my credit card linked to the PayPal acct. So far 100 was paid but PayPal will reimburse me in a few days.

Doesn't the bank charge you a service charge for the "empty" account ? I have to keep a minimum $1000 in my account to get "free" checking

I also keep a separate account for PP. I can make the transfers online as needed to cover purchases.

My bank requires me to keep at least one dollar in the account or they consider it closed. I sure hope I never get to the point that I can not afford to keep a dollar tied up. I get free checking anyhow just cuz I is old.