IGNORED

had to plug it, any thoughts

kyle

well I finally after 25 yrs of riding I finally got a nail in my back tire. I went ahead and put in a plug and I'm thinking it should get me to the end of the year. I plan on new tires next spring so the 1,000 miles or so left in this season seems like no big deal.

I have plugged car tires with good results so hoping this should be the same. what sez all you wise people.

Depending on the damage, a plug can work wonders. I ran a plugged rear tire for some 2500 miles before replacing, HOWEVER, I checked the air pressure religeously to be confident. The tire had no air loss. YMMV.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88 Venture

Not worth the damage or injury a flat or blown tire could cause. Patch it from the inside or replace early. If you had a parachute and were getting ready too do a jump would you trust duct tape or a proper repair. It's not just about playing the odds, but playing the best odds. . .

I have used plugs in the past, and always glad to have them with me in the saddlebags. BUT... like eusa1 says to get you home, or a safe harbor on the road where it can be broken down, inspected and patched properly.

I like to know what the damage is on the inside. That is what determines in my mind rather or not I'll replace the tire sooner than planned on.

Mike

I plan on new tires next spring so the 1,000 miles or so left in this season seems like no big deal.

if you've only got 1000 miles left on the tire, go ahead and bite the bullet and replace it now. i can tell you from experience regular plugs aren't the answer ( emergency use only ),as someone else stated you should use an inside patch / plug as the only means to assure yourself that you've done the best you can short of replacing the tire. a quick trip to the ER with a couple broken bones and a bump on the head will cost you $10K....a new tire is much cheaper.

Edited by naturbar

I ran a plugged rear for two years city driving with no problems. I picked up a drywall anchor in an almost new tire so there was lots of material for the plug to grip. That said, road rash at 35 mph over what you get at interstate speeds needs too be considered. What speeds do you typically ride at?

-JK

Too Plug or not too plug, is too general of a term. Plugs are different as day and night. And to be quite honest the only plug I would trust is this one

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/Catalog/ItemList.aspx?SalesSubGroup=MR030&family=MR&salesGroup=MR03

I have been using these for over twenty years in fleet applications and would not trust anything else.

If a complete inside/out repair is required this is the way to go

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/Catalog/ItemList.aspx?SalesSubGroup=MR050&family=MR&salesGroup=MR05

Edited by saddlebum

well, i rode it the last few days and it looks like its doing good, it was a very small hole and did the glue with sticky rope repair. My dilema is I'm getting a valve adjust next week $300+ , add 2 days hotel while bike gets worked on $175+ and fun money in between, I just don't have the $$$$ for a new tire right now. I don't plan on going much over 65mph between now and winter so there it is. let the piling on commence...lol I will take tire donations...cricket cricket....

I will plug one to get home, but no farther!

Ever had a flat tire on a motorcycle? It will only take once.

Not worth the damage or injury a flat or blown tire could cause.

if you've only got 1000 miles left on the tire, go ahead and bite the bullet and replace it now. i can tell you from experience regular plugs aren't the answer ( emergency use only ),as someone else stated you should use an inside patch / plug as the only means to assure yourself that you've done the best you can short of replacing the tire.

Ditto plugs and patches IMHO are for emergency only to get home or safe harbor just remember the older we get the longer it takes to heal

:sign yeah that: Speaking from experience, you dont want to find out what can happen if a tire lets loose. I did at highway speeds and many will tell you it's a miracle that my wife and I survived....:2cents:

A quality plug patch from the inside is a reliable repair. Of course this requires removing the tire from the rim (and obviously the wheel from the bike). Unless you are taking the wheel off yourself, the cost effectiveness of this repair comes into question, since you are paying the labor to R and R the rear wheel, plus parts and labor to properly plug patch the tire, Rand R and rebalance, etc. In essence the difference in cost between this and replacing the tire (depending on brand) is probably $100 or so or less. This only makes sense to do on a new or nearly new tire IMO.

I understand the money situation as well. Sometime you have to do what you have to do. With respect to the push in plug you have, if you need to ride the bike-Check air pressure and the condition,location of the plug every day before you ride. Be very sensitive to handling changes an indication you are loosing air.

.... In essence the difference in cost between this and replacing the tire (depending on brand) is probably $100 or so or less. This only makes sense to do on a new or nearly new tire IMO.

This is a good point. If the tire has to be taken off to be patched... is it worth risking your life for a few dollars more to replace it? In a car you have 3 other tires so if 25% of your tires goes down (1 out of 4) you have a greater safety factor than on a bike (50% - 1 out of 2). Yes, I've driven cars with a plugged tire and never had an issue.

Plugs should be considered temporary to get you home or to the nearest shop to replace the tire. From recent posts, plugs haven't been working too well. Is it the type of plugs or just plugs in general? Do you want to take the chance?

Not worth the damage or injury a flat or blown tire could cause. Patch it from the inside or replace early. If you had a parachute and were getting ready too do a jump would you trust duct tape or a proper repair. It's not just about playing the odds, but playing the best odds. . .

I agree...internal patch and keep checking pressure before, during and after EVERY ride!!

well hot damn the verdict is in, I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow for a prof. patch job. I'm taking the tire in so he will only charge me$25 for a plug and patch. any one ever try the ride-on tire sealant??

thinking of using that next spring when I get new tires. p.s thanx for caring