It all started innocently enough. The aluminum crank case covers look bad, so I removed them to polish them up, while I was at sea. I removed the water pump cover, clutch cover, plus the small rear one on the left side (transmission?). I couldn’t get the large front one (stator?) off at the time. While I was waiting for the gaskets to come in, I worked on the large cover. When I finally removed it a small gear fell out. I was able to put it back, hope it isn’t supposed to be in a certain way. I went to remove the screws holding the wires to the cover but no luck. I have the right size screwdriver, but they won’t move. I stopped before I stripped the heads, but I think it won’t take much force before they are striped. What is the easiest way to get these screws out? I can’t get the cover to my workbench, as it is still attached to the bike by the wires. It is free to move around as I try to break the screws free. I tried hammering on the screwdriver while twisting, but was getting nowhere. Help I don't know where to go from here.

Bill

:think:

You didnt state what year bike, but the wires from the stator cover go to your regulator. There should be a connector near or on the regulator that you can disconnect and that should let you remove the cover from the bike. Just trace the wires and you should be locate the connector fairly easily.

Good Luck,

Rick F.

The screws are not Phillips, they are JIS which is slightly different. You will only strip the heads trying to break them loose with a Phillips.

The Craftsman hand impact driver has JIS bits (you can turn Phillips screws with a JIS driver). After breaking loose with the impact driver you can finish removal with a #3 Phillips.

The screws are secured with thread lock compound and a bit of heat will help break it loose. You should use loctite when reinstalling the screws.

But if your goal is to polish simply unplug the 2 wire sets from the harness and leave the guts in the cover.

Well, I won. I found my impact driver, in a box of tools from my dad. I am sooo organized!

I removed the wire sets and cleaned the case with brake cleaner. I'm going to let it dry overnight and tomorrow start work on polishing the last piece. (for now)

Thanks again for all the advice.

Bill