IGNORED

fuel pump???

starts under full choke runs 5 secs. shuts off. did this last week, then tried in morning ran ok. changed plugs after not starting and running after tryying all day. plugs were dry expecting them to be all wet.

fuel pump, relay, where would you'll start looking.

Start by opening the drain on one carb to see if you get a lot of fuel (a full float bowl will drain for 5-10 seconds with a steady stream, depending on how far you open the screw).

After closing the drain, turn on your key and listen for the fuel pump to click rapidly for about 5 seconds. If no clicking, you have a bad pump. If it clicks rapidly for five seconds and does not slow down, cycle the key off and back on - if it clicks for another five seconds without slowing down, you have a fuel supply problem - most likely the fuel filter, but could be intake screen in the tank, too.

If your filter is clean, you can just bypass the pump and ride the bike on gravity feed until you replace it. This is coved in detail in many other threads.

Goose

• Like 1

Start by opening the drain on one carb to see if you get a lot of fuel (a full float bowl will drain for 5-10 seconds with a steady stream, depending on how far you open the screw).

After closing the drain, turn on your key and listen for the fuel pump to click rapidly for about 5 seconds.....

Instead of draining carbs, what I've done is shut off the fuel petcock and run the engine for a couple minutes. Uses a bit of gas but only what is in the carbs. Running it for 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

Then do as suggested... turn the key to ignition and listen for the clicking of the fuel pump.

Instead of draining carbs, what I've done is shut off the fuel petcock and run the engine for a couple minutes. Uses a bit of gas but only what is in the carbs. Running it for 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

Then do as suggested... turn the key to ignition and listen for the clicking of the fuel pump.

He said his bike won't start.

Goose

He said his bike won't start.

Goose

MINOR detail !! :whistling:

If issue started when the plugs were changed... how are the gaps ? Set up correctly? Possible boots not seated on the plugs? Mind you... if it wasn't sparking they would be all wet.

Never mind.... I'll go back to my corner.:confused24:

thanks Eck for you note, I'll try again in the morning see what happens. For the amount of time I tried starting it with no success I should of had wet plugs when I pulled them, right.

Same thing happened last week, but in the morning it started. thats why I had the plugs handy this time. May even try bypassing the pump like someone suggested. Will let you'll know how I make out.

Went out, removed side cover so I could hear pump, turned on, pump worked, pressed start and it worked fine. Same thing 2 weeks ago, each time problems using spare orginal key, but using my copy key I always use, it works.

Each time it happened, the key I used made a difference. go figure, huh.

Just so you do not waste any time playing with one key or the other when trying to find the cause - the key you use has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

You could possibly have a bad ignition switch (but I doubt it); however, the lock part and the switch part are completely separate. It is totally and completely impossible for any key to affect the operation of the switch.

Goose

Had the exact same problem. Found out that the fuel pump was going. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. Check the electrical connections to the pump. Probably would not make any difference. Don't drive too far from home until you have it figured out. Luckily we were at a friends house 120 miles away when it finally quit for good. Borrowed his truck to get my truck at home. Replaced the pump with a a used one that I got on ebay and it has been working fine for the last 6k miles. I also bought a backup from ebay and carry it on the bike at all times just in case. Both cost less than a new one. They very rarely go so a used one is typically a safe bet.

Hint:...It's not your key.

If pump is bad, fill the tank, and should run with gravity feed, well maby.

Open one carb drain, turn key on, see if pump is pumping fuel thru the carb bowl and out the bowl drain line.

Any chance the fuel filter is plugged ??

Also consider the Screen on the fuel petcock might be plugged, not likly though, but a possibility.

How about a Kinked fuel line somplace from the petcock to the filter, to the pump etc etc

Have you checkd the Fuel Tank Vent Hole ??

• 3 weeks later...

Put new pump in today, works fine. Got 2 weeks after last troubles, farthest I went was 125 miles, worked ok, went to go for ride labor day weekend , no go. Got a new one for $203, which I didn't think was that bad compared to some prices I saw on the net.