IGNORED

Pretty happy with my Metzler ME 880's

Got about 1500 miles on them. Wearing pretty good. I wore out a set of E3's in 7000 miles and hoping I can gets some more out of these. Been reading the reports on chunking, most seems to be about 4 years old. I will keep an eye on them and keep them at max wall pressure.

Other than that I think they are much quieter than the E3's and turning at speed is much easier too.

Greg,

I have been running ME 880s since 2000 on 3 RSVs with around 200k, and unlike some of the others here....I have never had an issue. Just keep around 46lbs in the rear and 36lbs in the front. And they are a great handling tire as well.

Hope this helped,

Rick

Got about 1500 miles on them. Wearing pretty good. I wore out a set of E3's in 7000 miles and hoping I can gets some more out of these. Been reading the reports on chunking, most seems to be about 4 years old. I will keep an eye on them and keep them at max wall pressure.

Other than that I think they are much quieter than the E3's and turning at speed is much easier too.

On my third set of Metzlers. Marathon front and rear. 2 sets on my GS 1100E and now 1 on my 86 VR. 7,00 miles on the current GS set with much life left in them. Although the rear is showing more wear than the front? :confused24: 4,000 miles on the VR set and they look like new. They handle great. And now that I have upped the pressure to 42 front and 46 rear my steel deck bridge wobble is gone. Can't comment on wet weather traction. It just hasn't rained here often enough to ride in it. Never had any wet weather trouble on the (much lighter) GS.

Over the last 5 years I've bought and sold about 6 or 7 bikes? (I lost count, but if I ask my wife she can probably tell me) I had one set of tires poop the bed at 3,000 miles due to weather checking. Can't remember the brand,bought them off Flea Bay. I think some issues have more to do with where you buy them. Getting old stock maybe.

As in anything, what works for you and makes you happy is what you should use.. And no matter what brand you ride, keep an eye on them for signs of deterioration of any kind.

Good choice ,at our shop we sell more metzelers than all the other brands. They are high performance tires ,and require higher PSI , so keep the pressure up. I run my RSV two up heavy, 90% of the time , front 40 PSI , rear 50 PSI. We and our customers love em'.

Ditto, ditto and ditto. Love mine, and now run the proper PSI in them which has made a tremendous difference in how the bike handles. No chuncking, side wall cracking, or other issues previously reported here. I will say that I am still a big Dunlop fan for my other lighter weight bikes, and also the H-D softail. But the 880 is the best tire for me for the RSV.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you wear out a set of E3's in 7000 miles? I put a set on my 07 RSV at 14,000 miles. This is my second season on them and I have 33,000 on the bike now and I can finish out this year on them no problem.

I've been running Metzler tires since the 1980's and I have never had a issue ( maybe just luck ). In the last 10 years I have put over 300,000 miles on the ME 880's with no issues on one first gen and now on the second, second gen along with the vmax. I average around 12,000 to 14,000 miles a set. The E3's lasted around 5,000 miles same riding style same roads etc.etc. and one of the worst tires I have tried in a long time ( only tried because of all the greatness I had read ). This is my experience. :stirthepot:

I'm sort of conflicted...I had a Metz 880 rear tire chunk out at 6K on my 1st gen..However, the front tire lasted for 31,000 miles..That's the most I ever got out of any tire..I swore off Metzeler 880 but I'm rethinking it now..

I just installed a Metz 880 on the front of my RSV. I previously had an Avon but it only lasted for 10,500 miles..We'll see how this Metz works out.

I dont think the Dunlop404 will last you very long, they arent as well made a tire as the Dunlop e3. the Dunlop E3 had more plies and deeper tread, with the compound rubber to give longer life. As i understand it the E3 puts a harder rubber compound running up the middle of your tire with softer rubber on the side so you get the grip when you lean over.

Ive read that most people dont get very good mileage from the 404 tires on a bike as heavy as the RSV or RSTD, but the E3 seem to do much better.

just my 2 cents,

Brian

Just replaced my Metzler M880 front tire at 21000 miles. Started to show uneven wear and a shimmy in the front at low speed. Have only ran the OEM Bridgestones before that and they lasted near 27000 miles each time. Trying a Dunlop D404 this time. I guess we'll see how it lasts.

You are going to find that with the 404's the handling is going to disappear. Those are the worst tire you can put on a bike.

I think it all depends on where you live the roads you ride and your riding style as for the mileage goes on tires what ever brand they are. I mainly ride curvy two lane back roads and usually rum them at a good clip, but that is where I live. I am 5 minutes from hwy 116 about a hour from hwy 129 ( in TN ) a couple hours from GA hwy 60 and 75 ( not interstate 75 ) along with NC hwy 276 215 107. That's not including the Blue Ridge Parkway and several other roads that we stay on in this area. Throw in a spirited riding style and you get tire wear. I go through a set of brake pads a year front and rear, usually average around 30,000 miles a year on just the venture not counting the vmax and a couple other bikes that we also have.

I tried a shinko on the rear of the vmax lasted around 2,000 miles but it was a $60 tire new compared to the $160 metzler that last around 14,000. My :2cents: