IGNORED

stuck in mt. no running lights. help!

jimmyenglish

Check the start button on the handlebar. the start button also cuts out the headlight when depressed. They tend to get dirty inside and some times stick part way. When this happens they fail to reconnect the headlight contact. I had this happen to me also, discovered it after changing the bulb. It comes apart and goes back together easy but watch for small parts and springs (they like to fly ). simply take it apart clean it up and put back together. takes about 30-40 minutes

PS before pulling it apart you can try pulling on the start button to make sure it has come all the way back out. If the headlights come on when you pull on the button then just make your way to a better location to do the clean mentioned above. If you don't want to pull it apart for fear of loosing a small part try blowing compressed air around the start button and any opennings you see to attempt to just blow it clear for now.

Edited by saddlebum

If you haven't done the fuse box upgrade.....

Check the power on both sides of the fuse.... not on the fuse itself but at the wire. I lost my headlight in Cody last year at the rally, turn out to be the holder itself. When I went to remove the fuse, part of the holder just fell out.

Dave

Check the start button on the handlebar. the start button also cuts out the headlight when depressed. They tend to get dirty inside and some times stick part way. When this happens they fail to reconnect the headlight contact. I had this happen to me also, discovered it after changing the bulb. It comes apart and goes back together easy but watch for small parts and springs (they like to fly ). simply take it apart clean it up and put back together. takes about 30-40 minutes

PS before pulling it apart you can try pulling on the start button to make sure it has come all the way back out. If the headlights come on when you pull on the button then just make your way to a better location to do the clean mentioned above. If you don't want to pull it apart for fear of loosing a small part try blowing compressed air around the start button and any opennings you see to attempt to just blow it clear for now.

Don't pull the switch apart in the dark if ya don't have to....:doh:

Just to get by,get some contact cleaner and spray it around the switch....

Just to clarify.

Is this the headlight that is not working or the front and rear running lights that are not working?

If it is the headlight then it could be the the start switch, if it is the running lights then don't mess with the start switch.

If you determine that the fuse holder is bad, get an inline fuse holder from a Radio Shack or any auto parts store to make a safe temporary repair till you get home and then change out the whole fuse panel.

Edited by Flyinfool

I HIGHLY recommend you check this I just had the exact same problem and fixed it by doing exactly what Saddlebum suggested. I confirmed this was the problem by wiggling the starter button while engine was running and the light would come and go.

I called him on the phone via the number he provided in the other post and As it turned out, the headlight was not the issue. It was taillights that cut out. I pulled up some schematics and tried to help as much as possible over the phone. I believe he managed to run a bypass wire to his taillights to get himself mobile.

A note of thanks to those members that over the years went to the trouble of converting schematics and manuals into PDF files and posting them. As a result I managed to compile quite a folder and as a result this file has come in handy on more than one occasion.

Edited by saddlebum

Thanks everybody for the input and especially thanks to Saddlebum! Man was I freaking out! Starter switch was fine (dealt with that years ago), power to fuse (both sides fine). Looks like the computer thing croaked. Wired straight to fuse holder. Running lights have never been so bright. In fact, I'm going to leave the fix.

Scarier thing was the left bolt that holds the frame together was holding on by about 3 threads and had somehow backed out from the safety. Yikes! That scared me way more than the lights. Divine intervention?

THanks again everybody! What a great group.