IGNORED

99 RSV runs fine til 3rd gear then motor lays down

Hope someone can help with this issue. Two weeks ago my speedometer and all other digital gages quit too. Took apart and checked for power. I noticed that if I disconnected the r/g continuous 12 volt power source wire and then turned on ignition key, all gages would work. And if I reconnected the r/g wire all was fine. But as soon as I turn off key and turn on again with r/g wire connected my gages will not work. Disconnect and turn on key all is fine. So I thought I would connect a toggle switch on the 12v r/g wire and test out on the road. Ok now hear is where the big problem is. I decided to go to gas station to make sure gas gage would work. Started down the road and ran thru first and second gears no problem. Started ramping up in third and when I got to approx. 45 mph the motor just fell on its face. It acted like u just cut off the power. Forth and fifth forget it it will not hardly run at all. Anything over 45 from third gear on will not run. The bike will run fine up to as fast as 65mph in second and not flinch. Shift to third and it will lay down til u get back down to about 40mph and u can cruise there and slower all day long. BTY. Before I started messing with the Speedometer the bike ran like a scalded dog,

:fingers-crossed-emo

I was hoping that somebody else would jump in here on this one because I honestly don't know what they heck could be causing that and it is the first I've ever heard of it. Almost sounds like the rev limiter is malfunctioning and shutting you down but I've NEVER heard of that happening before.

I also haven't heard of any TCI units going bad on the second gen bikes. If nobody else has any suggestions though, I have a spare TCI that I could send you for you to test it.

Just a thought,

Fuel issue? pump or something? When you get into the higher gears you are starting to demand more fuel volume for the load you are putting on the engine. (i know sounds funny cause 2nd gear high RPM no problem)

I think the gauges and power loss just happened to be at the same time I dont think they are linked to each other.

Unless there is a wire or voltage issue preventing the fuel pump from working in those gears.

:detective:

I don't have a lot of experience in 2nd gens, but....

I looked through the electrical diagram and the maintenance manual. As you mentioned, the R/G wire goes straight to a source of power. It only goes to the speedometer and the radio. Does your radio work?? Any chance yoiu blew the fuse for the R/G wire?

Are there any self-diagnostic lights on?? In the service manual at the end of chapter 8, it tells you all about the self diagnostic system. Does your speedometer work? What happens when you have the power ON the R/G wire when you start the bike?? In case something in the speedometer got out of step when you disconnected the R/G wire, you might try disconnecting the battery for a bit and then starting from scratch with the R/G wire connected normally.

Frank D.

I know its weird. R/G goes to Backup/odometer fuse slot and yes it is fine. Thought about fuel pump, but it runs so good in lower gears and symptoms are so consistent. Not going to rule out completely yet. Someone mentioned the TCI. Not familiar with that term. Mind explaining that a bit?

Basically the TCI is the ignition module. It controls the entire ignition system. Coils, rev limiter, timing advance, etc. They are a common problem on the earlier Ventures that are getting older but I've not heard of any issues with them on the RSV. I have a spare because I upgraded mine to a Dyna 3000 aftermarket unit so that I could tweak some of the settings. I really don't want to sell it but would be happy to send it to if it is something you want to eliminate as the problem. It's not too difficult to swap out. You have to remove the battery and the battery box to get to it.

TCI=Transistor Controlled Ignitor or your ignition module.

I suspect the problem is more ignition that fuel because it does the same exact thing every time. And how does it know when your in 3rd gear and above. The only switches in the transmission are for neutral and 5th gear.

In your first post you mentioned that before you started messing with the speedometer, bike ran like a scalded dog. Does this mean the bike ran fine after the speedometer and guages quit working but before you started trouble shooting the problem?

Have you checked all your battery and ground connections to be sure they are tight? Not just at the battery but a the solenoid, frame, etc. Checked all the multi pin connector plugs in the fairing and on the bike?

Battery is confirmed good and charging system is working properly? Checked the connector at the Regulator Rectifier for melting? Bad batteries , connections, charging can cause wierd symptoms.

How many miles on this bike? How long have you owned it? Any after market or accessory lighting and where how is that tied in?

Bike is back together and running like new. It was the speedometer. I gave up and took it to a Yamaha dealer in Seymour, In. I talked to service mech, and he said he had one other issue like this and it took him two days to trouble shoot. he finally called Yamaha and they told him to replace the speedometer and that fixed it. I really didn't want to pay for a new speedometer and labor cause it was $900. I found a used one on Ebay and installed it today and yes I am back on the road. Only thing I can figure as to why the bike ran ok prior to me disconnecting things is the signal that the ECU or ignitor box was looking for was still being sent til I started disconnecting things. Anyway my hotrod is running great again and I am happy. Thanks to all for all your ideas.:322: