IGNORED

New system?

Yammer Dan

I could build you a new computer Dan, easy as pie for me. Might even save you a few $$, but I'd prefer you pick it up instead of me trying to ship it. The other option is getting a new hard drive and loading your restore cds on it then installing it in your computer.

Dan,

Here is my recommendation:

CategoryPartURLPrice CPUIntel 3.4GHz Core i7-2600K

www.intel.com$317 MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

www.gigabyte.com$350

GPU3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked

www.evga.com$1,557 ($519 each)

CaseCooler Master Cosmos II Prototype

www.coolermaster-usa.com$350

RAMCorsair 16GB Vengeance

www.corsair.com

$180 PSUSilverstone Strider ST1500

www.silverstonetek.com

$380

CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100

www.corsair.com

$120

SSD2x 240GB OCZ Vertex 3

www.ocztechnology.com

$1080 ($540 each)

HDD 3x 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT

www.seagate.com

$600 ($200 each)

ODDPlextor B940SA

www.plextor.com$169 SpeakersCorsair SP2500

www.corsair.com$250 MouseCyborg R.A.T. 9

www.cyborggaming.com

$130

Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

www.razerzone.com

$80

Monitor3x NEC PA301W

www.necdisplay.com$6900 ($2300 each)

OSMicrosoft Windows 7 Professional

www.microsoft.com

$125 Total Cost $12,588

Systems eight years old with severe Trojan. Thinking of new one. Dell or where? Had pretty good luck with Dell. I do not know enough about the things to fix this one Black screen does not give you much to work with.

How have you arrived at conclusion it is a trojan, if you have not gotten any video yet?

Just trying to understand process here..

For about $1500, I can send you specs on a high powered computer that GAwildcat helped me with about six months ago. It will probably be able to keep up with you. Quad core, 16 gig ram. Nice mid range graphics card.

I think it mostly came from tigerdirect.

Gary

How have you arrived at conclusion it is a trojan, if you have not gotten any video yet?

Just trying to understand process here..

For about $1500, I can send you specs on a high powered computer that GAwildcat helped me with about six months ago. It will probably be able to keep up with you. Quad core, 16 gig ram. Nice mid range graphics card.

I think it mostly came from tigerdirect.

Gary

Gary: Dan doesn't need that high tech of a system lol, you had special needs that required a specialized build. I could build Dan a much cheaper system that would meet his needs easily. Looking now at builds to see what I could do.

I could put a smaller harddrive in the system for a bit cheaper, but the most you may save is $20. I didn't add a monitor, keyboard and mouse, unless Dan has a flat panel monitor, he would need one of those too. Also, everything on this list can be found at newegg.

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO AM3 AMD 880G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Model #:M4A88T-V EVO

Item #:N82E16813131827

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$89.99

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Model #:ADX640WFGMBOX

Item #:N82E16819103871

Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

In Stock

$99.99

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Model #:F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Item #:N82E16820231422

Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$39.99 $39.99

LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WBK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply

Model #:CS51WBK

Item #:N82E16811148030

In Stock

$49.99 -$10.00 Instant $39.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Model #:WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN

Item #:N82E16822136776

In Stock

Note (Add)

$109.99 -$10.00 Instant $99.99

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Model #:DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Item #:N82E16827135204

In Stock

Note (Add)

$19.99 $19.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Model #:GFC-02050

Item #:N82E16832116986

Return Policy:Software Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$99.99 $99.99

Subtotal: $489.93

About 1 year ago I purchased a Gateway at Staples, $300 on sale, 1T hard drive and 4 gig of ram (I think). Nothing special but it does what I want it to do and has had no issues in the time I have owned it. Depending on what you do with your computer this might be good enough.

Need to replace the hard drive in my 8 year old Dell, I put in a refurbished (probably a mistake) 320 gig Western Digital a year ago and it has died. Anyone have a recommendation on what to to install this time? :confused24:

About 1 year ago I purchased a Gateway at Staples, $300 on sale, 1T hard drive and 4 gig of ram (I think). Nothing special but it does what I want it to do and has had no issues in the time I have owned it. Depending on what you do with your computer this might be good enough.

Need to replace the hard drive in my 8 year old Dell, I put in a refurbished (probably a mistake) 320 gig Western Digital a year ago and it has died. Anyone have a recommendation on what to to install this time? :confused24:

Just go get a new hard drive, say on newegg or tigerdirect. Right now I prefer western digital drives over all others. I don't trust refurb hard drives ever. Basically if it's a refurb, it's been inspected and may or may not be ok. It's a roll of the dice. With a new drive you have a 3-5 yr warranty on replacement.

Guest tx2sturgis
Systems eight years old with severe Trojan. Thinking of new one. Dell or where? Had pretty good luck with Dell. I do not know enough about the things to fix this one Black screen does not give you much to work with.

Seriously, all you really need to do is boot from a Live CD such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu. $10 for the disc.

Of course if the hard drive or other component has actually failed, then that will have to be replaced first.

Gonna side with the "less is more" crowd on this one. As a recovering tech geek / former system tech-network manager-administrator-general whipping post there is no need to over buy or over build.

Hard to go wrong now with "off the rack" from Tiger Direct. Unless you are a hard core gamer, multi tasking multi monitor business fanatic, or CAD user excess RAM and processor power is a waste of money. Then add in the cooling and other extra expense and it makes no sense. UNLESS you REALLY use it.

I am still using my last build. 2.8 gig dual core processor (AMD BTW) and 4 gig of DDR 3 RAM, vid card with 1 gig DDR 3 and serial ATA drives. It must be 4 years old now at least. AN AMD 5600+ was one step removed from bleeding edge at the time. It still pulls a Windows Experience Index of 5.7. The minimum hold back factor are the years old SATA hard disks. Everything else runs in the low to mid 6 range. I chose well at the time. The main board I have is still sold and used. At least it was early this year when I needed to buy a new main board driver CD.

If the PC did what you wanted it to do well enough to make you satisfied, put a new hard drive in it. A stomping big one and the fastest you current bus will utilize. And get another few years from it and spend money where it is important. Beer and bikes.

Getting off the :soapbox:now.

Guest tx2sturgis
Gonna side with the "less is more" crowd on this one. As a recovering tech geek / former system tech-network manager-administrator-general whipping post there is no need to over buy or over build................ And get another few years from it and spend money where it is important. Beer and bikes.

Getting off the :soapbox:now.

I love the geeky-yet-common-sense answer here. This guy has it right.

Now...John...would you PLEASE post pics of that 80 GS1100??? I had a 1980 GS 750E and I never got any good pics of it the entire time I owned it. At the time, I was dating a beautiful blonde and I saw NO reason to spend money on film and prints of the bike when I could take pictures of her.

Well thats another story. Anyway, mine was the dark blue color.

How about sharing?

Hijack the thread if we must, but I'd sure like to see that bike! :happy34:

Gary: Dan doesn't need that high tech of a system lol, you had special needs that required a specialized build. I could build Dan a much cheaper system that would meet his needs easily. Looking now at builds to see what I could do.

Where are you gong to find a key punch machine and card reader?:confused24:

Seriously though, you can get trojans and crap on a brand new computer too. If the current one is good enough just clean it up.

Dan, you had it right, Take the nasty thing out back and put a hole in it. It's 8 YEARS OLD! !:doh:

I'm with Skid on this one. For what your doing on a computer you can easily get one for under $500. Heck you can get a good laptop for that...If your wife has one hooked up to a printer that's exactly the route I'd go. :confused24:

Gaurenteed his old one will not/does not have RAM capacity or exapndability and that will really slow it down when loading newer web pages

Edited by CaptainJoe

Dell laptops SUCK, HP or Toshiba is the way to go on laptops. I don't even consider desktops viable anymore with the prices of laptops being within $200 of same spec laptop. There are some situations with expansion cards where laptops don't do as well but not too many.

I worked in disk drive industry most of my career. Do yourselves a favor and buy from HP, Dell etc vs aftermarket. They certify the top performing heads and platters. Aftermarket gets whatever is left. You pay about $15 more but worth it.

Did I mention DELL laptops SUCK!!!!!!

I had rebooted it when I got about 30 or so little boxes popping up and I did a Microsoft security essentials scan and it found a severe trogan and I set to remove it and it said to reboot for the changes to take place so I rebooted and that's when the black screen with blinking cursor showed up.

Dan,Your hosed at this point. If you are not a computer hobbyist. The virus has sunk in deep at this point. The safest way to go is to buy a new hard drive and then reinstall the "operating System" that came with the computer. On a side note Skid has the right idea. If you just surf and send emails etc. You dont need to spend more that 200.00 for a new puter. Do you have a "Micro Center" near you? they have good deals. Also, you could "f-disk" your hard drive, and then "reformat" and then install the OS with disks you have on hand.If this stuff is greek to you, you will need a computer guru friend to do it. Sorry buddy I wish I was closer... http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?page=3&N=4294967292&Ns=P_RetailPrice&Nso=Ascending