I have a question about a problem I'm having with my headlights

Firstly, I have added a set of cheap walmart passing lights to my 89 Venture. I can be driving down the road with either my extra lights on or off and the little computer on my dash will blink on. I can turn off the passing lights and the trouble light will go off for a few minutes and then start blinking again. I installed a relay and tried to wire it the best that i can. The switch for the passing lights is the high/low switch for the dimmer switch on the left-side handlebar. BTW...my lights work fine.

My question is: Has anyone else have this type of problem with this type of setup and what did you to alleviate the blinking light on the dash? It's starting to drive me nuts.

Thank you gentlemen, I'd appreciate any help that you might think of.

Ken

The first diagram is for wiring direct for the driving lights through a relay. The second diagram is the one for using the high/low switch to activate them. (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

I've aways run mine direct so I've never run into that problem.

Mike

So, what relay do you connect through ? is it an existing relay or a new one ? Which one should you get ?

There are a series of icons in two rows on the left side of the computer screen. Normally these are blank. When key is turned on they cycle through each one as part of a start up check. When flashing light comes on, are any of these icons turned on? If so, which one(s)?

Gary

Sorry guys, been extremely busy the last few days

The light that blinks is the red light with the headlight icon lit. It will come on either with the high beams or low beam on. The high beam also activates the passing lights...ie I will have all three lights on when on high beam. The low beam will have just the headlight glowing. The red light and the icon will come on either low beam or high beam. I used the 4 blade relay that was mentioned. ( I can't remember the type or number ) I have been thinking that I have a weak diagnostic board but I don't know how to fix it. The blinking light is not on all the time and I can get rid of it for a short time by switching from either the high beam to low beam or vice versa. BTW, all lights work fine, it's just the icon and flashing red light.

Thanks for all the help, I hope this explains it. I hope I'm not too confusing.

Thanks again

From what you are describing, it sounds like the reserve lighting unit (RLU) has failed.

This device is a Yamaha design that lights the headlight bulb in case one has burnt out. If high beam goes it lights low beam. If low beam fails it lights high beam at a reduced voltage. There is a white indicator on the top of the dash panel that will light up only when you have a failure in the bulb circuit & the RLU is over riding.

Linked next is a lengthy write up on relays and possible uses. Towards end of the PDF file there are several ways to wire up a set of auxiliary lights as either passing or driving lamps.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68952

Below is text of tests I did on an RLU for functioning, did this several years ago.

This is what I have found with the operation of a working system on an 1988 wiring setup.

I have just verified this information on my bike. I have independent spade lug terminals hooking up to the headlight plug in the wiring harness,due to my projector headlights, so it is easy to simulate burnt out bulb conditions.

The reserve lighting unit is located on the right side of the headlight unit.

When the dimmer switch is set to LOW and low beam lamp is not functioning, the reserve unit illuminates the high beam lamp at a reduced voltage, this keeps from blinding oncoming traffic. The dash white indicator light "Headlamp" is illuminated. CMU Headlight icon is displayed.

When the dimmer switch is set to LOW and High beam lamp is not functioning. The dash white indicator light "Headlamp" is not illuminated. CMU Headlight icon is displayed.

When the dimmer switch is set to HIGH and High beam lamp is not functioning, the reserve unit illuminates the low beam lamp at a near normal voltage. The dash white indicator light "Headlamp" is illuminated. CMU Headlight icon is displayed. The "High beam" indicator is lit.

When the dimmer switch is set to HIGH and Low beam lamp is not functioning. The dash white indicator light "Headlamp" is not illuminated. CMU Headlight icon is displayed. The "High beam" indicator is lit.

When both lights are not functioning, only the CMU icon is displayed when Low beam is selected. When HIGH beam is selected, the dash white indicator light "Headlamp" is illuminated. CMU Headlight icon is displayed. And the "High beam" indicator is lit.

Assuming the wiring diagrams are correct, the high and low beam run through the CMU. There is an input circuit and an output circuit for both the high and low beams.

The reserve lighting unit is where the input wire from the headlight fuse goes first. I am guessing that the current on this wire is used to determine if the lamps are lit or not. Last paragraphs are based on this assumption.

If the Low beam is selected at the dimmer switch, a positive voltage is sent to the CMU, which then passes that voltage back to the headlamp. If headlamp is burning, reserve lighting unit does nothing. It senses normal current on feed wire, and it is getting voltage on its low side input.

If the High beam is selected at the dimmer switch, a positive voltage is sent to the CMU, which then passes that voltage back to the headlamp. If headlamp is NOT burning, reserve lighting unit senses very low current on feed wire (some current consumed in CMU), and it is getting voltage on its low side input. The reserve lighting unit then outputs reduced positive voltage on the High beam circuit, thus illuminating High beam and signaling CMU that low beam filimant is burnt out.

If the High beam is selected at the dimmer switch, a positive voltage is sent to the CMU, which then passes that voltage back to the headlamp. If headlamp is lit, reserve lighting unit lights the High beam indicator lamp. It senses normal current on feed wire, and it is getting voltage on its high side input. If it is not lit, the reserve lighting unit outputs positive voltage on the low beam circuit, thus illuminating low beam and signaling CMU that high beam filament is burnt out.

Gary