IGNORED

Barnett or PCW ?

BEER30

Going to have to do a clutch job here soon on the 2nd Gen . Trying to decide on the Barnett conversion with OEM fiber disk , or PCW HD Clutch Spring kit with extra friction disk ? Have nearly 30K on the '06 , 8K pulling trailer . I'm starting to fill a little slippage in the clutch when I do a hard acceleration . I can baby it and it's OK for a mild trip . But why take a chance on making the it worse . I heard PCW is cheaper in price to do , but I want better quality (not knowing which is better), so cost is not an issue . I have not done a clutch job in over 30 years , so kinda out of the loop , you might say !

TIA

BEER30

Beer30,

This is where I got my replacement clutch.

Curt99 installed it for me at a tech day we had at his place last year.

Dont quiet remember but I think it was around & $90.00 total

It was actually one for the V-max as he will tell you when if you

call. He (the guy over the shop) said it would hold up to many more

horses than we would ever get out of a stock Venture.

http://www.pcwracing.net/page10.htm

clutch thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=981

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4543&d=1166201575

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4542&d=1166201575

Gene, when I did my clutch, at 90+ thousand miles and after talking to Rick @ Buckeye, I decided to go to with the stock plates and add one extra spring. It makes for a little stiffer pull, about like a cable clutch, but holds tight.

Tight enough that it broke this loose easily:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/Extra%20Junk/todd005.jpg

So I think that fix will be good enough for the power a second gen puts out.

I too am going to do a clutch before riding season.

I can hardly pass a car on a two lane highway because of clutch slip.

I am going to use the spring kit in mine if it don't already have it. I will have to take the cover off and look at it before I order parts.

I have heard and I believe the stock disc's from Yamaha are as good as any.

I don't think I will add any more disc's then it calls for but that is a good thing to do if you only want to sort of repair the clutch.

86er,

What do you mean extra spring? Maybe you put the extra disc in ?

Jerry

If money were no object me and I planned on keeping the bike a damn long time, put the Barnett in it and add the extra disc.

It's not really an extra disc, you just get rid of a "half" disc. Trust me, get rid of it.

Barnett + 1 disc. The Barnett clutch is very popular with the Roadstars and Warriors because they hold the torque of the V-twin better than the wavy disc style spring that Yamaha uses on all of their street bikes.

I personally don't like the disc style springs. In a V-max, Im sure it's fine, but a V-max weighs about half of a venture. The Venture doesn't use the same RPM range as a Max. The Venture uses the torque of the motor to take off and I don't believe the disc spring is tough enough to last in a Venture. The disc style spring also weakens a lot faster than the coil design in the Barnett, which uses 6 coil springs, which can also be changed out with different weights of springs so you can find the ones that suit your needs the best.

..............................................................................................

I have heard and I believe the stock disc's from Yamaha are as good as any.

................................................................................................................................

86er,

What do you mean extra spring? Maybe you put the extra disc in ?

Jerry

I had heard that about the stock discs as well Jerry, so I went back with stock.

No, I didn't add an extra disc; I'm talking about the large, round, metal spring that puts pressure on the clutch plates. I just added a new on on top of the old one (kind of like they are "spooning") after replacing all the fiber discs and lightly sanding the metal plates. I also left the half disc and retaining spring in it. I believe that is supposed to keep the chattering noise down.

It works great.

Guys,

What 86er is talking about is stacking 2 stock diaphram pressure plates together on top of each other. This is a V-Max drag racing trick, so there is NEVER a chance of the clutch slipping. However with 2 springs to pull in with the clutch, it also requires twice the hand grip. It's not all that bad, but on some folks you might end up with Popeye lower arms. :)

Now either the PW Racing or the Barnett pressure plate will work just fine and allow the fiber plates to last much longer. But the PW kit will cost less and the Barnett pressure plate is certainly prettier. I put the PW kit in my 02 and ran it for 70k before I started noticing slight slippage. Before that I think I was changing fiber plates at about 25k.

If money is no object, choose the prettier one, but use OEM fiber plates and not the Barnett kevlar plates.

Rick

There are two other Options ....

convert to the Vmax Diaphragm Clutch Spring and put a small Washer underneath the Spring. This will help in Pressure Force and is not as doubled Force on the Clutch Lever.

Best Thing i know would be a LockUp Clutch. Very low Force on the Lever needed, standard Friction Plates(a lot cheaper than the Barnett) and no slipping Issues until the Friction Plates are worn out.

Might be a bit pricey in fist Place, but you get the best of all Options.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys,

What 86er is talking about is stacking 2 stock diaphram pressure plates together on top of each other. This is a V-Max drag racing trick, so there is NEVER a chance of the clutch slipping. However with 2 springs to pull in with the clutch, it also requires twice the hand grip. It's not all that bad, but on some folks you might end up with Popeye lower arms. :)

Now either the PW Racing or the Barnett pressure plate will work just fine and allow the fiber plates to last much longer. But the PW kit will cost less and the Barnett pressure plate is certainly prettier. I put the PW kit in my 02 and ran it for 70k before I started noticing slight slippage. Before that I think I was changing fiber plates at about 25k.

If money is no object, choose the prettier one, but use OEM fiber plates and not the Barnett kevlar plates.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the information. I really don't care for the diaphragm springs so I am definitely going to go with the pressure plate style. Don't care how pretty it is either, can't see it anyway.

I didn't realize they were doubling up the diaphragm clutches. But then I have never been around bike drags much. Interesting.

Thanks again, think I know what I'm going to buy now.

Jerry

Actually if you look at my tech on that you will see it. PCW uses a stock type spring. Not stock and not stacking it. The spring is thicker and stronger and will give you a tighter pull on the clutch lever. Actually if you look at the Star performance parts for the Roadstar you will see Yamaha does the same thing (Roadstar and Warrior as well as the Vmax is the same clutch) Barrnett uses a different plate set up. The only advantage to the Barrnet is that it looks purdy! Now worth it. Yamaha uses great discs so use the factory discs. Thats what al the racers are using. Install the extra disc to get a firmer grip. Yamaha uses the half disc inside so you get a softer engage but a light slip too. Bottom line is go with the PCW set up as the cost is better and works like its designed to. Look at my tech and you will see the parts and how it is done.

• 10 years later...
I have a Gen.2, clutch slips in 4 -5 under heavy acceleration. You say PCW is best kit, where is the best place to order it from. Thanks for your help.

I have the PCW set from Skydoc in both of my Ventures. Recently took a trip two up through the mountains without a slip. No problems on high interstate speeds either. Only thing I notice is clutch is a little stiffer to pull. Look under member vendors here to find Skydoc for kits.