IGNORED

Computer down

Yammer Dan

Guest tx2sturgis

Why not install a new, problem-free operating system?

Linux Mint or Ubuntu would be my choice.

Unless you NEED Windows for work or some very specific piece of software, Linux will do everything Windows will, and wont be susceptible to all the Windows malware on the net.

Linux is fast, stable, easy to operate, and free.

The 2 main questions for a Windows person are:

• How do I download it and install it?
  • and
  • Will it run the software I need?

You can either download it for free, then burn a live-cd, or order one for $10, either way it will let you test-drive Linux, and if you like it, it will step you thru the install process. You can either install it alongside your existing Windows partition, (dual-boot) or completely wipe the old OS and run the new one.

Software? Well there are over 36,000 mostly or completely free software packages available for Linux, and more show up all the time. If you run a very specific piece of Windows-only software, then it might not work for you. But most home-users just surfing the web, checking email, playing music, watching videos on youtube, will get along fine with Linux.

To be honest, IF you are a heavy-duty computer gamer, then Linux is not going to work well for you, or if you paid a lot of money for a software package specifically for Windows, it most likely wont run on Linux. Also, if you are a Netflix subscriber, it wont run on Linux. I solved that last one by buying a $60 Roku box and watching Netflix on a LCD TV.

The best thing about Linux is that it isnt susceptible to all the viruses, spyware, and trojans out there on the net. I used to boast the same thing about my Mac computers, and for the most part that is STILL true, but the problem is, windows users dont want to spend $1000-$1500 or more to get a virus-free computer. But I think most people can afford 'free' or '$10' to get one.

But if you want to keep messing with computers that fail...then please, carry on and ignore this article.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel still pouring out of 89 setting at camp. Got one stubborn carb float won't shut off. Anyway I can fix your computer if I had it over here. I bought the test gig to get data off of it . Done several of mine when the kids would trojan them up.I maintain eight here and 5 more at the office.

Just about ready for the hammer. I have pics in this hard drive that can not be replaced. Hate to loose them. What is up with carbs?

That is why they invented backups.....:whistling:

If it is really some form of malware that has infected your puter it should be saveable. If your problem is a hardware failure then it is toast. Either way it may be possible to save some or all of your pics.

If you want to tackle this yourself, and there is another working computer in the house, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ It is a computer geek site that is as friendly and with a knowledge base comparable to here. Someone will hold your hand thru the process.

But you will need another working computer and a thumb drive and maybe a cd burner.

Guest tx2sturgis

IF the drive is still functional, but the OS has crashed, then you really should think about my suggestion to load Linux on that drive.

If you do, then the Linux OS will be able to read the data off the drive, including pictures, without being affected by whatever nasty virus is messing up microsoft windows.

Of course if the drive or the motherboard has failed, then a simple OS install wont fix it.

Since Linux got thrown into this I am going t tell my experience. I replaced the hard drive in my 8 year old Dell about a year ago. I set the computer up as a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.0. First there were issues with Ubuntu working with my wireless card then getting the sound to work. Fortunately I had XP installed so I could defintely tell that there was an issue with Ubuntu and compatibility with my wireless card and my sound card. With help from the beginners forum on Ubuntu site was able to get the computer working

Things went fine until the replacement hard drive started having issues. When trying to login into Ubuntu it would just cycle right back to login. This never got remedied. Found no answer to it other than hard drive was failing. XP was able to tolerate it. CHKDSK alway found errors but was not able to fix them. From the Ubuntu site found that Linux really has no equivalnt to CHKDSK.

My opinions are these.

1) I actually liked Ubuntu, but it is NOT Windows, if you are used to Windows you may not like Ubuntu.

2) The hardware compatability was frustrating, there are people willing to help, you have to be willing to work at it. If you do not want to deal with the compatibility issues either make sure your harware is compatable with Linux or stick with Windows.

3) The hard drive has since died completely. running XP only put off the inevetible but I was able to save needed files from XP. Anything on Ubuntu was gone.

4) While Windows is hardly perfect I found that Linux has it's issues too. Installing Linux will not solve all your computer issues.

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis
Since Linux got thrown into this I am going t tell my experience.

My opinions are these.

1) I actually liked Ubuntu, but it is NOT Windows, if you are used to Windows you may not like Ubuntu.

2) The hardware compatability was frustrating, there are people willing to help, you have to be willing to work at it. If you do not want to deal with the compatibility issues either make sure your harware is compatable with Linux or stick with Windows.

3) The hard drive has since died completely. running XP only put off the inevetible but I was able to save needed files from XP. Anything on Ubuntu was gone.

4) While Windows is hardly perfect I found that Linux has it's issues too. Installing Linux will not solve all your computer issues.

Jeff

I prefer Linux Mint actually...not saying its better than Ubuntu, but the Mint folks have worked to make it compatible with a variety of desktop and laptop hardware. I have installed it on 6 totally different PC's and it has worked well on all of them. I have passed along a disc for others to install it and they have had good luck also.

Since there are more than 600 versions and flavors of Linux, it IS up to the user to find one that works with his choice of hardware...its not a flaw in Linux. It could be that the version or distribution you tried was not suitable for your hardware. It a bit like saying that you tried chocolate ice cream and since you didnt like it, that ALL ice cream tastes bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Linux Mint itself has more than a dozen editions...I am currently running 'lisa', which is version 12.

No... Linux wont 'solve' all your computer issues, but if set up correctly, it can work flawlessly.

Over 80% of all websites you visit on the web are hosted on a Linux machine...so you are probably using it even when you dont think you are. 90% of all supercomputers run Linux. They would not be running Linux if it wasnt a GOOD operating system.

And even if Dan decides its not a good 'fit' for him, it still should be able to pull the data off the infected windows partition...even without installing it, just use the Live CD and browse the folders on the hard drive. You simply boot the LiveCD in the dvd drive, and it will run almost as well as if it was installed. Then he can completely wipe the hard drive and re-install windows.

Just sayin...

:happy34:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

Edited by tx2sturgis

Perhaps I sounded a bit negative, with help from the Absolute beginner talk on the Ubuntu website I got Ubuntu to work and work well, at least until the hard drive started being goofy. I decide to explore using Linux because support for XP is ending in 2014 and moving to a free operating system was appealing. The reason I picked Ubuntu is that my brother uses it. I am not a computer expert by any means and I could have never made Ubuntu work without help. It took time and patience to get Ubuntu to work, there are people that do not want to deal with it. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Linux systems in general expect more out of the end user than Windows.

When I put a new hard drive in the computer I will probably set it up as a dual boot again. Are there reasons other than hardware compatability that you prefer Mint to Ubuntu? Should I have beem able to see the files stored on Ubuntu booting from the CD? The reason I ask is that I could not, I could see disk capacity and partitions but was not able to read the files after the hard drive started to fail.

Guest tx2sturgis
.....Are there reasons other than hardware compatability that you prefer Mint to Ubuntu? Should I have beem able to see the files stored on Ubuntu booting from the CD? The reason I ask is that I could not, I could see disk capacity and partitions but was not able to read the files after the hard drive started to fail.

I have tried Ubuntu only as a guest OS on my mac, and I guess its a matter of preference, but I just prefer the way Mint looks, sounds, and acts. It is built on Ubuntu but is customized to be more user friendly...that doesnt mean the next person will like it...but everyone I have showed it to likes it and it is VERY stable and VERY virus proof...not 100% I suppose, but good enuff for me.

You can fully customize Linux Mint, wallpapers, borders, all of it. You can even select the option that makes Mint LOOK and WORK alot like a windows computer....so windows users will feel right at home.

As far as seeing files on a dying hard drive...I have no idea what was going on there...could be that Linux was instructed (not on purpose) to install itself on the part of the drive that had lots of bad sectors....I really cant speak to what might have happened. I use drives with S.M.A.R.T. monitoring and let Linux take care of itself for the most part. I do check the drive health now and then, and I do backups also.

As far as reading the windows files on the Windows partition, you simply double click on the 'Computer' icon on the Mint desktop, and the partitions are there...if you click on the one that has the windows files and folders you can peruse them at will. You could copy files or folders, move things around....in fact, you could even damage the Windows installation if you chose to, accidentally or otherwise.

IF you get curious about Mint, just go to YouTube and watch some videos...there are plenty.

Just type in 'linux mint'...

or

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/D_6CtwSDGDc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/tRAcskPNof4[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis