I've always ran Metzler tires on my sport bikes. So now that I have a 85 Venture project I have to decide on a set of tires. As always budget is a concern, but are the Marathon 880's good. Its only a few bucks more than the Kenda Cruz @ Royal Distributing?? Or is there somewhere better to get tires in Ontario??

You'll find on this site multiple tire discussions. There are some that indicate that Mettzler ME880 are a tire to be wary of because of some tire separation issues.

From all I've read, all ME880 issues have been installed on 2 Gen bikes. Please correct me if I've misread this.

I'm on my third set of Mettzlers and still love how they ride and feel.

Dave

I have been using Avons since 1990.:) But now I have a budget issue:sick: and just picked up a set of Kenda cruz. I have only a friends advice on using these, (He has 35-40 years:backinmyday: with a one man shop on the east cost). I will wait and see how they preform. by the by, I'm mounting them on a spair set of rims to install at the end of the summer, so I'll have new rubber for the:smile5: winter riding.

My 89 had ME880s on it when I purchased it used. After a weekend heavily loaded, high temps, couple hundred miles on the freeway plus another couple hundred on 55mph asphalt the rear tread started to separate.

However I'm pretty confident the previous owner had neglected them and there may have been some unseen damage before I worked them hard.

I replaced them with a set of Kenda Kruz. I didn't record mileage but I'd guess they have over 5,000 and they still look new. This past weekend I went on a 400 mile trip loaded heavy plus a trailer. First 150 was in the rain. No problems, still quite happy with them.

I ran the ME880's on my 84 for 4 years, liked them a lot and never had a problem out of them. They are currently on my 08 2nd gen but when I get them up to around 5k on the odometer I'll probably put Venoms on there.

My 89 had ME880s on it when I purchased it used. After a weekend heavily loaded, high temps, couple hundred miles on the freeway plus another couple hundred on 55mph asphalt the rear tread started to separate.

However I'm pretty confident the previous owner had neglected them and there may have been some unseen damage before I worked them hard.

I replaced them with a set of Kenda Kruz. I didn't record mileage but I'd guess they have over 5,000 and they still look new. This past weekend I went on a 400 mile trip loaded heavy plus a trailer. First 150 was in the rain. No problems, still quite happy with them.

Thanks for sharing Carl!! Blew my thought right out of the water.

Dave

I just changed a rear Bridgestone Spitfire II at 11 000 miles, the front shows little sign of wearing out or cupping.

I had zero issues with the Bridgestone in just about every road condition you care to mention, so I fitted another.

Just an opinion.

Just before I bought the bike the po had replaced both tires. He put a Kenda Kruz on the back and a Bridgestone Battlax on the front (I have since discovered that the Battlax is a rear use tire only and a radial to boot). The Kenda lasted 6000for miles in this heat and separated in the tread. I honestly think my peg scraping and drag racing from lights didn't help. The Kenda did a great job in all weather and stuck well on launches. I've since replaced it with an Avon Venom. I have to admit this one sticks even better in corners and wet roads than the Kenda. I'll be switching the front tire to the Venom soon.

The Spitfire S11 was another option. Thought it would be a little light duty but have to go and get something soon. Think I will stay away from the Metzler for now. HUMMMM! What to do.

It's round and black. It sticks to the road, wears well and can carry the weight ... and it's cheap.

The only caveat is that I do not ride hard .... but I do ride fast, for long distances and often in very hot weather. So far, so good.

:)

avon venom front, dunlop e3 rear. im sure some others will agree. the e3 has about 10k on it and will still go the rest of the season , the venom has about 5k on it and hardly looks broke in.

Yep ... It's fair to say that any tires of the correct size and construction will be just fine.

All the commonly available stuff is rated for heavier loads, and far higher speeds than we ride these bikes.

Tires are rated for "worst case" ... which means for "H"- rated, 130 mph sustained at maximum load in decent ambient temps.

Doubt many of us can hurt them much.

I just ordered a pair of Michelin Commander II's from Jake Wilson. Previously the least expensive place I found tires was Motorcycle Superstore. I was pretty close to ordering up a pair of Shinko Tourmaster 230 for my 2nd Gen. changed my mind at last moment. the Shinkos would have been $170 from MSS and my Michelins were $258 from JW. I had a Shinko on my 900 Kawi previously and it seemed fine.

My opinion is that one should double check the tire's ratings before buying...and remember to consider your riding habits. I've recently learned that one the hard way!

According to their website, the 140/90-16 rear Kenda Kruz is rated for 908 lbf at 40 psig and the 120/90-18 front is rated for 761 lbf at 40 psig. Neither one had a published speed rating, but their weight ratings are better than those of the Dunlop D404s I've got on my 84 Std...at least for now!

M880's came with the 87' first year. I found them an excellent tire other than the more miles I put on them, the noisier they got to the point it wasn't soon enough for replacement.

That was done this spring with E3's based on what I've read on this site. No issues with them after 6500 miles. Holding and handle well in all conditions so far. Ive noticed a slight rear tire noise recently up to 30mph and that stops at highway speed.