IGNORED

Star/Yamaha falling further behind

midnightrider1300

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a news letter @ work yesterday from Yamaha showing details of upcoming year models and changes...lol need i say it was a short letter...NOTHING even listed on the Venture :( . Very disappointing to say the least...Maybe NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Your not a Cubs fan by chance. "Maybe next year" has been their motto forever.

I have to be honest. If Yamaha tries to push a new Venture based upon the Stratoliner and etc., I will not be a customer. I have sat on and rode that bike and though it is nice, it is not for me. If I end up having to choose between a V-Twin touring bike, a V-Twin Yamaha Venture would be probably 4th on my list. The top three would be between Harley, Kawasaki and Victory, not necessarily in that order. On a recent demo ride of the Voyager, I found it to be a much better fit for me than the Stratoliner.

The only way I would consider a new Venture would be one based upon a V-4 engine. Otherwise, there are a lot of good choices out there. I honestly think that would be a HUGE mistake on Yamaha's part. I hope they are smarter than that.

I probably should be more specific. I can't say that a Yamaha would not be in the running. If they built an entirely new bike around that V-Twin engine, then I would take another look before making a decision. What I'm saying though is if they just add a fairing, bags, trunk and etc. to the Stratoliner in it's current configuration, ergonomics, etc., I would not be a customer.

I think an upgraded V4 based on the current driveline would be a winner. Direct injection, variable cam timing, modern basics would give you more power and better MPG easily.

Go back to the suspension of the Royale, it was better than anything out there, and would be a big selling point.

I didn't really want a V=twin, so I went with GoldWing. The suspension on my 86 royale was far better than my 2010 Wing, but man that engine/frame etc make one great touring bike. I would love to love the Victory, but just too much vibration, my Royale and the Wing put the Victory to shame. The Electra Glide is really quite a nice touring bike. Vibration when moving is reasonable, but man when you stop, that is just silly.

I think the big bike touring market just isn't big enough for Yamaha to invest in anything major, and they think that big V-twins are the way to go. If that was true, then why do so many Wings sell? Maybe its because not everyone wants a V-twin or even one that LOOKs like a twin. That is the main reason I don't want the current Venture, if I am going to ride a make believe twin, I might as well have the real thing.

I am happy with my bike. 1st gear is where it needs to be, I use 5th over 65mph. I have plenty of power at the rear wheel, when I need it. Fuel mileage is not bad for a touring bike ( I get 42-45 mpg ) my friend with an Ultra-Classin is getting 38 mpg.

I have owned fuel injected bikes, this bike still uses carbs, I dont notice that big a difference. The venture has a cassette player ( with a cd changer and an ipod available ).

The bike has a FIVE (5 !!) year warranty (wow!!). It has proven itself as a solid reliable model bike. ( I hate the idea of spending 2 days riding, 1 day fixing. )

Thank you Yamaha for making a bike that is tough as nails, and standing behind that bike with a warranty unmatched in the motorcycle world!

However, stop marking up the price every year, for the same bike.

If you want to charge customers more, give us more. MORE power with a V-max fuel injected engine, MORE room with larger saddle bags, MORE options- stronger engine guard to better support highway pegs. MORE comfort in the seats.

I'm with Don.I have ridden a Roadliner a Stratoliner and a 1700 Roadstar and while they were all nice bikes they were not as comfortable as either my RSTD or RSVS.I have ridden the new Kawasaki and at 6'2" 250Lbs I felt crampted and my wife who is a smaller lady did not have as much room nor was she as comfortable as on the Yamahas.I think that an upgraded V4 in the same style would be a seller.ABS should be an option,fuel injection for emissions,increase displacement only because 1300 now seems puny.The current design could easily go to 1600 or even 1800.Redesign the bags to eliminate the projections inside that cut down on space,update the tooling on the primary drive to eleminate the howl that some have experienced and keep the 5 year warranty.Optional navigation, mp3/ipod/satillite radio interface,bluetooth,heated grips and seats and you would bring the bike into the 21st century.

On the "no new model" news, I think all of the Japanese OEM's are in the same boat. Nothing really new for 2013, no big dealer meetings, no major splash announcements. Everyone seems to be in "expense optimization" mode to reign in costs and maximize profits. New model intro's don't recoup the development, production and marketing expense for up to 3 years, and economic forecasts aren't exactly very promising heading into 2013-14. So this comes as no surprise.

All of this was confirmed this week in meetings I've had with both Kawi and Yamaha, and I'm sure I'll hear the same from Suzuki later today. But Suzuki may be the only one of the Japanese 4 with any momentum in sales, with their emphasis on 0% for 60 months retail financing that they've been offering all spring and summer. I am hearing that they may be holding a dealer meeting in November in Vegas to try to keep the sales momentum moving and make some organizational announcements. They have the other 3 on the run in the sport bike segment and don't want to let up on their market share gains.

The guys at Yami are either not in the loop on the Venture or aren't talking, but what I did hear is that there is little interest in scrapping the V-4 platform. Why lose your differentiation and become just another V-twin big bike producer? The V-4 VMAX is a reliable workhorse engine and can be tweaked and improved in many ways, so everyone's guess there (and mine as well) is that when it is upgraded, it will still be a V-4 bike.

Heading to Brea.....will post more as I hear it.

Some friends that went to Star Days in Reno this year told a story of the Yamaha people being taken to the parking lot to see all the Goldwings and there were many. They suggested Yamaha was losing out by not upgrading the Venture. All they said was maybe 2014. I've been hearing maybe next year for a long time, I couldn't wait.

Honestly, how many poeple here would actually go buy a new Venture if they came out with one. I bet not many. I know I will probably NEVER buy a bike new. Why take that big of loss? I bought my bike (07 RSV) in 2009. It had just over 9k miles on it. Came with the trunk light, trunk rack, bag rails, aux lights in front and rear. I bought it from the original owner and came with all the reciepts. He bought it new, added all the do dads, paid close to 21k for everything. I paid 11k for it. He took a 10k loss over two years. Why take that kind of hit? Not me. My next bike will probably be a Vaquero and it will be purchased used with low miles. I will let the other guy take the initial loss. So even if Yammi does come out with a new Venture in the near or more than likely very distant future, I would not buy a new one.

Well, I understand where you are coming from but actually a LOT of folks buy new bikes. If not, where you have found the used one? :)

I bought my '99 brand new in April or May of '99. I paid $14,445.00 for it out the door.

As for whether or not I would buy a new one, I don't know for sure. Money is a little tight and I don't know that I could justify it but if it has all the features that I would want in an updated model, I would sure give it some thought.

I figure that my bike buying days are coming close to an end. I MAY buy one more bike and will then expect it to last me until I am done riding. If I do that, I would kind of like for it to be a new one.

Guest tx2sturgis
Fuel mileage is not bad for a touring bike ( I get 42-45 mpg )

If you havent installed a speedohealer, then you can figure about 7-10% less fuel mileage. The odometer, like the speedometer, is optimistic in the stock configuration.

Your ACTUAL fuel mileage is proabably about 38-41 mpg. Still not bad tho.

:happy34:

Well, I understand where you are coming from but actually a LOT of folks buy new bikes. If not, where you have found the used one? :)

I bought my '99 brand new in April or May of '99. I paid $14,445.00 for it out the door.

As for whether or not I would buy a new one, I don't know for sure. Money is a little tight and I don't know that I could justify it but if it has all the features that I would want in an updated model, I would sure give it some thought.

I figure that my bike buying days are coming close to an end. I MAY buy one more bike and will then expect it to last me until I am done riding. If I do that, I would kind of like for it to be a new one.

I realize alot of poeple buy bikes new. But what I meant was I just wondering out of all of the posters here, how many would buy a new one.

As far as your riding days. My friend, you got a long way to go! My father in-law is I believe 72 and he rides his Harley to work every day. Yes, he still works, as a grinder hand in a tool shop. He tried the retirement thing. BORED!!!

IF there is a new Venture in the next few years, and IF they successfully upgrade to a powered up EFI V-4 with some other essential 21st century upgrades, I will be one of the first in line to get one. I have only bought a new bike once, but if the aforementioned IF's are accomplished, I'm in.

As much as I like new toys.... would I buy a new model Venture? Definitely NOT the first year. I'm happy with my '09 RSV and don't have an issue with styling, carbs, non-ABS.

I'm 53yrs old.... but a new bike before I retire would be likely. And yes... I would buy new.

Honestly, how many poeple here would actually go buy a new Venture if they came out with one. I bet not many. I know I will probably NEVER buy a bike new. Why take that big of loss? I bought my bike (07 RSV) in 2009. It had just over 9k miles on it. Came with the trunk light, trunk rack, bag rails, aux lights in front and rear. I bought it from the original owner and came with all the reciepts. He bought it new, added all the do dads, paid close to 21k for everything. I paid 11k for it. He took a 10k loss over two years. Why take that kind of hit? Not me. My next bike will probably be a Vaquero and it will be purchased used with low miles. I will let the other guy take the initial loss. So even if Yammi does come out with a new Venture in the near or more than likely very distant future, I would not buy a new one.

Rickard, Do you buy new cars and trucks?