I'm about to check the valves on my '05 Venture.Do I need to buy new valve cover gaskets or are they rubber reusable ones?I want to have everything I need before I tear into the bike because I'm doing it in a friends' garage.Anything else I will need?Thanks in advance for the help.

I would absolutely replace the gaskets. They are now 7 years old. There is every likelihood that they have hardened some over the years. It's way too much trouble to have to tear it down again later to replace them if they leak.

:sign yeah that: +1

Skydoc's kit has what you'll need usually, if it does not have a shim you need most dealer service departments will swap you shim for shim .

Yea its above a pry bar and block of wood deal. However I did see a pic where a fellow was using a flat piece of metal bolted to the cam journal and a piece of all thread. Somehow I'm sure thats not an approved way to get it done.

Thread linked below has a Excel spreadsheet that will help with valve shim calculations.

Also a blank sheet for recording values.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43410

Gary

Works great too, I printed it out and wrote all the measurements on it came in plugged them in and selected the proper shims and off I went