IGNORED

problem starting wierd??

Atoolnut

Weird problem today.key on no fuel pump noise. All lights radio electrical worked. Turned key off on couple times nothing.turned off ,waited then key on, click

of a relay,fuel pump heard then bike started.. any ideas

Fuel pump bailing?..relay need replacing?.... 2008rsv with 8000mi

Thanks les

Edited by Atoolnut

Was there any problem with it starting?

When it is hot out sometimes the fuel bowls are already full due to expansion. I've had it happen to me too and started wondering if there was a problem with my pump.

To do a test.... turn the fuel petcock off from the tank and start the bike. Let it run for a few minutes to drain the carbs. Turn off the bike and then open the petcock and turn the key to ignition. If the pump is working you'll hear it clicking.

If you don't hear clicking make sure that you ran the bike long enough to drain fuel out of the carbs. You could turn off the petcock and start the bike and let it run until it stalls for lack of fuel but this will take a while. 2 or 3 minutes should be fine for doing the test above.

forgot to say bike started right up cold...ran for a timewhile i put helmet on then quit...did not hear fuel pump start for a few tries then heard what sounded like a relay click then fuel pump sound....is there a relay for fuel pump or is this a symptom of something worse? ignition sitch wiring problem...started today no problem morning and night with a cuople stops in between..ideas??

forgot to say bike started right up cold...ran for a timewhile i put helmet on then quit...did not hear fuel pump start for a few tries then heard what sounded like a relay click then fuel pump sound....is there a relay for fuel pump or is this a symptom of something worse? ignition sitch wiring problem...started today no problem morning and night with a cuople stops in between..ideas??

I cannot tell from your description if you have a problem or not - you really have not provided enough information to troubleshoot. Ordinarily you will never hear the fuel pump unless the bike has been sitting at least overnight, so not hearing it after the engine died is totally normal unless you know there is no fuel in the carbs.

Yes, there is a fuel pump relay - it is in the same unit that houses the starter cutout relay and several diodes that isolate the neutral and side stand switches. Problems with that relay are exceedingly rare.

Goose