IGNORED

Tail of The Dragon route North or South??

djh3

Yea I know over rated, to busy etc. I have done it once entering from the north up by the Fontana Dam I think it is. In October the wife and I have a trip planned to Franklin Nc for a week. I was thinking about mostly shorter day trip maybe 2hr to somewhere shop etc then maybe an hour over to some other littel town and hour or so there working our way back. I was thinking of up 28 across the Cherola to Teleco up to the Dam area and then down the Dragon.

If your riding the Dragon do you prefer making the trip from the north side or the south?

Glad you mentioned the Cherohala Skyway, I would rather ride that than the Dragon. Having said that, I don't really have a preference of which way i ride The Dragon, either way is a blast to me. We've ridin it a couple times, but I'm sure some of the folks that live close to it and ride it regularly will have a preference of which way is best.

For my money,The Cherohala, Hwy 28, 74, The Blue Ridge Pkwy, and a couple other roads are the reason I would go to that area. The Dragon is just a little fun icing on the cake while you're their.

My Honey and I will be riding through that area the weekend of Sept 7th on our way to the Outer Banks. We're looking forward to it.

Ditto....no preference either way....we did bottom to top and then back again yesterday. It takes all of 20 minutes each way....nice, but nothing to write home about. It's like waiting 2 hours at Disney to get on a kick-ass roller coaster, and having the ride last 3 minutes. Same kind of experience. But it is fun!

The Cherohala is an awesome ride. Rt. 28, the Blueridge Pky., and the Foothills Pky are also "have to's" on any trip to that area. Another great ride is the Wayah Road from Rt. 129 down to Franklin, and then Rt. 64 down to Highlands....several nice waterfalls on that route.

Have fun!

A good ride but I'm from West Virginia.....:think: but I always have a blast down there!! I was the 1st Venture.Org member to show up at the 1st Vogel Meet. On a 1st Gen!! No one there!! I thought I was in the wrong place!!!:duck: But I showed up before daylight. Guess I just wanted to get things rolling. And look at them Now!!:clap2::clap2:

A good ride but I'm from West Virginia.....:think: but I always have a blast down there!! I was the 1st Venture.Org member to show up at the 1st Vogel Meet. On a 1st Gen!! No one there!! I thought I was in the wrong place!!!:duck: But I showed up before daylight. Guess I just wanted to get things rolling. And look at them Now!!:clap2::clap2:

I want to ride 16 up towards your place and come back down 41, been along time since I rode up that way.

Guest scarylarry

Not sure or your dates going there but in Sept. there are 2 car shows in Pigeon Forge and by all means avoid that area..

Even the locals hate it..

Look under Pigeon Forge cars shows and that will give you the dates..

You should be ok around the dragon but I wouldn't bank anything..

I know the weekend is usualy busy there. Need to make a note and do it that Monday or Tue. Leaving Fl the 11th Oct staying over night in Robbins AFB Ga. Frankilin the 12th oct. Leaving Franklin the 17th and staying again in Robbins. I need to find some info out about the water falls in the area. I heard somewhere over by Highlands?

You weren't supposed to beat me there, now, a question, have you been the first one there to any other of the events you have been to?

I've done it once in both directions(and I live in NC). Nice that I can say I did it, but if I never did it again it wouldn't bother me. However, that area does have some of the best, and most enjoyable riding to be found anywhere. Rt 28 (a section formerly called Hellbender, now called Moonshiner), Cherohala Skyway, and many other great roads. If you are going to ride the Dragon try to plan it for a weekday(see "too busy" below). The day we were there, there was a mustang club on it and we counted no less than 54 Mustangs(ALL YELLOW!?) come by Deals Gap in a continuos group + a few red and black ones at the end(the black sheep?) and that was a friday. Also the LEO's(especially on the TN side) will write you up for speeding and crossing the yellow line. Saw 2 riders get tickets in the 2hr we were there.

sp!ke

Yea I know over rated, to busy etc. I have done it once entering from the north up by the Fontana Dam I think it is. In October the wife and I have a trip planned to Franklin Nc for a week. I was thinking about mostly shorter day trip maybe 2hr to somewhere shop etc then maybe an hour over to some other littel town and hour or so there working our way back. I was thinking of up 28 across the Cherola to Teleco up to the Dam area and then down the Dragon.

If your riding the Dragon do you prefer making the trip from the north side or the south?

Ditto....no preference either way....we did bottom to top and then back again yesterday. It takes all of 20 minutes each way....nice, but nothing to write home about. It's like waiting 2 hours at Disney to get on a kick-ass roller coaster, and having the ride last 3 minutes. Same kind of experience. But it is fun!

The Cherohala is an awesome ride. Rt. 28, the Blueridge Pky., and the Foothills Pky are also "have to's" on any trip to that area. Another great ride is the Wayah Road from Rt. 129 down to Franklin, and then Rt. 64 down to Highlands....several nice waterfalls on that route.

Have fun!

BobbyG, Is that Wayah Rd good and smooth? You got me interested in going this route when we are in that area Sept 8th.

Lynn

Have'nt firmed up any routes yet but guess I better get going on it. May go over towards Murphy then the Cherola one day and then another go to say Gattlinburg/ Pigen Forge and come back the Dragon another day.

I don't care which direction I go, but I do have a strong day preference: Tuesday. Weekends are absolutely out. Fridays and Mondays can have long-weekenders. Tuesdays have had the least people of any days I've been there. That's a good thing.

And yes, the Cherohala is a must-do.

BobbyG, Is that Wayah Rd good and smooth? You got me interested in going this route when we are in that area Sept 8th.

Lynn

Lynn, it's a very good road, but like all country mountain roads down here, you have to watch for gravel washout areas. We hit a good one on Rt. 64 yesterday. :shock3:

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. I rode from Franklin on Wayah Road to the Dragon. I would say that Wayah Road was just as much fun as anything else on that side of the park. I have been told by some that riding the Dragon from south to north is the safer of the two directions.

If you are leaving from Franklin, consider 28 south to Highlands, then 64 east to Rosman. From there, take 215 north to Bethel. 215 is a fabulous road with lots of technical sections and a couple of really spectacular waterfalls.

I would recommend that you look us America Rides maps. They aren't expensive, and are very complete in every way. The maps list a number of the best roads in the area, routes with times to ride, and where all the waterfalls are. Well worth the cost to me.

You will find lots of beautiful scenery in the area with about every type of riding you could wish for.

I have run the 28 south to Franklin a few times from Bryson City area (I forget the road there 4 lane). But the 28 is a neat road I had never heard anything about and stumbled across because at the time it fit the bill. Backroad and got me from point A to B. Plan on rides over to Highlands and bridal veil falls telico plains, Probably to the Apple Barn I think its called up by Pigeon Forge/Gattlinburg area.

I have rode the Dragon both ways, it is the same. Week days are the best. If you are going to ride the Sky way to Tellico Plains stop by bald River Falls it is just off the Sky way and you don't have to get off your bike to see it. I would post a picture if I knew how.

Jim

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. I rode from Franklin on Wayah Road to the Dragon. I would say that Wayah Road was just as much fun as anything else on that side of the park. I have been told by some that riding the Dragon from south to north is the safer of the two directions.

If you are leaving from Franklin, consider 28 south to Highlands, then 64 east to Rosman. From there, take 215 north to Bethel. 215 is a fabulous road with lots of technical sections and a couple of really spectacular waterfalls.

I would recommend that you look us America Rides maps. They aren't expensive, and are very complete in every way. The maps list a number of the best roads in the area, routes with times to ride, and where all the waterfalls are. Well worth the cost to me.

You will find lots of beautiful scenery in the area with about every type of riding you could wish for.

Dave,

I don't see Bethel on Google Maps. Is that after you cross the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I'm trying to put together a route for when my wife and I are out there Sept 8th.