IGNORED

85 Temperature Gauge Issue!

My 85 temp gauge has stopped working. Fan still starts when the bike heats up so everything is working except the actual gauge. Is there a cost effective/easy fix. Seem that all the wires are there and attached.

Thanks.

It could either be the gauge or the sender. The sender is located on right front side of motor. If you remove the radiator side guard you should be able to see it. There are two senders in the radiator hose junction tubing. One is for the fan and other is for gauge unit. Gauge unit has a Green with Red tracer wire going to it. Fan sender is a Blue with Green tracer. Either of these sensors can be shorted to ground on the connecting wire side to with no bad effects. The gauge sensor should cause the gauge to go full scale, the fan on will turn the radiator fan on. Both need the key on to do this.

Gary

As Dingy said, there are two senders in the top radiator hose. One is for the temperature gauge and the other turns on the cooling fan. It is possible the temperature gauge sender is unplugged.

Ask me how I know about this . . . :whistling:

Timely thread the temp guage on my 86 stopped working too. Plus i need to check the vacuum on the No.2 cylinder cause it got hot the other day and the idle started to go up again. Still haven't worked out all the bugs from my new girl.

• 3 weeks later...