IGNORED

front brake lever switch on new thread

Yamaha FRONT STOP SWITCH ASSEMBLY

http://partstream.arinet.com/Content/Images/logos/YAM.png

Part Number:26H-83980-00-00

can anyone tell me if this is the correct part i need for 84 w/cruise i went to clean the switch and pulled the rain cover off and found i had nothing butthe contact board i am finding that i enjoy working on my bike fixing the little things giving it a lot of TLC but i cant fix whats not there thispart list for 26.00 from i think yamy parts monster and yamy parts house thanks in advance for the correct part # i need

Not sure on the number but it should have 4 wires instead of 2. The later version switch had noise filters on the switch as well to eliminate the "pop" in the audio system when you put the brakes on, but either works. One set of contacts is NC (the cruise control contacts) while the other set is NO (the brake light contacts).

If you want a used one I will check I might have one for the asking...

I don't think that's the correct switch. The part you listed is from the base Venture, where the Royale used a different switch. I could be wrong, but I think the Royale had cruise.......

The Royale switch is listed as discontinued.

Is the rest of your switch still snapped into the brake lever perch? You might be able to salvage this one.

I believe the 41V-83980-01-00 FRONT STOP SWITCH ASS'Y is for the Venture Royale (four wire)

While the 26H-83980-00-00 FRONT STOP SWITCH ASS'Y is for the standard Venture (sans cruise control, two wire)

Although the two wire unit is quoted for under $40... the four wire is asking about $60.

The 2WR-83980-01-00 is the newest version with the noise filter and at over $150 is probably not the best choice as they are basically asking for your first born and part of your retirement for a thimble full of plastic and copper. Although some of us may consider offering the first born with only a little reluctance, ebay, salvage or these fine gentlemen is where I would hunt if that's the way you want to go.

Edited by mbrood

Out on a trip now and my switch stop working the brake light but cruise still works. Searching forums using cell phone Dora's anyone know of a walk through for cleaning this switch or do they just die?

Look at link below, it is the 1st Gen Tech section. There are several posts I did which step by step show cleaning a switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Call me, my phone number 419-six one zero 4972

Gary

Are you sure about only having the contact board? I believe there are 2 pieces and one stays inside the switch when you pull it apart.

positive y'all say pics its the only way to prove and i have pics on my phone i will post them later but from looking at dingy thread on cleaning the switch I'm missing half or more of the internals i have only the 4 wire contact board and half of the case

Not sure on the number but it should have 4 wires instead of 2. The later version switch had noise filters on the switch as well to eliminate the "pop" in the audio system when you put the brakes on, but either works. One set of contacts is NC (the cruise control contacts) while the other set is NO (the brake light contacts).

If you want a used one I will check I might have one for the asking...

well then i am asking if you have one and what do you want for it if you have it :cool10:

I think a clutch side switch would also work on the throttle side. It may need wires swapped in the connector, but I don't think so, looking at the schematics. The wire color codes are different, but that really wouldn't matter. Next owner may be baffled at some future time, but that's his problem. For $12 we can figure it out for him.

Connectors are physically the same.

Gary

And I would definatly recrute him or her on that might even give him first yr. Free for buying the bike if I sell it just waiting for the title to come in so I can get an antique tag for it spent 28.00 + 10.00 for tag and title transfer when that comes in it will be another 28.00 for the paperwork and wont have to spend another dime on the tag :cool10: bit I will check into the clutch switch

I go back to my earlier question.......

The housing for the switch (the part not shown in your pictures) snaps into the perch for the brake lever. You're sure it's not still attached to the motorcycle?

I think Dingy is probably right. The clutch side switch could be made to work.

Yes I have one, may be the clutch one but as Gary said it should work. You will probably have to disassemble and service it but it's an easy job. Just PM me your addy and I'll send it out NC.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but been kind of busy this weekend...

• 3 weeks later...

Dealing with this now while switch is on the bike. how do you remove the housing from the lever?

Looking at Dingy's write up on how to clean it, I was able to remove the back and spring as well as the contact plate with four wires attached. However the housing and plunger are still on the bike and I don't see how that piece is removed. :confused07:

Hoping someone can chime in so I can try to get this thing either cleaned today or part ordered tomorrow.

Thank you.

Bob

Part # = 26H-83980-00-00

Part Description = FRONT STOP SWITCH

XVZ1200L 1984 1200 XVZ1200 VENTURE Touring

XVZ1200LC 1984 1200 XVZ1200 VENTURE (Cal) Touring

XVZ12TDK 1983 1200 XVZ12TD Venture Royale Touring

XVZ12TK 1983 1200 XVZ12T Venture Touring

XVZ13S 1986 1300 XVZ1300 VENTURE Touring

XVZ13T 1987 1300 XVZ1300 VENTURE Touring

Dealing with this now while switch is on the bike. how do you remove the housing from the lever?

Looking at Dingy's write up on how to clean it, I was able to remove the back and spring as well as the contact plate with four wires attached. However the housing and plunger are still on the bike and I don't see how that piece is removed. :confused07:

Hoping someone can chime in so I can try to get this thing either cleaned today or part ordered tomorrow.

Thank you.

Bob

Hey venturebob if you look at the bottom of the housing and lever you will see a hole big enough to put a small screwdriver in it push it in and the housing can be pulled out