IGNORED

I don't have much to offer..

uncledj

What a great site.

So many top mechanics willing to offer any info to help another Venturerider.

For what it's worth, I'm a pretty decent HVAC Tech, although I do commercial / industrial work, there's not much to the residential work, which is where I started.

Since I can't profess enough knowledge about these bikes to help in that manner, if any of y'all need help with the home furnace or a/c, right down to a house call if you're within a reasonable distance, please let me know.

I've never been shy about helping out when I can.

I live in Central Ohio and would be only too happy to help a fellow Venturerider.

PM me if you need help. I'll get it on my phone and I'll get back to ya shortly.

Pay it forward.

Thanks for being there.

John:)

I don't have much to offer..

You dont need anything to offer...just be yourself and you will find other VR family here...:thumbsup2:

What a great site.

Glad you like it. Enjoy the ride..:cool10:

For what it's worth, I'm a pretty decent HVAC Tech, although I do commercial / industrial work, there's not much to the residential work, which is where I started.

Hey John,

Would you know anything about Robinair A/C Gauges (with Hoses)?

I have a set and dont have any use for them. I dont know a thing about them or what they are worth.

If you could use them or know someone who can, Im willing to let them go for next nothing .. or a fair offer.

Edited by Eck

If they're in decent shape they should bring $40 or $50 on e-bay or Craigslist. I personally have 5 or 6 sets and rarely use more than one at a time.....I keep 3 sets in the van.

I'd keep 'em if I was you. Ya never know when you'll want a way to read pressure on just about anything, and they'll look impressive hanging on the wall in the garage. lol:cool10:

Mechanical skills and knowledge about the Venture is just a small part of being a member of this Venture family. The friendship and fun we have together collectively is de real meat and taters of the Ventureriders.:cool10:

Boomer.....who sez de friendship here will beat a rich mother-in-law any old day.:whistling: :rotf:

What a great site.

So many top mechanics willing to offer any info to help another Venturerider.

Since I can't profess enough knowledge about these bikes to help in that manner, if any of y'all need help with the home furnace or a/c, right down to a house call if you're within a reasonable distance, please let me know.

I've never been shy about helping out when I can.

I live in Central Ohio and would be only too happy to help a fellow Venturerider.

PM me if you need help. I'll get it on my phone and I'll get back to ya shortly.

Pay it forward.

Thanks for being there.

John:)

Don't sell yourself short, without you and the rest of this motley bunch there would be no need for the mechanically knowledgeable members.

:farmer:

We can get most questions answered here but I do have one concerning Heat&Air. I replaced my entire system this year with a Trane system. Our A/C just didn't cut it in the old one and I was tired of calling repairman. Anyway Trane and company that installed made all the promises they should. Question is... My old Heat&Air had a little room that it all fit into. Door on front that covered this. They told me when installing the Trane that it wouldn't fit the old duct work. So it sticks out the door of the wall almost 2 inches. No way to put a door on there. Could they have not made a offset to move this thing back into the little room? Plenty of room to do it.Once again I paid ahead of getting it installed and they told me this is what I get. After they had torn out old system and 90+ temps with no A/C.

John...niice of you to share your expertise with venture members here. We have lots of good people here, who like to help others without expecting much in return. We are so fortunate. Just remember to shake their hands when you meet them in person and say " THANK YOU", and maybe share a cold one with them.:beer:

:canada:

YAMMER DAN

If you could send a pic that would help a lot, but if, as you say, there's room, then they should absolutely have put it back into the room as far as possible.

You can easily make adapters to conform to the situation. Sheet metal work is becoming a lost art, and many outfits use all purpose plenum kits to do installations which do not allow for lateral repositioning.

If I were you I'd make an issue of it, expressing that you want this system to fit in the room where it originally was. If you make enough of a stink, they'll do it. It can be done at a relatively low cost to them....only a few bucks for the metal work, with the main cost being labor to have their guys re-do it.

Personally, I wouldn't accept it.:080402gudl_prv:

Being that you're in Iowa and I'm in Ohio, I can't help you directly, but a used unit should be fine, and should be readily available among the local HVAC guys. A lot of folks like to upgrade, thinking a system 10+ years old is due for replacement, with salesmen happy to agree with them.

The fact is that you can easily get 20+ years from a maintained system. There's really not that much to them, and as long as the filter is replaced regularly and the outside unit is cleaned when needed, 20 years should be no problem. I work on a commercial unit in nearby Marion, OH with original components, although the fan motors have been changed over the years, and it was first started up in July of 1969.

Having said that, the trick is to find a 18,000 btu, or 1 1/2 ton system that has been removed from a home that's had the "upgrade". That would be the smallest split system I'm aware of, so it'd be just a bit uncommon, but they're out there.

You may want to try posting on your local Craigslist, either in "wanted" or, better yet in "services offered", since HVAC guys looking for work would regularly browse that category.

Given a bit of time, you should be able to find one that way, or if you have a friend of a friend who's an HVAC guy, have them put the word out that you're looking.

I'd expect to pay somewhere around $500 for a used system, with the inside coil and outside unit, and the same guy who sells it may install it for another ??? $750 ??? or so.

Another option may be to install a ductless mini split system. You can buy them off e-bay for under $1000, and if you're handy, you can even install it yourself. They work great, are whisper quiet and fairly easy to install, with the only downfall being that they don't have the ductwork to distribute the air throughout the home. This may not be a problem in the small space you're looking to cool.

After writing this, I think if I were you, I'd opt for the ductless mini split, if you think that'd do it for ya.

Feel free to pm me if you need a quick response to any questions.

Hope this helps:080402gudl_prv: