IGNORED

Anyone Into Vintage Audio?

Bvinson

ust curious, I have been collecting and and reselling vintage stereo equipment for about 3 or 4 years now. It is a addictive hobby if you enjoy music in a full and more spacial format than a set of hearbuds and MP3 compressed format.

I have worked my way up to a system now that I could only dream of earlier in life. I think I may have my ultimate system in the works. I just picked up a pair of McIntosh MC-30 tube amps. Can't wait to hear them up and singing.

My current main system consists of,

Klipsch Forte II & Klipsch LaScalla speakers

Yamaha C4 preamp & Yamaha M4 amp

Empire 598 Turntable

Pioneer 707 Reel to Reel

Rotel 855 CD

If you share this little addiction let me know what you have for a setup.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/CNONT/sys1.jpg

Edited by Bvinson

Such a deal I may have for you..........

I still have some of my old audio gear that there is just not room in my living room for, It is collecting dust and occupying space in a spare room.

I have to look and see what is all left.

It is to long ago, for me to remember names and model numbers.

I have a Luxman Hybrid tube amp that I bought in the early 80's that still works like it did then......I bought a set of Bose 901's at the same time and the speaker surounds were rotted...I contacted Bose last year and they replaced them....for a fee....now thats a Warranty! I still use the Luxman ststem but did go to a Sony surround setup - there is no comparison when it comes to sound between the two.

Keith

Luxman is some good equipment. I bet that is a sweet sounding amp. Do you have the equalizer that goes with the 901's? Just curious because I have heard them with and without.

Refoaming the surrounds is no big deal. I have a buddy that does them all the time. He buys the kits off ebay and I have watched him redo them. Takes about 15-20 minutes a speaker. I always thought there was more to it but it is pretty simple.

I have a 1900 vintage Thomas Edison crank Phonegraph in cabinet with all of the original records. What is that worth to you?

I don't go that far back but I do know someone that does. He collects old radios and I will say that some of them are amazing. I will see if he is interested.

Not into 'vintage' - but have 'old' (and cheap).

Pioneer SX-450 Receiver (same unit I purchased in 1972)

Pioneer SX-950 Receiver

Yamaha (don't recall model) turntable with Grado cartridge

All my old speakers (Pioneer HPM100) were smoked by the SX-950 (usually caused by Edgar Winter Frankenstein) and were tossed.

Not quite the quality of the equipment you are dealing with. Very nice setup.

However, reel to reel? Can you still get tape? I remember my uncle having an Akia (IIRC) RtR and was very impressed with it. Mind you, this was in the late '60 / early '70s.

Still love the old vinyl though.

My boss used to have a set of Dalquist speakers that were amazing. Need to check to see if he still has them.

RR

My brother buys old high end stuff , usually for very low, and refurbishes it. I know he does a lot of refoaming speakers, replacing capacitors... to get them back in spec's then resells. A lot of people like hearing vinyl on a good system, he said that cd's don't even compare. He's a musician and really gets into the quality of the music, I don't have his ear and cd's sound fine to me.

Not into 'vintage' - but have 'old' (and cheap).

Pioneer SX-950 Receiver

Yamaha (don't recall model) turntable with Grado cartridge

However, reel to reel? Can you still get tape? I remember my uncle having an Akia (IIRC) RtR and was very impressed with it. Mind you, this was in the late '60 / early '70s.

Still love the old vinyl though.

RR

Well Vintage for the electronics from the 70's qualifies. The 950sx is a very nice unit. bad news is that it really needs to be recapped. The speaker protection circuit is one of the first things to go in the SX lineup. I have a 850 as my garage system and she still cranks it out.

Yamaha turntables like everything from that era had its ups and downs. The YP-b4 for example is a great table..

You can still get NOS tape and I pick up a lot of new tape from estate sales. My wife goes to estate sales with a friend and calls me if she sees something intresting.

You are correct Vinyl Rules...

My brother buys old high end stuff , usually for very low, and refurbishes it. I know he does a lot of refoaming speakers, replacing capacitors... to get them back in spec's then resells.

The high end market has gone crazy in the past couple of years. The McIntosh amps I just picked up sold for $160.00 new. A pair that has been reworked by a good tech will bring $3000.00 today.

Yep I have the EQ with the 901's....they say not to use them without it....not sure what would happen. I ordered the refoam kit for the 901's but when they made the offer I decided to go with new. I picked up a set of 601 series 1 awhile ago that I use with my surround system. I had a set before the 901's and looked for years to get a set....refoamed for $150.....sweet sound. Starting to worry about all the magnets being in one room!!!

Keith

I'm running some early 70's and 80's BOSE gear. I have a BOSE 4401 preamp I rebuilt driving two BOSE 1800 Amps. These are connected to 4 BOSE 901 series V speakers on one amp and two BOSE 901 series 2 on the other amp. You might say a Super Bose System. That's about 650 watts per channel. I have a BOSE turntable I'm repairing and currently running a Kenwood tuner. I also have a BOSE 1801 amp waiting on a restore.

Klipsch have always been good speakers, I remember back in the late 70's a Marantz Gold face way one of the most sought after systems. My Mother had a standard Marantz and I used and abused that Amp/tuner to no end. Back then Fisher wasn't a terrible brand either, as I tried to blow those Fisher speakers up that she had too

:whistling:

I retired all my old school stuff ... and have gone new school.

I'm running:

Onkyo PR-SC5508 preamp/processor

Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray multi-player

(2) Emotiva XPA-1 mono block power amps for mains

(1) Emotiva XPA-5 power amp for center/surrounds

Furman IT-Reference 15i AC line balancer

Canton Ergo 70 DC's main left/right spkrs

Canton Ergo 51 DC center

(4) Canton Ergo 22 DC's for surrounds and rears

KRK 10s powered Subwoofer

The system ROCKS!!!

[ATTACH]70499[/ATTACH]