On the way to work this morning the 93 lost pulling power. Idles ok but when you try to take off for a stop it is like you are in second gear. I took the plug wires off each cylinder one at a time and have spark. I took them apart and cleaned them as described here. The front right resistor was black and there was no spring. Is that bad. I didn't have a meter so couldn't test. Also noticed there are no flat washers in any of them. Are they important and could any of this be my power problem? Thanks Kevin

PS would like some phone support if anyone is willing. Thanks again:confused:

This may be totally off base, but have you tried to pull off the gas cap? I have seen the cap vent be plugged and create a partial vacuum in the tank which would starve the bike for gas. If you try to pull it off and it is hard to remove the cap is bad or the vent is plugged...just my mind wandering.

Ok checked gas cap and it popped right off. Took the air box top off and the slides are dancing when you hit the gas. They don't all return to the same spot though. But the real question is do you need the flat washers in the wires and what does a black resistor mean? BTW the plugs are only a couple old but the wires I have no idea, they came with the bike. 76000 miles:puzzled:

The thin flat washer between the spring and the resistor keeps the end of the spring from digging into the resistor from vibration. It's a small diameter but easliy fabricated.

I would vote for a leak on the boost sensor hose or a faulty one.

First off, it's not the boost sensor hose....On my 89, the hose was cracked and the bike ran fine. The gas mileage was a little low, and the bike did feel better after I fixed it, but it wasn't bad enough to notice when I had zero vacuum advance. Also, the boost sensor has no effect at full throttle. It only works at partial throttle and then when the motor is above idle speed.

Is it running on all 4 cylinders?? Does the motor sound normal?? If it is, I'd check out what Carl suggested----maybe a dragging brake. If it isn't running on all 4 cylinders, we need to determine what's wrong with that cylinder. The only thing that will affect all 4 cylinders is the TCI unit.

Frank D.

Ok checked gas cap and it popped right off.

Just to clarify this, you want to check tank as soon as engine dies, assuming a safe pullover to side of road. It will have a in rush of air (whooshing) if vent is restricted.

Gary

New info on the loss of power. Today I checked the fuel filter and fuel pump, both are good. With the bike cold it still has no power. I found what i think is the boost sensor hose (see 1st pic, hose with white connector) and applied vacume (sp) and no change in idle at all. Took a short ride with the hose lose and no change in condition. I looked at the hose and it appears to be in good shape. I could blow though it. Could the boost sensor be bad and if so how do you get it out and where do you get a replacement? Also what is the canister in the second pic and do i need it? Thanks for all the help. Kevin :cool10:

New info on the loss of power. Today I checked the fuel filter and fuel pump, both are good. With the bike cold it still has no power. I found what i think is the boost sensor hose (see 1st pic, hose with white connector) and applied vacume (sp) and no change in idle at all. Took a short ride with the hose lose and no change in condition. I looked at the hose and it appears to be in good shape. I could blow though it. Could the boost sensor be bad and if so how do you get it out and where do you get a replacement? Also what is the canister in the second pic and do i need it? Thanks for all the help. Kevin :cool10:

The stock sensors have been known to fail on numerous occasions.

If you can blow through the hose from the intake port, without the other end being unhooked intentionally, then it has to be leaking to the sensor.

PM me if you get to point of wanting to replace it, I probably have an extra one.

Gary

Also what is the canister in the second pic and do i need it? Thanks for all the help. Kevin :cool10:

The canister is for California emission equipped bikes and is only there to absorb gas vapors and recirc vapors when running. At least that is my understanding of its function.

Mike Allen (Bikeless in SA)

When I found that my boost sensor hose had split where it attaches to the engine, I started to wonder what condition the rest of the hose was in. I took my Mighty=Vac pump (the same one we use to bleed the clutch and brakes) and hooked it to the hose and pumped. It held the vaccuum. I decided to test the boost sensor. I started the bike, and pumped vaccuum.....no change in engine speed. I released the vaccuum, and had my wife hold the engine speed @ 3000 RPM, and then pumped the vaccuum up again....the engine sped up quite a bit. When I released it, the speed dropped back. It doesn't work at idle, so you have to check it with a higher engine speed. I replaced the first section of hose, up to the restrictor and everything was fine. BTW, my bike is an 89, so the TCI is a bit different.

Frank D.

Ok so i checked the boost sensor again and this time there was a change in the rpms. So i thought maybe it was a fuel problem. I had some sea foam intake cleaner so i started the bike and co-minced to soaking the carbs. The amount of smoke and the smell was unbelievable. I don't think we will need a bug truck spraying for awhile.

So while cleaning the bike started running bad. I thought it must be the sea foam. Well it died and when i tried to restart the fuel pump started pumping like crazy and the bike would not start. I looked at the fuel filter and it was empty. The bike had gas in the tank. Went to the fuel shut off and moved it to reserve and the filter filled back up and the bike started. After all that I sprayed some more cleaner in the carbs and went inside.

Get on the bike to come to work this morning and it is running alittle better. I get to the stop sign at the end of the street and the bike is idling at 3000 rpm. Drive to the gas station(13 miles) and it is still idling high. Shut off, fill with gas and restart it is idling fine. Ride to work (46 miles) bike still not right.

I think the problem is fuel delivery now. Going to get a new filter this afternoon and try that. Could the carbs have come out of sync and cause this?:puzzled::confused07::confused24: