IGNORED

please help a newbe

fubar

i just got my first Venture an 08 have 2 helmets with J&M headsets i know thay are good,,all the stereo,cb ,cass,every thing works but my mic's dont,,driver or passenger DOES not work on intercom or cb,,i know i have missed a post but i did look before i bothered you guys,,thanks for any help

I take it you have the IC volume turned up on the controller and the passenger volume is turned up but that still does not explain the CB. Will have to think on it some more. You don't have Harley headsets by any chance do you?

He said the mics don't work... sounds like he IS getting sound thru the speakers in the helmet.

Probably one of the connections inside the fairing is loose. If you read in the 2nd Gen tech section about splitting the fairing (or do a search) you'll see how to do it. The connections are on the right side of the headlight (if you are in front of the bike looking at the headlight they are on your left side as you are facing the bike). Look for large connectors and unplug/plug them back in. Some people apply dielectric grease to the sockets (but do NOT get grease on the contacts!).

Pull the plugs at the helmet end, look inside the plug to see if one or more of those itty bitty pins are bent or missing. We had this problem with one of our mic's right after we got our first RSV. One of the pins were bent. This connection is the weakist point in this system.

i checked the plugs there fine,,the driver nor the passenger mic will work,,,made sure it was on ic tryed it at 5-10-15-20,,, like i said the cb well key up but nothing through the mic,,,i tryed in with the driver and the passenger headset

Just a dig at HD...:clap2:

ignore the man behind the curtain.

you'll get used to it eventually!

HD headsets have a mic amp in them so they will not work on a non HD system:stickpoke:

Check the cable all the way to make sure it is not cut or split

Product Description

Open-face Style Stereo Helmet Headset with 5-pin Single-section Hook-up Cord

# HS-8154B-OF

This helmet headset features two wide-fidelity helmet speakers in stereo, a low-noise dynamic boom microphone and our 5-pin (only), single-section hook-up cord.

It is designed to be installed in most of the 3/4 (open face) style helmets available today.

It utilizes the standard 5-pin din-plug and is tuned for use with the following audio systems:

1980-2012 Honda® and J&M® 5-pin audio systems.

1983-2010 Yamaha® and Suzuki® 5-pin audio systems.

1983-2005 Kawasaki® 5-pin audio systems.

1989-1997 Harley-Davidson® 5-pin audio systems.

Any chance the bike has Mic-Mutes on it? I don't have them, but I think you toggle the mics on and off by pressing the push-to-talk button for the CB.

Only other thought I have is get together with another Venture owner and try the headsets on a Venture that the system is known to be good. Could help pin down the problem.....:confused24:

You did go through the manual I take it . . .

My first thought is find someone who has a working set meet them and try connecting to their bike to make sure all is good.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/LIT-11626-21-42_Royal_Star_Venture_1465.pdf

I would also pull the drivers & passengers seat, connections under passengers seat and check those. Make sure nothing is muted and I would start with the cb off and just try the IC. Under the fairing there are also two white plastic connectors, did you check those for corrosion also.

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6906

No fuses for the mic's. it's my understanding that mic mutes are a after market add on. I believe I read somewhere here that they work throught the transmit switch. Try keying the transmit botton and see if it works. Or maybe you allready did this:confused24:

Unless the PO instaled mic mutes it's just vox, the ic volume should be turned all the way up. The way to tell if they installed them is to hit your cb transmit button and talk ( I have never had them so you might find freebird or someone that has them to be more helpful) .

You have the speakers off and have selected HS correct??? The IC won't work if the SP selected, you must have HS headset selected.

Set IC on 20, AV on 5

If you have mic mutes their will be a fuse under the seat, check to be sure the connections are clean.

Edited by dacheedah