IGNORED

Hid lights

Brenda H

I got a sale flyer from Cycle Gear. One of the things included is a HID headlight kit. Does anyone have one of these?? Listing includes sets for H4s, H7s, H9s, and H11s. Sale price is $55 [half off!]! Xenon 6000K bulb, 3000 lumens, w/35 watts. Mind you, it has a notation of "off road use only" with a photo demonstrating it that looks a whole lot like a GW!!

Anyone??

I've been the HID route. Not a good experience. It failed and Canadian Cruiser Customs stiffed me on the warranty!

I'm wondering about [ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10904-H4-Intense-White/dp/B000MG40QW/ref=pd_sim_auto_1]Amazon.com: PIAA 10904 H4 Intense White - H4 60/55W=135/125W Xtra Intense White Bulb, Twin Pack: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31E5YHnwdIL.@@AMEPARAM@@31E5YHnwdIL[/ame]

:confused24:

Cupcake

I am aware that I need a H4 but I'm also trying to figure out where to put the ballast that is also part of the system. Ventures have a place to hide the darn thing [the fairing], but a TC doesn't and what kind of weather protection does it have if any? Also, MRider is right. if the set doesn't have a dual bulb, I'd lose one of my beams.

Walter

I'm also aware of the "fun" you can have with HID systems. I remember how bright the set was that Gunboat had on his '99 and also the "fun" he had getting them to light up in the first place!

I'm just trying to find ways to light up the TC. If/when I start doing some serious touring on that thing, I want people to be able to see me coming and going. My replacing my original headlight bulb with one of the SilverStar Ultras showed just how dull and yellow my driving lights are. My current project is replacing the 2 in. reflectors that are built into the saddlebag sides with leds. The hang up there is that I'm looking for a specific set of wire connectors to use so that I can un/plug the lights when I have to remove the bags. OH FUN!

Any ideas??

Guest scarylarry

One thing I love about my Kaw is it will light up the sky...

I'm wondering if the bulbs out the Kaw will work on my RSV..

Yes my RSV lights up but not like the Kaw

1) Most of the ballasts are sealed units. Check with the vendor and see if they have a bracket for mounting it off some random bolt.

2) You will want to install a switch to manually turn on the light. Have it turned off when you start your bike. The power requirement of the starter will pull the voltage below the minimum threshold for the ballast and it will quit. This damages the ballast (or the ignitor) over time.

I killed a Custom Cruiser HID setup by having the light come on like stock. After much pestering, CC covered it and provided a replacement. Added a switch and haven't had any problems since (2 years and several thousand miles).

Assuming the TD is the same setup as the RSV, there is a single H4 bulb with a mechanism to change the focal distance to the reflector for high beams. They provide a lot of light. I love mine.

RR

You could ask the HID makers if they have an extension cord to relocate the ballast. That way you are not playing with any high voltage wiring. Besides, I'll bet that cutting the high voltage lead to splice in some extra length will void the warranty. HID is the same voltages as a spark plug, my HID is 23,000 Volts. Most test lead wire is rated for 10,000 V. You really don't want to touch that.:scared:

Zipcode had pretty much all of it hid in the headlight bucket. I don't know if the room is the same on your like his TD, but that's a good place to start with it. Lots of places to hide stuff, just have to be creative....

I think the igniter was zip-tied under the bucket, but the ballast was under the left-side neck cover. Or vice-versa. The plastic just behind the steering column. I wish they would make the wires longer. I also wish they would stop making the wires bright red. Hard to hide!

Brenda, I don't recall if you have them, but passing lamps are a great option. For one thing, they give you the important triangle of light that lets others see you. For another, they don't require hiding.

If you are really thinking of lighting things up, you can get self-contained HID driving lamps. Something like THIS, although there are a variety of makes and styles.

You might also consider an LED headlight. An advanced version like the new Phase 7 from Truck Lite looks decent. Reviews and photos HERE.

BTW, I am one of those whose discount HID died an early death. It wasn't that much brighter than my Sylvania Silverstar Ultra to begin with (if at all), so I chalked up the wasted money to experience.

Dave

I've had a great experience with HID lighting.

My '86 VR is fitted with an HID Projector in place of the standard headlight, plus a 4" HID Driving Light (Eurobeam pattern). It is waiting to be joined by a Spotbeam partner, but as it stands those lights pretty much turn night into day.

I rode through the Arkansas Mountains, including a trip to Signal Hill all in the dark, and never had a single problem with the lights.

I put a HID on back in 2009'. Bought two (2xballast, 2x bulb) on eBay for $50. Ditched the low beam and use the high beam as on/off. Just a subtle tinge of blue. Ballast plugs in light socket and I tote a reg H4 bulb as backup. That was 25k ago. Matches up nicely to my 10w,LED driving lights (which are color changing and use a summed white for driving). I love the HID!

Guest Slab_Ryder

Had CCC HID on my 08 Venture. I had a few problems with its consistency in lighting. I took it off early this year after the bulb started to smoke. I quickly replaced it with a Silverstar Ultra, and am very happy with it.

Had CCC HID on my 08 Venture. I had a few problems with its consistency in lighting. I took it off early this year after the bulb started to smoke. I quickly replaced it with a Silverstar Ultra, and am very happy with it.

The Silverstar Ultra is a useful upgrade on the stock bulb. It doesn't even come close to the lighting available with HID.

You had a bad kit, sorry about that.