IGNORED

Drive shaft R&R

ragtop69gs

If your talking about removing the driveshaft from the pumpkin or final drive I just pulled mine off without removing anything. Just a pull and a wiggle. I also used a allen wrench that fit the hole where the spring goes on the drive shaft to reinstall the shaft into the u joint then slip the final drive over it.

Yes and NO the drive shaft comes out of the swingarm but the U joint stays up inside the tube and flops down to one side or the other making it a little tedious to stab the drive shaft back in.

A LITTLE I gave up for tonight, I'll go at it again in the morning :whistling:

get a small flashlight and a mirror, so you can look down the tube to see where the end of the u-joint is positioned. Also put the transmission in gear, so the loose end of the u-joint won't move, as you attempt to plug the drive shaft in.

Guess I was extremely lucky, but after knowing where the "target" was located, I stabbed it on the 1st try. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

:stickinouttounge: :cool10: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

get a small flashlight and a mirror, so you can look down the tube to see where the end of the u-joint is positioned. Also put the transmission in gear, so the loose end of the u-joint won't move, as you attempt to plug the drive shaft in.

Guess I was extremely lucky, but after knowing where the "target" was located, I stabbed it on the 1st try. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

:stickinouttounge: :cool10: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

yep. it took me 2 days of trying to get it in.

Ragtop,

Putting the driveshaft back in the U-joint sometimes is a real pain!! I figured that seeing as the U joint will drop a little when the driveshaft is removed, when you put it back in, aim a little low. Also, if you put the transmission in a gear to keep it from turning, and then rock the pumpkin so the drive shaft turns, it'll help line the splines up. Just be patient, it'll go back in. When I've had problems with it, after I get tired of fighting with it and take a break, when I go back to it it goes right in.

Something important though.....AFTER you get it back in and the nuts back on the pumpkin, slip your rim back on the pumpkin and try to spin it. Seeing that the bike is in gear, you shouldn't be able to turn the wheel. If you can, the driveshaft went along side of the u-joint and you have to start over.

Frank D.

Ragtop,

Something important though.....AFTER you get it back in and the nuts back on the pumpkin, slip your rim back on the pumpkin and try to spin it. Seeing that the bike is in gear, you shouldn't be able to turn the wheel. If you can, the driveshaft went along side of the u-joint and you have to start over.

Frank D.

I have repeated this step at least 20 times yesterday :crying: :bang head:

Just don't grease that U-joint any more. In a few years it will stand straight out for you to make things easy to get the shaft back in........:whistling:

How would you go about greasing that joint Jeff ? it has no zerk fitting and is bolted to the output shaft. :think:

Just don't grease that U-joint any more. In a few years it will stand straight out for you to make things easy to get the shaft back in........:whistling:

How would you go about greasing that joint Jeff ? it has no zerk fitting and is bolted to the output shaft. :think: