IGNORED

Camera for passenger

XV1100SE

Looking at getting a camera that Nancy can use while we are riding so she can take pictures while we are rolling. Hoping to get recommendations.

We went to a camera store and the one they are recommending is the Canon Powershot D20

12.1mp

5x optical zoom with 28mm wide angle lens, digital zoon 4x

3" lcd

waterproof (to 33 feet), shockproof (up to 5', temperature resistant (14 to 104F)

gps tracker

1080P for video

shutter speed 1-1/1600sec

auto sensitivity - ISO100 to 3200 (optimal ISO auto set)

built in flash

continuous shooting - 1.9 shots/sec

This would be for still shots, small percentage video.

Want something waterproof (obviously) that has a fast shutter.

Suggestions?

Not sure why you want all the stuff you listed, but the Canon Rebel is fine for what you'll be doing. I have Sony cameras myself. What price range do you want to stay in? You shouldn't have to worry about dropping it as long as she keeps the strap wrapped around her wrist if she's worried about that sort of thing.

Margaret

Hey Don: Dianne uses a Cannon camera and it works well with the movement of the bike.

The pictures come out very clear. It's a couple of years old model Powershot A720 so I would say they are recommending a good one to you.

My SO uses a Canon Powershot A630. I have been impressed with the shots she has taken while riding down the road, except for one thing: the auto focus is often confused and refuses to focus on quickly moving objects (ie. roadside objects passed at 55mph). And it is not waterproof, but that is a small concern for her. She simply puts it into her rain gear pocket if it is raining.

I've been using a Cannon Power Shot A410 for several years. It's a 3.2 MP so it's pretty dated but it's been a very dependable camera. Seen some miles, been wet a few times and been hockpucked a few times to boot. I've been happy with the photos but it was always lacking a bit on the vid quality in my opinion.

I'm sure that has been improved over the last few years.

Mike

Karen uses the Cannon sx130is between 150 and 200 bucks @wally world 12.1 mega pixels 12x zoom not water proof but apparently shock proof because it has taken several bounces off the pavement :shock3: has a wrist strap does video and a lot we know nothing about. Takes great pics off the back of the bike while riding.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I do want waterproof since the jackets we use are the Tourmaster which doesn't have waterproof exterior pockets. The Utopia back rest I have has a pocket but I wouldn't call it waterproof.

LOL - for use on the bike Nancy would have it strapped to her wrist.... but she is prone to dropping things so shock proof is a plus !

Main concern on a camera is waterproof, fast shutter speed, and shock proof.

The back rest is where Karen keeps hers if it's raining hard enough for it to get wet there she won't be able to see to take pictures anyway so into the saddle bags it goes. But I understand if you want waterproof. The one you listed says good to 33ft maybe she could get some underwater pics of the pond monster.:stirthepot:

This should give you full size pictures that you would think are real. Sheesh who would spend that much :think:

I like the Canon Power shot takes great pictures at 70 mph. Not sure about Waterproof or not but I doubt a few drops are really the same as dropping it in the water.

Brad

Two others in the same price range as rated by PC Mag...

Olympus Tough TG-1 and Nikon Coolpix AW100

From what I've read... still leaning towards the Canon D20.

Canadian price (on sale at Henry's) - $339

U.S. price (on sale at Best Buy) - $279

I am still learning to use mine, has a lot of features, on vacation I used it to photograph my grandson jumping in the pool, used the sports setting and continous shooting and I got great shots of him flying through the air in perfect focus. It does great video also. If I ever learn to use it to 50% of its ability I will get some great shots, which I do already but some could be better.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343985980&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+Rebel+t3]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black): Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ynym0lo3L.@@AMEPARAM@@51ynym0lo3L[/ame]

Edited by DragonRider

Two others in the same price range as rated by PC Mag...

Olympus Tough TG-1 and Nikon Coolpix AW100

From what I've read... still leaning towards the Canon D20.

Canadian price (on sale at Henry's) - $339

U.S. price (on sale at Best Buy) - $279

Beware the Coolpix my daughters spent more time in for repair than she had it.

I really wouldn't worry much about the waterproof feature....but that's just me. We have taken thousands of pictures over the last 10 years using a variety of digital cameras, none of which were waterproof. I have a utopia backrest with pouch on my GW, and that's where the camera goes when it rains. On July 23rd we ran through a 45 minute downpour south of Luray, VA. Camera went into the pouch. Came out bone dry.

I honestly don't think you need a waterproof camera unless you are going to be taking pictures underwater.....

JMHO

Joe