IGNORED

Any maintenance days near Georgia coming?

Hi all, I hate to be the new guy wanting help, but hey, that's probably why most people find this site. I just bought a '99 RSV and trusted the seller a little too much. Apparenty he lied about having a dealer service done a 30,000 miles including the valves. I called the dealer and they had no record, and emailed him. He admitted he lied.

Sooo, now after gathering myself and considering suing the prick, I have much maintenance to do on the bike including the valves (it has 36,000 miles on it with some engine noise that makes me nervous), changing fluids, (since I found my clutch fluid almost empty today after the bike was lurching forward with the clutch all the way in), as well as other needed things.

Is there a maintenance day planned in this part of the world in the NEAR future? I really don't want to spend the money it looks like I could have to in order to have a reliable bike I trust having my wife on, and I use this bike as my daily rider to work... Or perhaps someone in the area who would be willing to show me some things?

Welcome George

? can you change your own oil if so with help from the folks here there is a awful lot you can do yourself. You might have to pick up a few tools but compared to what the dealer will charge you will be money ahead. If this is your first RSV some are noisier than others so I dont think I would go to worrying about the valves with your mileage just yet. Give it a good dose of sea foam to start with and flush that clutch with some fresh dot 4 brake fluid and give it a good bleeding. Might as well do the brakes while your at it. All the folks here will have you in good shape in no time.

Tom,

Dont sweat the small stuff, to be very honest with you, with that low amount of miles I wouldn't worry about the valves for another 20K miles. IF, the valve covers are leaking and you want to replace them, then check the valves, but normally the majority of all the bikes I have heard or worked on, haven't needed valve adjustments anything shy of 60K.

The engine noise is probably not a big deal either, these bikes are known for whiny clutch baskets. The motors are pretty much bullet proof, try a different oil in the case, I personally have used Shell Rotella T 15/40 in all 9 of my Ventures. FWIW, when I buy a used bike, no matter what I hear the po tell me, I do a complete tune up. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, and change out all the brake fluids in the bike. This way I have a record of when I started the maintenance.

I wish you were closer as I'd have you over to the house and we'd run through the bike. Hang in there a bit and I know one of the brethren in Georgia will chime in. If you want to come to Texas, I'll lodge and feed you and get your bike where it needs to be.

Thanks guys, I feel better already. Just was feeling a bit overwhelmed with what I thought were critical items to get done in a hurry. I can change my oil Playboy, and am not too afraid to get into a bike but valves are a bit intimidating without some oversight. I'll do the brake fluids this weekend and picked up some Rotella 15/40, maybe that will quiet things down. For sure a wealth of information on this site. Glad y'all think I can relax a bit. Etcsjoe, let me know please when you plan to do your valves and maybe I'll take a ride up. Thank you!

Also, I have a bit of a knock in the right rear cylinder at idle that gets quieter with the clutch pulled in a while, louder when released. It also goes away when riding. Any idea what could cause this? I do have about 4 oz of sea foam in the case now and it hasn't cleared up this noise....

welcome

To bad your not closer to Atlanta. My shop is always open when I'm around.

You should check your rear cylinder and make sure it is fireing. Have had some bad rear wires in the past on these bikes.

just pull the plug wire and see if the idle changes. I had to replace the right rear wire on my 2005 and a 2001

My 99 started to have the clutch slip at 30 k miles and a stronger clutch fixed it right up. Its and easy fix.

Ride safe and enjoy your new ride.

Steve

Also, I have a bit of a knock in the right rear cylinder at idle that gets quieter with the clutch pulled in a while, louder when released. It also goes away when riding. Any idea what could cause this? I do have about 4 oz of sea foam in the case now and it hasn't cleared up this noise....

This Knock is most likely the 6003 Bearing in the Clutch Pressure Plate. Nothing to worry about, it will last A LOT of Miles. If you going inside the Clutch, you can replace the Ball Bearing, but the Knock will come back again. It's because i kight not be the best Design Idea to put an axial Bearing under lateral Force.

I am ordering my stuff to do the valves with tomorrow so I will probably be doing them next Saturday the 11th if I get them in time. If anyone wants to come up or over and make fun I mean watch me I have two spare beds and a couch if you want to come up Friday.

Edited by etcswjoe