IGNORED

Cycle Gear Power Socket

etcswjoe

Bought a 12 Volt power adapter from Cycle Gear for 10 bucks and I think I will buy a couple more. I took the handle bar mount off and made the hole for the acc socket below the seat just a little bigger. For power I cut the factory plug off the acc wire, soldered them together and it works great.

http://www.cyclegear.com/_static/webupload/730/2_web1007420_3.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/12_volt_power_adapter/web1007420#pr-header-web1007420

Edited by etcswjoe

• 11 months later...
Bought a 12 Volt power adapter from Cycle Gear for 10 bucks and I think I will buy a couple more. I took the handle bar mount off and made the hole for the acc socket below the seat just a little bigger. For power I cut the factory plug off the acc wire, soldered them together and it works great.

http://www.cyclegear.com/_static/webupload/730/2_web1007420_3.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/12_volt_power_adapter/web1007420#pr-header-web1007420

Thank's Joe, that is exactly what I needed.

Much appreciated!

I'll be @#$ I didnt even know there was actually a place provided to put an aux power socket. I made a harness up and have it mounted on right side under hand rail so wife can get to it and connect phone etc.

quick question chief. going to do the same on my 02 midnight and want to use a 25 amp inline spade fuse. Will the wiring handle the load for a compressor or other power tool that feeds that plug our should I wire direct to the battery for that aux power source?

If you are going to do anything over 5 amps you have to either go straight to the battery or use a relay. 25 amps may be a little extreme for a power plug this one is rated at 10 amps and my compressor draws 8 so you may need one a little more heavy duty or go straight to the battery. In a pinch I might go 15.

For those that run things from the CIG power outlet. You can buy a 2A (amp) two outlet cig power adapter. It plugs into the CIG socket and makes it two USB.

This makes it easier to handle, you can power a GPS or charge a cell phone off it. Plus you can buy a ten foot mini USB at big box store. I use one outlet to charge my phone and the other with the ten foot cord to power my go pro camera.

Also the USB type cords can snake into a saddle bag easier allowing you to charge up while running in the rain.

If you need to seal anything use Rescue Tape. You can Google that.

Be sure to get a two amp CIG to USB as this is what is needed to per today's smartphone and tablets. I see them at truck stops a lot. About $15.[ame=http://compare.ebay.com/like/300624325160?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar]ATT SAMSUNG GALAXY S-2 SKYROCKET GRIFFIN POWERJOLT DUAL USB CAR CHARGER ADAPTER on eBay![/ame]

Up front off the plug in fairing I used a double outlet to power cell phone and GPS. Both use the normal round big type plug. But hey yours is a good idea. Where mine is is the wife had the tablet and her phone the tablet could be in the trunk charging while she is playing on phone. She likes to take pics on the phone as we are riding. Sometimes she dont even know what she took a pic of. lol We have tried this charge as you go before, but the current cord for phone is round and to big to close trunk over.

• 2 months later...

I like the BMW type plugs. smaller platform and technically superior to cigar type units. Trouble is you have to convert the north American stuff.

Need to figure out a good place to mount the plug - unfortunately lazy and can't bring myself to punch holes in the bike.

i rewired my lighter and added a dual position relay to my setups.In on mode my cigarette lighter works and goes through a relay and is fused for good measure directly connected to the battery.In bike off mode it toggles to my battery tender leads.The battery only charges when the bike is off.:lightbulb:

I picked up an automotive cigarette lighter at Canadian Tire a couple years ago and mounted it in the hole on the left side below the passenger seat. It isn't a marine grade...just a normal cigarette lighter.

Powered to a fuse panel I added with a 5A fuse. In 3 years riding in all kinds of weather I have not had an problems with it. At less than $10 if it does stop working it is cheap to replace. Power is on all the time so if I need to use the compressor with the bike turned off it will work.

I am going to add a Powerlet panel mount connector to my 87.This is a superior connector.

Yes, this will work with my BMW plugs. Also the Powerlet has minimum clearance sockets which will really help with mounting flexibility. The handle bar outlets look like top quality and look like the come with RAM compatible mounts for electronics.

You can find the fittings that work with our bikes on the site. Maybe a winter project???