IGNORED

Windsheild mod - saw the bottom?

oldryder

I like to look over the WS, not thru it. Given my height this means the stock WS is about 1-1/2 too high.

bike is 2008 star venture

was looking at it and seems like I could cut away the bottom to lower it and much more easily mask my cuts.

did some searching but didn't find any relevant threads.

Anyone done this or have advice?

I'm afraid that won't work. First, there are mounting slots in the bottom of the windshield so that if you cut off the bottom, you no longer have a way of mounting the windshield to the bike. As well, the windshield tapers down from the top, so the bottom width would be wrong. If you search through the threads on the forum, you can find several detailed accounts as to how members have shortened their windshields from the top quite successfully. Good luck!

Andy

Hey cutting from the bottom CAN be done!!! In one of my OOPS moments, I managed to break the windshield off the bike. It broke through the center bolt holes. I have to admit it was a challenge, because of all the complex curves. I first drew a template on paper and just tried sliding it up an inch. I then cut the bottom off with a sabre saw and used my roto-zip to cut the slots. Well it didn't fit, so I had to freehand the slots to make them line up. Mine is a wide windshield, so it extends over the fairing a couple of inches on either side. it is interesting that when I cut 1" off across the bottom, I had to cut 1-1/2" off the extended part, or the windshield would not drop down far enough to bolt in.

After I got it to fit properly, I used a small vibrating sander to "clean-up" all the exposed edges.

My only regret is that I didn't make it a 1/2" shorter than I did. Maybe some day when I find another "round-tuit" i'll cut it again. :rotf:

Hey cutting from the bottom CAN be done!!! In one of my OOPS moments, I managed to break the windshield off the bike. It broke through the center bolt holes. I have to admit it was a challenge, because of all the complex curves. I first drew a template on paper and just tried sliding it up an inch. I then cut the bottom off with a sabre saw and used my roto-zip to cut the slots. Well it didn't fit, so I had to freehand the slots to make them line up. Mine is a wide windshield, so it extends over the fairing a couple of inches on either side. it is interesting that when I cut 1" off across the bottom, I had to cut 1-1/2" off the extended part, or the windshield would not drop down far enough to bolt in.

After I got it to fit properly, I used a small vibrating sander to "clean-up" all the exposed edges.

My only regret is that I didn't make it a 1/2" shorter than I did. Maybe some day when I find another "round-tuit" i'll cut it again. :rotf:

Yikes! You have waaayyyy too much time on your hands! But you are definitely persistent!

Andy

I have read a few posts where fellows have got the tape on and then the goo wouldnt come off. Protecting the bottom of the saw might be a good preventative effort. I'm chicken, I think I'm going to try to make a template out of cardboard and cut a complete windshield out of lexan. If I break it, I guess I make new lowers for the bike instead.

Cutting a windshield is pretty straightforward, even if you do have your heart in your mouth every time you do it.

A jigsaw with the correct blade, run slowly will help with the heat. Even then the two halves may join together behind the cut, but have no fear, it will snap apart easily.

The cut edge will need plenty of sanding and make sure there are no sharp edges left. Once you have it smooth then you can "flame" the edge with a propane torch.

I've done this a few times and the results have been great.

I cut mine off - at the top. I see you're in "central MN". If you want to make a run to SW MN, I'd be willing to help with the project. I have an air conditioned shop and plenty of room right now. Just a thought for you.:fingers-crossed-emo

Hello: I too prefer to look over my windshield. Purchased other windshields but they were too short. With information, guidance and encouragement from this site I cut

1.5 inches off of the top of mine. I applied blue painters tape to both sides of the windshield and also the face of my jigsaw. Scribed a line onto the tape and made the cut. A file and fine sandpaper finished the project. Really pleased with a 17 1/2" windshield.:)

i us a 4"grinder with a fine cutoff wheel attached mark the line with a permanent market place screen on a towel covered bench and follow the line with the grinder you don't need to cut right through with the first cut if you cut about halfway through you can turn the screen over and follow the same cut from the other side then i use a belt sander to finish off the edge . get a scrap bit of perspex from the shed and give it a go :backinmyday: