IGNORED

Best and Carefull way to remove HD mufflers?

calperin

Somebody can help on how is the best and carefull way to remove the HD pipes to reinstall the original ones?

I already remove the clamp, but seems that the inner pipe didn't moved at all when I can see that the bracket on the back already moved at least 3/4".

Even the buffer is out, but I don't want to scratch anything.

Thanks,

Carlos

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

You removed both clamps up front and removed the bolts in the back? Should just pull out if you have not you need to remove the saddle bags to get to everything. Also when you go to reinstall stock the rubber bushings may not be there unless you took them out when you put the HD ones on

Take a look at this thread

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37981

Ok, I already removed the clamps and first at all the saddlebags.

No, I purchased the bike with the HD mufflers on it, but they're really noisy so I don't have any rubber parts or anything else but the stock mufflers I get from some other friend on this site. And inside it seems that they have a metal bushing on the front.

Is that what you're referring to?

The issue is that they 're so tight that I cannot take them out.

That is the history. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks,

Yes, thanks I have those.

My mufflers are for VR not RSTD. They have the same support for both HD and VR

I thought you was talking on the ones that are against the extension pipe.

Any way, I cannot take them off. I'm putting everything back and I'll check for some garage to do this.

I cannot do it by myself.

Thanks,

I know exactly where your coming from I had one stuck at the SE Texas MD a rubber mallet wouldn't touch it.

To get it off I used a Die grinder with a small cutting wheel.

First I cut the clamp and got that out of the way.

You will then see the slits in the muffler where it slips over the tail pipe.

Carefully cut along the slit making it longer probably on two of them.

You probably will not have to cut all the way through the muffler but real close. You just DO NOT want to cut through the bikes tail pipe.

Once you have weakened the muffler some side to side or up and down movement will let the end split open enough to come off.

I haven't tried this method but I just removed my Y pipes and there is two clamps and a mounting bolt right there where the muffler clamps on.

Loosen the two clamps and remove the bolt and the whole assembly should come off. You will need to remove the side cover first.

The second method would allow you to get it on the bench to do your cutting.

Hope this helps.:080402gudl_prv:

Once you DO get them off,,,,

Sand down the pipes (or emery cloth) then apply a liberal amount of Anti-sieze compound on the entire covered area of the pipes before you put the new mufflers on.

Get the stuff in little blister packs at the parts counter or just buy a small tube of it.

(Same stuff you use on spark plugs)

Ok, thanks to everybody for the tips. I 'll have to wait until next week end since I plan to use the bike during the week to go work.

Recomendations on where to get the rubber mallet? I don't need to cut the clamps since I can take them off easily. The problem is once I remove it and also take off the bushing it is almost impossible to remove the muffler.

Tried to bend each one of the pieces of the beginning of the muffler, but since to be melted.

Joe recomended to heat the pipes with a torche, to make the muffler get hot enough to have some expansion...

I think that could be a good idea.

Again, thanks to each one of you guys.

Next week I 'll let you know how it ends.

Playboy,

No, is not the 97 RS, is the new 2000 VR. It comes with HD pipes, but they 're really noisy for my taste and my neighbors too.

Wife start to tell me that she liked more the 97RS since she didn't hear me when I arrived at home....

You know the history, got the standard ones and tried to change it.

Didn't work.

Carlos

:confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24:

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Carlos,

Sometimes they need a little persuasion, grab the back end of the pipe, where the exhaust comes out. Rock it side to side as far as you can, then up and down as far as you can. This will help "open" the slip on over the headers. While pulling backwards and away from the headers, rotate it in a circular motion. Keep doing this and they will come off. Like mentioned take some emory cloth or 320 grit sandpaper and clean the headers as clean as you can get them before you install the stock pipes....:2cents:

I agree if you remove the clamp and bolts then run the bike to let the pipes get hot. Use welding or leather gloves and from the far back end grab them , the up and down , side to side motion while pulling. It will move a very little at first and then increasingly more. I personally wouldn't put a torch on them to heat them, the motor can do that for you. Once off let them cool down, then clean , anti seize and reassemble. Test ride requires a stop at an ice cream shop.

Carlos,

Sometimes they need a little persuasion, grab the back end of the pipe, where the exhaust comes out. Rock it side to side as far as you can, then up and down as far as you can. This will help "open" the slip on over the headers. While pulling backwards and away from the headers, rotate it in a circular motion. Keep doing this and they will come off. Like mentioned take some emory cloth or 320 grit sandpaper and clean the headers as clean as you can get them before you install the stock pipes....

:2cents:

X2, this is what I did.......:080402gudl_prv: