IGNORED

what is this?

pmj423

I cracked open my faring today and removed the cassette player. Anyway I dropped the spacer for the light bar. I thought it went into the front cowling. so I took them both off. I found what looked Like a horn under the shifter side. Hit the button and sure enough it is a horn. I thought the horn was on the break side with the chrome cover circled in the picture. Hit the button & nothing happened there. So is this a horn or what?

The bike has two horns the chrome one usually stops working fairly soon. You can adjust the screw on the back and it may start working again, however most folks either let it be or replace it with something like a wolo or stebel compact air horn.

Warranty ran out in April. Bummer. I wanted a louder horn anyway. Guess this just makes getting s new one Easyer to justify. LOL

Thanks for the info

If your going to get a Stebel horn for the bike, you might consider these 2 things. They are made by Carbon One, he's one of our member vendors and we'll worth the no hassle of a plug and play setup.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3727&title=stebel-horn-wiring-harness&cat=24

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3726&title=carbon-one-stebel-horn-bracket&cat=24

Thanks for the info squidly. What do they sound like? I would like something that is real deep like a semi or train. A real attention getter.

They will scare the beejeezus out of a cager on a cell phone! They will definitely get your attention, many of the members use them on both 1st and 2nd gens. Not a real deep tone, but loud as hell

:yikes: Thats where the wiring upgrade is good to get as it feeds the horn all the power it wants. The anemic factory wires that hook to the horn just dont let enough juice down there to feed the horns. Larry's harness actually uses the factory horn wires to control the relay that comes with it.

They will scare the beejeezus out of a cager on a cell phone! They will definitely get your attention, many of the members use them on both 1st and 2nd gens. Not a real deep tone, but loud as hell

:yikes: Thats where the wiring upgrade is good to get as it feeds the horn all the power it wants. The anemic factory wires that hook to the horn just dont let enough juice down there to feed the horns. Larry's harness actually uses the factory horn wires to control the relay that comes with it.

AND disconnect the factory harness from the horn under the left lower and run a larger second wire from the relay to one terminal on it. Then put a short ground wire from the other horn terminal to one of the horn mounting bolts. The combination of that horn and the Stebel is REALLY loud!!! :shock3:

Thanks for the info squidly. What do they sound like? I would like something that is real deep like a semi or train. A real attention getter.

Physical size determines the tone.

If you want it to sound like a semi or a train then you need something that big, There's just no getting around the laws of physics.

If you want it to sound like a train.....

Might be tricky to mount......:whistling:

Mini boat horns mounted up front. Wired to a relay, fused, work good with the stock horn button. Not quite as koud as air horns, but a lot better than stock. I left the right side horn connected, eliminated the one hidden behind the lower cowl, so a total of three.