IGNORED

1st gen spin on filter. Which do you use?

1st gen adapters-which spin on filter do you use?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. 1st gen adapters-which spin on filter do you use?

• WIX
    • NAPA
    • AC Delco
    • Fram
    • Motorcraft
    • Bosch
    • Other make a comment

Guys, I have had my spin on Rivco adapter since 1991. I have been using Puro-classic 10193. Now after just 1600 miles I have noticed my oil is way darker than ever using my usual Mobil1 20w50. I can't see the back of the sight glass w/o a flashlight. And I am going to change it soon. NOTE: I have dyno tuned the bike, not running rich and getting 38 mpg 75mph hiway and 43 mpg back rural roads every day.

Maybe The filters are now made different or I got a bad one that the "bypass" was stuck. Thus not filtering. I once used a PureOne and found it was way too restrictive. Actually significantly lowered the oil pressure showing on my gauge. And thus used only the Purolator-classic for 20 years. Q: What spin on filters do you guys use? Wix, STP, Napa ??? ANd how clean does your oil come out?...obviously clean is a relative term. I always find the sight glass on the centerstand a good gauge.

Edited by jasonm.

At first I used the FRAM that came with the kit but went to the Purolator Pure One. The Purolator Pure One is one of only a very few that is approved by Cummins for use in their diesel engines (which I have 3 of and used the Purolator filter from the time they approved it. Every oil analysis shows this filter is working better than even the Dodge or Fleetguard filters.

Diesels and other large engines run higher volume than our small engines and can push thru the thiickest of fil ters.The Pure-one is very THICK filter. Thus restrictive. I used the PURE-One once. And the fact that my gauge showed big lowering in pressure scared me. I kept it in for one day. Have not used that exact type since. FYI..my bike had a new oil pump 6 years ago. So my pump is not bad. Oil filters are a compromise, excellent filtering rarely goes with excellent pressure in our small engines. There are many write ups on this. I think Mobil1 filters are good at giving both. But no one stocks mobil M1-105 filter. Lastly , the Fram 3950 used to have six large inlet holes. NOW they are tiny holes. Something that surely is restrictive before it even gets to the actual filter element. Compare others to Fram and you will say ..."what the F#&@". I stopped using them when they changed the design. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by jasonm.

Please excuse me as I'm not familar with my 84 xvz1200 Venture Royale just bought it is it a MKll?

also I noticed that the oil filter is totally different then my other bike which has a screw on filter, is it possible to replace the oil filter with a screw on type and as well when I went to the local Yamaha dealer to inquire about the oem paper filter and O ring which seems to come separate he was unsure of the product #'s for both the filter and O ring

If anyone has them handy could you please include them with your post. I couldn't find them in the handbook aor service manual:confused24:

Thanks

Tim "the drifter"

Your 84 is a Mk I. I have the same oil filter setup on my 85, and had the same question. Just changed my oil Sunday and put a new vesra filter on, but was a little concerned at how tight it had to be to not leak. Here is a link to the part at motorcycle superstore.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/87/18609/15693/PITEM/Vesrah-Racing-Oil-Filter-1985-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-1200-Parts.aspx

Edited by spitfire9
more info

I just did an oil change today. I still have the stock canister setup.The price of the FRAM 6002 was ten bucks. This will be my third oil change with this filter and I've never had a problem with a FRAM yet.

The cost for the adapter is 95 bucks...that's the price of about 10 stock oil filters to save me around 5 minutes...max.

I'm more than happy to be a luddite and keep the stock system for as long as I can keep getting filters.

So far, I have yet to add a drop of oil between oil changes and I change the oil once a year. Just this summer I've done around 6000 km and the oil was still in the middle of the sight glass when I drained it. I have no idea how many I did last summer since my last oil change.

I am all about free will and what I prefer has no bearing on what other do...or should do. As it is, I have a very long list of things I'd rather spend a hundred bucks on.