I today purchased a 1984 Venture xvz12. it has the factory exhaust on it. My question is, is there a way to remove the baffles or is this not possible, I am looking for more noise. There is a seam about 3 inches from the narrow tip just after i expands. or is it better to just buy aftermarket. I did read the post about the thrush glass packs. Has anyone straight piped one.

My next question is how many miles do these bikes last. the one I bought has 42k it runs great still has lots of power, is it getting time to retire it and sell it for parts

WELCOME ! :cool10:

At 42K it is just getting broken in. Spend some time on the forum here and you can find out a lot about your bike. The search function works best this way :

Top right in the lower blue line click on "Search"

Drop down to the bottom where it states " Google Search"

Click in the little circle that has the www. venture address.

Type in a few cue words on your search and click the "Google Search" button.

You will get a lot of info on your questions.

If you can't find the answers...just ask here and you will get answers, comments, jokes, harassment, your thread hijacked by at least one if not more.... and you will love every minute of it...

Then you pay your $12.00 to join and enjoy every minute and penny of it.. :happy65:

My next question is how many miles do these bikes last. the one I bought has 42k it runs great still has lots of power, is it getting time to retire it and sell it for parts

Mine has 153,000 miles and runs great. Are you sure your's is not 142,000 miles? Do you know any history on the bike? 42K is less than 1,500 miles per year and 142,000 is less than 5,000 miles a year. For many of us, 5,000 miles would be a slow year. I have had years where I put 10,000 to 12,000 miles on my bike and I am not a big rider compared to some of these guys.

We hope you join and it will be the best $12 you will ever spend on your bike.

RandyA

SELL IT QUICKLY!! IT WILL BLOW UP AT 42,500!! I'LL GIVE YA 12 BUCKS FOR IT SO YOU CAN JOIN HERE AND THEN BUY ANOTHER THAT HAS HAD THE MOD WE KNOW ABOUT THAT MAKES THEM LAST FOREVER!!!

All the above is true. WELCOME!! There are several ways to change the sound of the pipes. A set of Jardine Mufflers is one of the best and can be found on Flea-Bay from time to time. Or you can drill out stock but you are stuck with what ya get. I'm sure others will give a opinion. They usually do when I comment on something....... I don't think they have anything to do.:whistling:

I'm pretty certain it only has 42. it sat for 15 years in the corner of a barn. I was going through my grandfathers old cattle barn she was under a tarp and behind a stack of old sheets of plywood leaning against the wall. at first I thought it was a drill press till i moved all the wood.

I always thought he sold the bike. the last time I seen it was when he rode it to my graduation party. Shortly after that he broke his leg oddly enough from doing something to the bike. He says the kickstand started sinking in gravel and he tried to catch it.

Well i got the carbs pulled cleaned and installed, oil changed took it for a spin I think I need to re sync the carbs she shudders while lugging but is scary powerful. is it common for these to almost whistle while driving.

He sold it to me for 500 but he said i'd have to get it out on my own it took 4 hours but i got it. All that is left to d it replace the front only rotor and put on new tires, not to mention covering some rust on the horns.

My bike was the same way, Owner died, sat for years only has 15K on in. I had to deal with some issues but after 6 months and a lot of help from here, she's perfect. I have at LEAST 85K worry free miles left.

As far as the baffles question, IDK how to pull these baffles but I would say keep her quiet. If you plan on long distance riding, the loud pipes will drive you nuts & you'll really prefer to hear the stereo. NOW if you are making a solo bobber out or it, I would use drag pipes!

Welcome aboard!

Jemery, one thing you need to do before you go screaming down the road is the tires. With these being 15+ years old, I would be scared of them. When you do replace the rear tire, make sure you take the rearend off and remove the driveshaft and grease both ends and the splines inside the rear hub.

RandyA

Jemery, one thing you need to do before you go screaming down the road is the tires. With these being 15+ years old, I would be scared of them. When you do replace the rear tire, make sure you take the rearend off and remove the driveshaft and grease both ends and the splines inside the rear hub.

RandyA

tire thread! woohoo! go glasspacks, like me!

Do yourself a huge favor, open up the manual and do all the pm up to date on your bike and get familiar with her, replace all fluids ( Brake, clutch, cooling, forks, oil and final drive) , grease as directed above and while you have the rear off replace the rubber. Check the plugs and air filters. If you are afraid of doing the tires you can take the tire to a bike shop , price them out, and have them do it for a small fee. Check date codes on any rubber you replace it with. Now you will be in for a safe riding with peace of mind. That $12.00 membership fee will pay dividends when you need a little help or hit a maintenance day and make some great connections with some of the the finest people on this earth. . .

Good advice. got both tires ordered I am currently looking for a manual as mice have decided the old one was needed more by them.

List of things done.

oil and filter changed, coolant drained and replaced, gas drained off and filled carbs disassembled cleaned and reinstalled. front only brake resivoir and caliper drained refilled and bled.

Plugs and wires seem fine. is there anything I may have missed

Service rear master cylinder and flush the lines!! The rear brake is linked to one of the front brakes. There is a proportioning valve mounted on the rear master cylinder. Also be very careful removing the fill plug on the rear resovoir as several of us have broken the resovoir unscrewing.

Although the plugs and wires may look good just remember how old those wires are. They may work fine in dry weather but the first time it rains it may leave you stranded or limping home.

There is a ton of "other" maintenance issues that you will njeed to attend to as time progresses to make your ride even nicer, things like replacing the steering head bearings, rebuilding your front shocks, servicing your swing arm and rear shock arm, etc but none are real immediate issues...