IGNORED

whats the best replacement plug wires?

last night i was having issues with not all cylinders running at the same time, i had no to low fire on a rear cylinder so i popped of the cap while running to see if the was any change in idle. and as soon as the cap cleared the plug i got some good zaps so it would seem my caps and wires are no good.

where can i get the best replacement?

As far as quality and price goes....... Make your own! Buy bulk wire and new caps at NAPA or any parts store and cut to fit.

I think the 7mm solid core wire (same as OEM me thinks) is the old workhorse of plug wires. Some sets sold are 8mm and you will need to shave the wire casing a bit to get it to slide into the cap.

Mike

The caps have inside resistors, the caps should have a built in resistance of about 10kohms. If significantly higher, likely the resistors are corroded/melted. The plug end can be opened with screwdriver and resistors/pieces removed. You can try to clean with pencil eraser. Don't loose small pieces. I found it easier to just replace all 4 caps.

If you got good Zaps from it that shows you wire is firing. Take apart and clean caps carefully and snip off end of wire as Randy said and you might be surprised. But it never hurts to replace them. Probally 25+ yr old wiring.WELCOME!! For 12 bucks we will amaze ya. And even give you some tips on that scoot....

As far as quality and price goes....... Make your own! Buy bulk wire and new caps at NAPA or any parts store and cut to fit.

I think the 7mm solid core wire (same as OEM me thinks) is the old workhorse of plug wires. Some sets sold are 8mm and you will need to shave the wire casing a bit to get it to slide into the cap.

Mike

the correct term is stranded COPPER core. Yes 7mm hypalon I think is the name/type. I replaced all my wires years ago. The OEM wires are VERY good quality. But you can get the right type at a good auto or power equipment store. Do not use radio suppression auto wire. But you may be wasting you money. READ> Yes you will ALWAYS get zapped touching the cap. It's plastic...and really not the greatest insulator. But that's what they use today. But the internals oxidize and that's where the issue usually is. Your caps if original are cleanable. Just need a good slot screwdriver. Before disassembly, you can "ohm them out" and check the resistance. 10k is normal. Inside there is the spring, VERY small brass washer and resistor. tHIS IS THE ORDER they are to be reinstalled. Clean only the metal parts, not the resistor w/2000 paper. I have seen the brass washer corrode away. I went around in circles for months with spark issues and found these causes and more. As for Autolite plugs.....for those with 20/20 or better vision. The Autolites have poorly cut threards when compared to the NGK or Denso plugs. AKA- they will wear into the heads like sand paper. UGH. something I bet no one has looked at..Ya ya ya I know you used them for years. I suggest you may want to stop.

Edited by jasonm.