IGNORED

Handlebar riser options

My handlebars don't seem to be quite right. Seems like I have to reach a little farther than is really comfortable. I don't really notice it until a longer ride. It seems like the handlebars are *just* far enough away that I end up tensing up my arms, shoulders and neck. Once I realize I'm doing it, I can try to relax a little but usually by the time I've noticed I'm already in pain and it's too late. I ran across these for the RSV

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/200603911792?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&viewitem==&item=200603911792=&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1413]Yamaha Royal Star 1.5" Handlebar Risers Venture | eBay[/ame]

and I'm wondering if they have something similar (or if these ones fit) for a RSTD. I don't think I need a whole lot, just need to move the handle bars about an inch closer to me.

Thanks folks!

I believe the Flanders part number is 650-08783. I put these on my RSTD and it was a HUGE difference in my back. Not only was my upper back bothering me, but my lower back even more so after a long ride. As I recall these bars provide one inch of rise, and 2 inches of pull back over stock. I did have to re-route the front brake flexible line, but all cables were of sufficient length. The three greatest mods I have made, all based on the great information on this site are:

Flanders Bars

V Max rear drive gears

Russell day long seat

I have made many other small mods based on the info on this website and it has been terrific. My last bike was a Harley Road King, and it is no comparison to his motorcycle in any way. I will add, make sure you have tire pressure to within 10% of max, and run about 5 psi in the front forks and no less than 20psi in the rear shock IF you ride alone and have no package load. 35 psi if you have a passenger. Low speed handling is difficult with low tires and / or low suspension air. I found this combination works great.

don't know if you have one but a drivers backrest was the best thing i did stopped me slouching and set me a bit closer to the bars :backinmyday:

Yep, the PO must have had a backrest put on cause it came with the bike.

Any recommendations for where to buy the bars from?

irbk, when I was searching for the correct bars for me...before I ever found this forum, I did an exhaustive search of every handlebar that Flanders sells, as I have bought bars from them in the past. Having had such great service, and the quality if their bars, I knew they would have the best product for me.

I did all of my measurements (remember...I had not found this forum yet), and had a darn good idea of exactly what I needed in a new set of bars, to make the bike right for me.

I finally concluded that the Flanders bars # 650-08783 were the best...and it turns out...the only baras I could change over to.

I contacted more than a dozen online vendors trhat claimed to be selling this part #. When I went through the process and finally got to the payment page of each vendor, it turns out that each and everyone of them were out of stock, or discontinued for this item.

I even tried to order the bars directly from Flanders, as I have done in the past. But Flanders was also out of stock.

The only vendor that had...one...set of bvars actually in stock was Buckeye Performance.

I should have ordered that one set...right then and there. I prograstinated.

I made personal contact with Jim Flanders, the son of the man that the company is named for. Jim Flanders told me that this part # was discontinued, and that it was all daddy's fault. (of course...sure). I explained to him the importance to RSTD riders to have this set of bars available to them. It was not just a luxury, but a neccessity.

I went ahead and bought that last set of bars from Buckeye Performance, from Rick, the owner. His info is on this forum in 1,001 places. Rick said that he is working with Jim Flanders to TRY to get another run of these bars, so that Buckeye Performace can be the single place for RSTD owners to get them.

As of right now, I do not know of anyone that has these bars in stock. You may want to contact Rick, at Buckeye Performance, http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/

and see what he has worked out with Jim Flanders.

Then...I found this forum. All the info I read (thank you all) was that the Flanders # 650-08783 were the one and only choice of smart RSTD riders. Whew...would have saved me a lot of time and effort if I had found this forum first.

So, irbk, contact Rick at Buckeye Performance, and beg and plead for a new set of bars.

:whistling:

• 1 month later...

Got the bars today. Dropping the bike off tonight to get the new bars put on (while I could do it myself, with a lot of help from Jim, I figured that the $100 the dealership is going to charge me is less costly than 4 or 5 hours of our time). Looking forward to trying the new bars out!

Got the bars today. Dropping the bike off tonight to get the new bars put on (while I could do it myself, with a lot of help from Jim, I figured that the $100 the dealership is going to charge me is less costly than 4 or 5 hours of our time). Looking forward to trying the new bars out!

Did you get them through Buckeye? I'm wanting a set for my rstd. Been following this thread. Let us know how they work out please.

Did you get them through Buckeye? I'm wanting a set for my rstd. Been following this thread. Let us know how they work out please.

I got them through Phat, http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Flanders_Handlebars_Wide_Max_Pullback_Handlebars_p/650-08783.htm

No problems with them saying they "were in stock" until you tried to actually order them and then suddenly they were out of stock. Only real "issue" with ordering them is that they were a gift to me. Mom tried to have them ship to my house but because it was her first order with Phat they wouldn't ship to a non-billing address. It got to be a little bit of a to-do but we got it squared away.

I'm looking forward to picking up the bike tonight and seeing how they feel.

he talked me into geting the SS lines and cable

Since I didn't have to do anything but re-route some of the lines I didn't see much reason to worry about replacing them. Plus since I didn't do the work and it was cheaper to NOT have them run new lines but to reroute the existing lines (donno, go figure, I figured it would be easier, thus cheaper to run new lines but whatever) I'd let the shop worry about it. I'm sort of ticked off enough that they charged me $30 to "install new grips" which is BS because they would have had to take the grips off the old bars to put on the new bars anyway, so if anything by just having them install new grips I made their job easier and I got charged $30 more for it. rackin frackin...

I digress, I can't pick up the bike today. Raining like crazy between the shop and home. I'm not comfortable enough on the bike to ride when it's wet much less in the rain. Will have to wait for another day.

Picked up the bike on Saturday. WAY more pullback than I was expecting. I actually feel like it might be a bit TOO much. Rather than having my arms outstretched as they were with the stock bars, my elbows are almost right at my side. I'm going to play with the bar height a little and see if raising the bars just a hair moves the bars enough away to be a touch more comfortable. Definitely more comfortable then the stock bars. With these bars I found myself driving much more aggressively. Just need to find that "sweet spot" I think and I'm really golden. Weirdest thing is I feel like I've got to get used to driving the bike all over again. Riding with the new bars was like riding the first week I got the bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Here is a bit of a dumb question but, what is the diameter of the handlebars on the RSV? I'm new to here so please forgive me if this question has been already asked.

I don't see that there was a response to your question. The bars on the RSV are 1"

I was the 1" post after I sent mine

When I put the new bars on my bike it felt like I was riding a different bike. It ook some getting use to , but I love them. :322:

are these a good fit for a RSV or are the stock RSTD better? I need them to be a little farther back than the stock RSV

The part numbers for the Flander bars for the RSV are different than for the RSTD. As for which is better, I had the Flanders bars on my '99 RSV and then stumbled upon a used set of RSTD bars when I bought my '05 RSV. So I decided to give the RSTD bars a try. The RSTD bars are certainly better than the stock bars but in my opinion, were not as good as the Flanders bars. So, my recommendation would be Flanders but NOT the ones for the RSTD. You should be able to find the part number if you do a bit of searching here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, anyone on here have experiance with differance between RSTD handlebars or Barons 1.5 Inch Riser Extensions - Yamaha Venture.

Seem like both would do the trick to bring the grips back and inch or so. I already have the handlebars, just wondering about the amount of work. Haven't found a video or description of replacing the RSV handlebars