IGNORED

What's the easiest way to access the coils?

I'm going over my 87 Standard, trying to resolve this miss that the ol' gal acquired.

While I'm at it, I'm changing the carb diaphragms, which has needed done for a while, small holes in the first two I changed out. (A much easier job than I thought it'd be)

I got a set of replacement spark plug wires, and a set of used coils on the way just in case I need one. The coils don't seem easily accessible, and I'll need to get at them to replace the wires, and I'd like to check the coils themselves while I'm at it.

Do I need to remove the entire fairing, or can I get at them by removing the battery or what?

I'm sure if I do a search I'll find the checkout procedure for the coils, but if anyone knows the quick and dirty on that, please lemme know.

I'll also take a look at the plug for the TCI that I've seen mentioned so much.

Any info on not making more of a job of this than need be would be appreciated.

Thanks.:confused24:

Just to check the coils, and replace the wires, yea you'd need to remove the fairings because you need to remove the inner side panels to get easy comfortable access to them.

You on'y need to remove the air box, and battery if you're going to do a TCI or Ignition coil removal/replacement.

On 1st gen, Remove air cleaner box, and remove the battery box. You then have fair access to the coils. Its not necessary to remove the fairings.

Also, good time to remove the TCI, if you have not as yet done so, and dry out the moisture from inside the TCI, and resolder the connectors to the circuit board inside the TCI.

Be sure to clean the pins on the TCI.