IGNORED

Heating Issue

Verner

I just purchased an '07 Royal Star Venture with just under 10,000 miles on it. She is my first liquid cooled motorcycle, but I think that she is making too much engine heat as my feet are getting too warm and I am feeling more heat than I think that I should for a liquid cooled bike. Granted the ambient temperatures are a bit warm here in Georgia, but I still think she is running a bit warm. I had the coolant system flushed about three weeks ago but no change. I do not have a hot engine light at all. Would really like to get this fixed. My next step is to replace the thermostat, but looking for some advice first.

Thanks.

Verner

I just purchased an '07 Royal Star Venture with just under 10,000 miles on it. She is my first liquid cooled motorcycle, but I think that she is making too much engine heat as my feet are getting too warm and I am feeling more heat than I think that I should for a liquid cooled bike. Granted the ambient temperatures are a bit warm here in Georgia, but I still think she is running a bit warm. I had the coolant system flushed about three weeks ago but no change. I do not have a hot engine light at all. Would really like to get this fixed. My next step is to replace the thermostat, but looking for some advice first.

Thanks.

Verner

Not sure of the thermostat opening temp, but I suspect it is around 190 degrees. If this is the case it will keep the engine at a minimum of 190 degrees, so when it opens, it sends 190 degree coolant into the radiator. That means the air coming through the radiator picks up this temp and dumps it right on your feet. So, highway pegs to get your feet out away from the hot air is a good idea.

Hey Verner,

Considering that you have a 1.3 Liter, 4 cylinder, unshielded engine, between your legs, with open exhaust pipes running down both sides of your bike, it's a wonder that we ALL don't burst into flames!:crackup:With summertime temps running in the 80+ degree range, your bike is operating normally. If that thermostat was stuck closed, you would have coolant shooting 5 feet in the air. Some suggestions to keep the heat off of your lower body would be to give up the sandals and shorts for a good pair of jeans, thick socks, and a good pair of ankle high leather boots. Stop lugging thru town, and get that bike out on the open road where you can get some air moving across that engine. I hardly feel the heat at all when I am going 75MPH! :doh: The point is Verner, it's summertime, it's hot, and this is the price you pay to ride one of the "coolest" bikes on the planet. So "man up", put on some gear, and get that bike out on the highway mister! You never see a dog complain about how hot it is in a car, as long as he can stick his head out the window, and let his tongue hang out!:confused24:

(I hope you will take this insight in the spirit in which it was meant) :thumbsup2:

Earl

Verner: I was just up in your part of the country a couple weeks ago. It was 106 when I came thru by Gainsville Ga @ 6:30 in the evening. Yea it feels hot and is. Not a lot of air flow right at feet and alot of heat seem to gather there, Rad, pipes, heads etc. If your able slide your feet out to highway pegs or atleast outside part of floorboards and you should increase some flow around your feel. Dont lug the motor if in town as it seems to build more heat instead of running a little higher RPM's

You think we got it bad? Check out the Kawaski fourms under the Voyagers. LOL them guys are cooking in the winter time.

There are some "vents" someone around here makes to go on the outside of the leg fairings to hel direct some air in on your legs.

you need to try a kawasaki z13 inline 6 on a hot day in city traffic i had strange noise looked down and the petrol was boiling, looked into it up on z13 forum in england to find it was a normal thing now that was hot. the RSV feels like it has air conditioning . :backinmyday:

i've put approx. 30k on my 07 RSTD and unless i wear boots and good socks my feet (especially my right foot) get real hot. my fan works properly, so i gotta believe this is s.o.p. for this bike. best of luck with your new ride.

This is normal, especially in Georgia. There are lower air wings that can be installed on the lower crash bars that you can open and catch air and blow that cool 95 degree air past your feet sitting next to the 200 degree air....yeah that meant to be sarcastic.

Here's a set on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Tinted-Lower-Wind-Vents-for-Fits-99-11-Royal-Star-Venture-/330768510673?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0356eed1&vxp=mtr

This summer my wife and I were coming back from a trip in Ontario and the temp on my bike which is 2nd gen was 220 in town and then dropped to 190 on highway I have wind deflectors to direct air by the motor to help cool the bike and rider down a little bit . they work good .

Barry:mustache:

well............. with 112,000+ miles on my 07 RSV - I know what you mean.

Here around Phoenix it gets a bit warm too.

As previously recommended - add some highway pegs in front of the floorboards.

I rest my hells on the front-end of the floorboards, balls or toes up on the highway pegs.

When positions just right - it allows a bit of wind to blow up the pants-legs.

ooo - don't be surprized if you get an occasional bee sting on you calf.. it's not soo bad ;-)

ride safe.......

My neighbor, another rider, limits himself to only certain days with the the "perfect" riding conditions. Not too hot, not too cold and God forbid there be rain in the forecast. He's actually got his bike out a couple times this year.

He was giving me grief the other day when it was 88 degrees out when I was leaving at 7 AM. (while he was warming up his cars A/C to cool it off) He was asking "Why the heck you riding in this kind of weather?"

I told him because it's hard to get the car up across the sidewalk to drive through peoples sprinklers!

So far that is keeping him quiet.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Mike

Hey Verner,

Considering that you have a 1.3 Liter, 4 cylinder, unshielded engine, between your legs, with open exhaust pipes running down both sides of your bike, it's a wonder that we ALL don't burst into flames!:crackup:With summertime temps running in the 80+ degree range, your bike is operating normally. If that thermostat was stuck closed, you would have coolant shooting 5 feet in the air. Some suggestions to keep the heat off of your lower body would be to give up the sandals and shorts for a good pair of jeans, thick socks, and a good pair of ankle high leather boots. Stop lugging thru town, and get that bike out on the open road where you can get some air moving across that engine. I hardly feel the heat at all when I am going 75MPH! :doh: The point is Verner, it's summertime, it's hot, and this is the price you pay to ride one of the "coolest" bikes on the planet. So "man up", put on some gear, and get that bike out on the highway mister! You never see a dog complain about how hot it is in a car, as long as he can stick his head out the window, and let his tongue hang out!:confused24:

(I hope you will take this insight in the spirit in which it was meant) :thumbsup2:

Earl

Just an FYI. I do not ride in shorts, or sandals. Boots and jeans. Dockers if I am going to work. And yes, I was on the highway when it was 106F. And yes, it does seem to be more tolerable when I am at 75mph, I just thought the heat was a bit excessive for a liquid cooled machine.

But thanks for your comments Mr. Helpful.

Thanks gang. I just thought the heat was a bit excessive for it being a liquid cooled bike. I cannot seem to be able to view the fan so I can't tell if it is working.

Headed down to Florida tomorrow after work so we will see how she runs.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

Verner

After comfortably riding a friends RStar Tour Delux, I too was surprised with the heat quantity of my just purchased (06) Venture when the ambient got above 80F. Find I prefer my naked '75 Wing past 80F but the wife misses the luggage.

Am contemplating replacing the engine guards in the summer with bare Delux bars and removing the shields,radio & cruise electrics - I ride only to ride. Will put the Venture version bars back on when the snow flies.

Rode a new Indian that had air adjustable lowers - very simple and very efficient.

JT

Verner

The factory boys did an excellent wind penetration design, but I think they failed to consider adjustable wind vents. My new ('06) Venture is not my first liquid cooled, but my first FULL fairing. I find I draw out the naked '75 Wing when the temp expected to climb above 80F during the ride.

My friend's RStar Tour is most pleasant all summer and am contemplating swapping the Venture's engine guards with RS Tours to remove the shields (radio & cruise which I don't turn on) and reinstall when the snow starts to fly.

Great cruising machine.

A4Forever