IGNORED

How to paint

Trader

I'm thinking I'd like to paint the trailer to match the bike...but it's a polypro...whatever plastic. Not exactly the same as the picture...but you know the grey "Explorer" brand car topper box.

I'm not sure if paint would stick to it.

Any suggestions?

Lousy picture...but you get the idea

The frame (metal areas) I would paint with acrylic enamel or a rustoleum type of paint.

Then paint the carrier section with a spray paint formulated for plastic. Krylon and Rustoleum both make products that work well for these types of surfaces. Apply the spray paint in the same way that you applied the primer. Apply two to three thin coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly before applying another.

A lot depends on exactly what plastic it is made from.

Many (not all) car toppers are made from polyethylene.

There is nothing that will stick well to polyethylene.

The process that I have found that works best is;

1. Wash with dawn dish soap and water.

2. Wash with alcohol and put on gloves. now that it is clean you do not want to make any fingerprints by touching the plastic with skin.

3 .Sand thoroughly with 220 grit. yes it will be fuzzy.

4. Knock the fuzz off with 400 grit, just enough to knock off some of the fuzz, you want to leave the scratches from the first sanding. All of those scratches is what the paint will be trying to hang on to.

5. Wash with alcohol again.

6. Apply a coat of plastic bumper primer per instruction on the can.

7. Apply a light but complete coat of sandable primer in a color that contrasts with the color of primer that you want under the paint.

8. Apply a medium coat of sandable primer in your choice of color.

9. Wet sand with 400 wet/dry, do NOT sand thru the first coat of primer, that is why you want a contrasting color so that you know when you are getting close. watch your edges.

10. From this point you have a good base to continue with your favorite prime and paint process.

A bleach bottle is the same material and good to practice the process on.